Uplander wheel bearing adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a pair of Callihan wheel bearings from ebay for $69, because both front wheels were shaking like Michael J fox. One arrived with a dent on the ABS sensor shell, deforming the seal and rendering it useless. The seller has another on the way with no mention of returning the damaged one.
I decided to repair the worse of the two sides today and found the axle nut loose, like two fingers on the 1/2" ratchet loose. One of the 13mm heads on the bearing bolts decided to start rounding AFTER it was already broken loose.
Everything went back together fine with blue Loctite paste, including the axle nut(wish I had red for that though). The axle has no means for mechanically locking the nut, no cotter hole or key way for swagging the nut or anything.
I knocked the studs out of the old hub thinking it couldn’t hurt to have spares.

Found these torque specs online

Fastener Tightening Specifications
Application Specification--------------------------------------Metric-- English
Brake Caliper Bleeder Valve - Front (J41, JL9, JM4)-----11 N•m-- 97 lb in
Brake Caliper Bleeder Valve - Rear (JL9)------------------11 N•m-- 97 lb in
Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt - Front (J41, JM4)-------------115 N•m-- 85 lb ft
Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt - Front (JL9)-------------------130 N•m-- 96 lb ft
Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt - Rear (JL9)--------------------115 N•m-- 85 lb ft
Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolt - Front (J41, JL9, JM4)-----35 N•m-- 26 lb ft
Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolt - Rear (JL9)------------------35 N•m-- 26 lb ft
Brake Hose Fitting Bolt - Front and Rear------------------40 N•m-- 30 lb ft
Axle Nut -------------------------------------------------118 lb ft
Hub Assembly Bolts ---------------------------------------96 lb ft

118 lb/ft seems very low, but I researched it and found the same answer everywhere I looked.

Last edited:
The axle nut is one time use only, buy a new one and hand torque to spec, no impact. I used an impact once and the nut backed off and the axle was ruined. Check with auto store/NAPA or worst case Dealer.

Originally Posted By: anpconnors
The axle nut is one time use only, buy a new one and hand torque to spec, no impact. I used an impact once and the nut backed off and the axle was ruined. Check with auto store/NAPA or worst case Dealer.

Thanks for the tip, I ordered a pair for $10.59 from NAPA. Part# NOE 6301676

Last edited:
Packaging for the damaged part.
IMG_20150429_150127336_zpspnnorflw.jpg

Dented ABS cover/seal.
IMG_20150420_142015312_zpsbn5czcce.jpg

IMG_20150420_142008229_zpsh8qbxatw.jpg

Threaded flange
IMG_20150429_150430808_zpsp53fv2ym.jpg

Last edited:
I took photos and emailed eBay seller brake_overstock, and he sent me TWO more wheel bearings.

Better packaging.
IMG_20150429_150122134_zps2gatwuqh.jpg

IMG_20150429_150251824_zpswmcpbnuv.jpg

Stock style thread insert.
IMG_20150429_150316408_zpsjzg5z2zt.jpg

I finished the install today with new axle nuts and Red Loctite, and all torqued to spec..

Last edited:
All in all, have to say I am pleased with the purchase and the seller. Time will tell how they hold up. 80383 miles at the time of installation.

Originally Posted By: asand1
I ordered a pair of Callihan wheel bearings from ebay for $69, because both front wheels were shaking like Michael J fox. One arrived with a dent on the ABS sensor shell, deforming the seal and rendering it useless. The seller has another on the way with no mention of returning the damaged one.
I decided to repair the worse of the two sides today and found the axle nut loose, like two fingers on the 1/2" ratchet loose. One of the 13mm heads on the bearing bolts decided to start rounding AFTER it was already broken loose.
Everything went back together fine with blue Loctite paste, including the axle nut(wish I had red for that though). The axle has no means for mechanically locking the nut, no cotter hole or key way for swagging the nut or anything.
I knocked the studs out of the old hub thinking it couldn’t hurt to have spares.

Found these torque specs online

Fastener Tightening Specifications
Application Specification--------------------------------------Metric-- English
Brake Caliper Bleeder Valve - Front (J41, JL9, JM4)-----11 N•m-- 97 lb in
Brake Caliper Bleeder Valve - Rear (JL9)------------------11 N•m-- 97 lb in
Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt - Front (J41, JM4)-------------115 N•m-- 85 lb ft
Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt - Front (JL9)-------------------130 N•m-- 96 lb ft
Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt - Rear (JL9)--------------------115 N•m-- 85 lb ft
Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolt - Front (J41, JL9, JM4)-----35 N•m-- 26 lb ft
Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolt - Rear (JL9)------------------35 N•m-- 26 lb ft
Brake Hose Fitting Bolt - Front and Rear------------------40 N•m-- 30 lb ft
Axle Nut -------------------------------------------------118 lb ft
Hub Assembly Bolts ---------------------------------------96 lb ft

118 lb/ft seems very low, but I researched it and found the same answer everywhere I looked.

What is it with wheel bearings nowdays. Seems like we have gone backward. I had a rear go on my old Forester. Before that, never, ever replaced a wheel bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back