2013 Road Glide 103 CI motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Bob Woods 555 cams, a Cobra air cleaner, SandS power tuned dual headers, Vance and Hines Monster Squared mufflers and an auto tuner.
I tried the NGK Iridium DCPR 7EIX plugs and the bike ran horrible. Backfired and missed at low RPM's. Switched back to plain ole NGK DCPR7E and bike runs great.
Save your money on the 103 motors and buy the $2.75 plugs. Gap them at .40 and ride.
I'll never buy expensive plugs again.
Pete

The spark plugs are actually part of the knock sensing circuit on HD. Using the wrong plugs can mess that up. HD recommends using only the stock plugs.

Ya I've heard that but don't really believe it. The Harley plugs are Champions.
Have always used NGK's with great success.
Pete

I this a waste spark?. No Ir finewire should go on a waste spark iggy. COP loves IR. Biggest advance in plugs in the past 2 decades.

I don't disagree and I have used the SE plugs also. Just what the HD folks always said. They said it had something to do with the resistance value of the plug. Seemed strange to me cause they make actual anti- knock sensors. I just mentioned it as a possibility.

The plugs don't have to be sold by Harley to have the correct resistance value.There are cross reference charts all over that will match the plug to the motor. I use champion plugs bought at the local NAPA store for about $2.50 a piece. It would take some real bull throwing to convince me I need to spend $12 a plug for my bike to run right.,,

Last edited:
Nobody ever said it had to be bought at the dealer. Stock plugs are champion 6R12's.

I would never have bought them but, I will next time. I always thought and was thaught a spark is a spark. A friend gave me his set of Pulstar's that he said he could feel no difference in performance. Then after reading post he did not trust them to stay in his bike.

I put them in my 48, Joker AC with taller 3130e K&N, V&H straight shots, and newest Cobra tuner (can't think of numbers) Not a stock bike, defiantly not a speed demon either. Anyway, first start and everyone after was quicker than ever, feel from the seat was like I had put octane booster in tank. Bike had just a tad more pep. Defiantly the plug, I pulled plugs out, ran bike for a few days before putting then back in. I can't explain or endorsing cause basically was pulled from a similar bike. I'm just stating my thoughts. I know, I've read many plug debates and I'm not trying to start one. I do have a ear for noise and a feel for speed. They helped my bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back