Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hello,

Shell is rolling new gasoline in Canada Shell Vpower Nitro+
Received a letter from shell ....

It sounds like it will have Lubricant in it ! pretty excited

Last edited:
But does it contain ethanol?

I know Shell Vpower premium does not contain ethanol.

Is this a way to introduce ethanol with marketing smoke and mirrors?

It does not say.. I hope not... Because this one of the reasons why I fill up there

I`ve used Shell V-Power petrol and diesel for a few years now since it became avaiable in the UK where it has a large following, its the best fuel on the market for performance, cleaning, mpg and engine longevity.
I wouldn`t use anything else.

Most Shell stations in my area are now charging a whopping 20 cent per liter price bump over the price of regular for their V Power, so I'm sure this will result in another bump. So while it might be a great fuel, I just can't see myself spending this kind of money when Canadian Tire charges only 13 cents more for premium, and Costco's premium price is usually right around the same price that Shell charges for their 87 octane! I can save about $10 a tank buying at Costco over Shell, and I just don't see this new fuel being worth that extra cost to me.

For you guys with feedback systems and closed loop running and knock sensors and computer controlled ignition it might not be worth paying the extra when your car will run just fine on almost any gas out there..

But for thoses of us with carburettors and distributors, who had our cars set up on rolling roads and tuned to within an inch of knock using a certain fuel (in my case it was Shell Vpower) need to pay the extra for the 'right' fuel or the engine doesn't idle very smoothly or make as much power as a result

It seems totally ironic, bordering on blundering -

Shell is rolling out that pdf advert claiming that their cutting edge fuel technology is what made Scuderia Ferrari so competitive... But the driver they have pictured there broke out of his contract and quit the team to go to McLaren Honda (an Exxon-Mobil sponsored team) because the cars under-performed so badly last year!!

Time to remind the poor behind-the-times souls at Royal Dutch to photo shop in a picture of Sebastian Vettel (or Kimi R) if to only give the ad some implied credibility.

Originally Posted By: CentAmDL650
It seems totally ironic, bordering on blundering -

Shell is rolling out that pdf advert claiming that their cutting edge fuel technology is what made Scuderia Ferrari so competitive... But the driver they have pictured there broke out of his contract and quit the team to go to McLaren Honda (an Exxon-Mobil sponsored team) because the cars under-performed so badly last year!!

Time to remind the poor behind-the-times souls at Royal Dutch to photo shop in a picture of Sebastian Vettel (or Kimi R) if to only give the ad some implied credibility.

F1 fuel rules specify that fuel and additives must basically be the same as pump gas available in Europe although the F1 spec is tighter so I don't think Shell vs Mobil is much of a variation. And since F1 Fuel is essentially a top grade pump gas, I don't see an issue bringing up F1 when talking pump gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Patman
Most Shell stations in my area are now charging a whopping 20 cent per liter price bump over the price of regular for their V Power, so I'm sure this will result in another bump. So while it might be a great fuel, I just can't see myself spending this kind of money when Canadian Tire charges only 13 cents more for premium, and Costco's premium price is usually right around the same price that Shell charges for their 87 octane! I can save about $10 a tank buying at Costco over Shell, and I just don't see this new fuel being worth that extra cost to me.

The Costco here I've seen shell trucks and tankers filling Costco tanks so I assume it's shell fuel.

Interesting they are saying it leaves a protective film like oil does. I dose my fuel with tc-w3. Have for years now. I wonder if that's similar to what they are adding to the fuel.
They claim a friction modifier.

Last edited:
Im excited for this fuel as well.. will roll out here in BC starting May 1st and latest by May 4th this is what the lady at my local shell station said..

I do hope they don't increase the price of this nitro anymore.. here in BC.. Vpower is currently 19cents more than the regular which also makes it the most expensive premium gas here in BC... Chevron 91 is around 14cents more than regular gas while Chevron 94 is 17cents more than regular gas... So the VPower here in BC is more expensive and has a lower octane rating when compared to Chevron.. but it seems like that the Vpower pulls harder and gives a better gas mileage on my car..
smile.gif

So the Shell Vpower Nitro is still gonna be 91 octane or would it be bumped up to maybe 93 or 94?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

The Costco here I've seen shell trucks and tankers filling Costco tanks so I assume it's shell fuel.

I have also heard that Costco gets it's fuel from Shell, although I assume it's not the identical formula and doesn't have all the same additives as V Power does.

Originally Posted By: Danno

I doubt it. From what I've heard, it won't be much different than the V-Power we've had for years - it's rebranding more than anything else. As for ethanol content in general, that's a provincial matter, and they'll include it where necessary, regardless of grade. Most Canadian jurisdictions do not require it in premium thanks to the laws allowing for averaging over quantity sold. One of the few that intentionally sells E-10 premium is Husky/Mohawk, but they did that before anyone even considered legislating the matter.

V power nitro should start rolling out May 1st here in BC... some of my friends already saw new stickers on the shell pumps today... sadly the vpower increased by 1 more cent making it 20c more than regular gas..Thats what i saw on the prices today at my local shell station.. the vpower nitro+ hasn't been put up yet but the price already went up by 1cent.. hopefully it won't go up anymore..

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Danno

I doubt it. From what I've heard, it won't be much different than the V-Power we've had for years - it's rebranding more than anything else. As for ethanol content in general, that's a provincial matter, and they'll include it where necessary, regardless of grade. Most Canadian jurisdictions do not require it in premium thanks to the laws allowing for averaging over quantity sold. One of the few that intentionally sells E-10 premium is Husky/Mohawk, but they did that before anyone even considered legislating the matter.

There was a time I used their regular all the time. 90 octane for the price of regular. Great deal.
Then one day I rolled up to the pump and saw 87 octane. I quit buying after that.
I figured the 90 octane part was worthwhile the ethanol penalty. But once they began selling 87 octane with the same 10% ethanol it was no longer worth the cost.
All my personal vehicles are tuned for high octane. With 90 octane ethanol it cost me less per mile vs premium however now that 87 octane with ethanol costs me more per mile than premium pure gasoline.

Hello, This thread prompted me to email Shell and ask about ethanol content.
Go to the 4th paragraph if you're in a rush. Kira

From Shell:
In order to comply with the Government’s Federal Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS), most Shell gasoline contain 10% ethanol by volume. Due to these Federal obligations, nearly every gallon of gasoline sold in the US must contain 10% ethanol. While all states sell gasoline with ethanol, there are limited areas where ethanol free gasoline is sold, mostly for RV (recreational vehicle), marine or outdoor use.

To determine whether the gasoline you are purchasing contains ethanol, you should look for a label on the dispenser indicating ethanol content. All gasoline stations should post a label on the dispenser advising if the gasoline contains ethanol and the maximum amount (depending on State laws, which may or may not make this labeling mandatory for 10% or less ethanol content).

In addition, the decision on whether to offer ethanol free gasoline is determined by each local Shell station as they are all independently owned and operated. And because Shell stations are all independently owned and operated locally, we would not have a listing of which stations offer which grades of fuel.

(Note: However, when talking about Canada: All across Canada, Shell V-Power 91 octane gasoline is free of ethanol, but other grades contain ethanol at the following percentage: - Up to 5% in Shell Silver 89 octane gasoline; - Up to 10% in Shell Bronze 87 octane gasoline)…

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Then one day I rolled up to the pump and saw 87 octane. I quit buying after that.

Yep, that pretty much marked the end of me purchasing their mid-grade and/or regular, too. I don't mind running their 94 octane once in a while in the G37, but Husky allowed their marketing gimmick with respect to regular to be taken away from them. 90 octane E-10 for the price of regular was fine by me, too. But, now that it's just 87 octane E-10 for the price of regular (obviously), I can get that anywhere. Then they gutted the CAA Dollars promotion, so that didn't do them any favours with me, either. I still very much appreciate their hours, though.

Kira: Yep, the ethanol content mandate in the provinces is fulfilled by averaging across the total volume of fuel sold, so stations can get away with having premium pure gas. Places like Husky/Mohawk that Clevy and I brought up were doing ethanol blended fuels before it was mandated at all in North America, and was a big marketing technique for them. Now, really all they can claim is the highest octane available at the pump, which doesn't do much good for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back