why's it so difficult to buy tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the website of my local Goodyear store and requested a quote on a set of tires. 4 days ago. sent them a reminder two days ago. no contact from them. went to DT's site two days ago and placed an order for a set of tires. they were special order so the website stated that someone from the store would call me regarding availability and timeline. nobody has called or contacted me. if it's this difficult to get service BEFORE the sale - I can only imagine what type of headache is involved with problems after sale.... apparently the economy is too good.

Last edited:
I buy tires online from DTD usually on one of their super rebate sales. The last time by chance I waited until the last day and they were out of what I wanted and ended up getting a better tire than I first was going for at the same price.

Tonight got all 4 mounted at Mavis Tire for $60 and that included them mounting my Bobcat 843 tire that had lost its bead seal. I think you get them to give some deals on the day they are open late.

I've been buying since before the internet, an outfit in Maryland called Eurotire had an 800 number in the car mags.

perhaps - but then as a business owner, why have an online presence if you are not willing to support it? I'd be happy to talk face to face - but my local tire stores have "banker's hours" and I work an hour from home. I did talk "face to face" with a local Firestone salesman: he was pushing his cheap tires and did not have premium tires in stock. He also failed to mention a Bridgestone-supported $70 rebate. regardless, back to my original point - in general, you will not succeed in some lines of business if you do not support multiple channels. I'm not the one who setup their websites to portray an internet presence - I am simply trying to use it as intended.

Last edited:
Find another place. This isn't 1990 anymore, either get with the times or go out of business.

I have a shop up the road that gets me a quote the same day. They are awesome, they can mount up to like 26" wheels and are one of the few shops that don't destroy wheels when mounting. Find a shop like that.

My Sam's Club online special order experience was great. That El Monte store has exceeded my expectations several times, esp. the tire center.

Maybe they're getting too much spam, you should try the old ways, pick up a phone and call. They have good rebates on their good tires, sometimes the good tires with the rebates is just a little bit more than their cheap tires without a rebate.

I hate buying tires.

I last shopped @ Town Fair Tire about 30 years ago. The guy is writing up my order, stops and answers the phone, and is now servicing the guy on the phone. Uh, no.

The more mature version of me would be talking to the mgr @ that point

Last edited:
I always get good service at our local Tire Discounters. The guy went across town in 6 inches of snow to get my Cooper cs5 from another store so I didn't get stuck with the michellin defenders.

This is one of my big frustrations, businesses that have online forms but don't respond. Why have them? I prefer online to calling.

John

Out here one of the more popular chains is "Les Schwab". They appear to be a more upscale / full service outfit than most. They might be a good store for some customers, particularly walk-ins who need common sizes and don't care what tires they get, but I've never had much luck doing a transaction with them.

One time I went in the store and asked about a single tire in a size that was becoming uncommon. They didn't have it, but were happy to look it up and order it for me. Everything was arranged and they informed they'd give me a call when they got it in, ETA about 1-2 weeks. I never heard back. About 3 weeks later I called, and they seemed to have no idea why it wasn't in or when it would be. I still never heard back. For all I know, today they might have it laying in a corner somewhere about to be written off due to old age.

I ended up getting the tire through a relative who worked at a car dealership. It wasn't a tire the dealer would ever need, but they quickly located one and got it in 1 week. The price wasn't bad either, but an employee discount might have been involved.

A couple years later I called Les Schwab about mounting some tires I had ordered online. I don't remember what they quoted, but it was expensive. They didn't really want to deal with people who don't buy the store's tires.

At that time, and again just a few months ago, I've looked on their web site while tire shopping. They have almost nothing on it. Just vague descriptions of some unknown store brand tires (ie unresearchable) without a size list or any prices. All the site is really good for is a list of store locations. That might have been acceptable in 1995, but not in 2015.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I always get good service at our local Tire Discounters. The guy went across town in 6 inches of snow to get my Cooper cs5 from another store so I didn't get stuck with the michellin defenders.

6 whole inches?
grin.gif

You know where I buy tires? The closest Independent tire shop.

Like Gas Stations and Banking.... Convenience rules. I don't have to take a day off work just to get tires.

When I can get them after work in the local community and save a vacation day...for something really important.

I get Tires+FREE alignment(when you buy a set of four)and headlamp aim checked via aim machine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

6 whole inches?
grin.gif

Yeah I know it's not a lot for some parts of the USA but many businesses around here will close early for that much snow.

Depends on where you live I guess. I have 2 tire stores within 2 miles of home. there at least 10 tire stores within 10 miles and most will mount carry in tires, ~$70 a set of 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back