Critic Blend 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 3-qt container of oil that is comprised of the following:

½ qt Valvoline SynPower 0w-20

2/3 qt Quaker State Synthetic 0w-20

2 qt Toyota Synthetic 0w-20

For some reason, I feel weird about intentionally putting a witch brew in my car. What do you guys think – should I use it or give it to someone with an oil burner?

My car calls for 0w-20 and I run 5,000 mile intervals.

Last edited:
Heaven help us!!

You've just triggered another ten pages of rants about the inherent evils of mixing oils.

And a three-quart container? What car has a three quart crankcase capacity?

The motor won't notice. Oil is blended to be compatible.Look how different the oil looks from when you pour it in to how it looks when you drain it out.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Heaven help us!!

You've just triggered another ten pages of rants about the inherent evils of mixing oils.

My 2006 Sentra 1.8S takes 3 quarts with filter.

Heaven help us!!

My car takes 4.4 quarts, so I would need to use it with something else.

It's a 5 qt container with 3 qts in it.

Originally Posted By: marine65
Heaven help us!!

Wow! What size oil filter?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Heaven help us!!

My car takes 4.4 quarts, so I would need to use it with something else.

Mix away, Critic, mix away.

I figured if I can "mix" using Pinnacle, Meguiars, and Menzerna, during the same detailing session, it wouldn't hurt to mix ONCE to use up several "leftovers" in my crankcase.

Heaven help us!!

Its 2 1/2 inches top to bottom.
It really is small. but it seems to work.I was a little worried about it being so small so I use a Fram Ultra and leave it on for 2 OCI's.

I just put Castrol HD30, Delo 15w40 and PYB SAE30 in my lawn tractor a half an hour ago. It won't hurt a thing. The mutt mixes I have run in our Lumina from time to time (leftovers) would blow your mind and they all ran just fine.

Don't focus on the mix, focus on what a good BITOG'er you are being by not wasting oil.
grin2.gif

Heaven help us!!

Its 2 1/2 inches top to bottom.
It really is small. but it seems to work.I was a little worried about it being so small so I use a Fram Ultra and leave it on for 2 OCI's.

Don't feel bad.........I have a five quart crankcase capacity and it specs a Fram Ultra 6607, though someone said a 7317 would work fine if I have room.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I have a 3-qt container of oil that is comprised of the following:

½ qt Valvoline SynPower 0w-20

2/3 qt Quaker State Synthetic 0w-20

2 qt Toyota Synthetic 0w-20

For some reason, I feel weird about intentionally putting a witch brew in my car. What do you guys think – should I use it or give it to someone with an oil burner?

My car calls for 0w-20 and I run 5,000 mile intervals.

In your car sure, but not in mine.

OK, what do you have ?

A mixture that when cooled to it's gel point, heated to 150C, and recoooled to the gel point previously measured doesn't split like curdled milk, nor drops solid chunks.

It cannot claim to be either a 0W, nor meet SL/SM/SN, and even calling it a 20 is dubious.

But in all likelihood, it won't damage a thing...particularly in Ca.

If i mix, i tend to stay with in the same company line I.E. all the oils mixed are from mobil or pennzoil, not different manufacturers.

I'd be ok using it....in someone else's car. LOL

Honestly it's fine. While not ideal to mix, they are compatible and won't cause a problem.

I'd add a little tabasco and a pinch of oregano to the mix.
smile.gif

I really don't like mixing engine oils.

To me, the only reason is to save a few bucks in a beater.

This would be of little comfort if you actually did suffer an oil-related engine problem.

Why do you want to do this?
Why would one as anal as you are about caring for your car want to run a blend of oils with a completely unknown set of properties?
You don't know what grade you'll end up with and you don't know whether the blend will meet any reasonably current API spec.
I'd put this witch's brew in an old beater or use it for top-offs.
I would probably avoid putting it in any engine I cared much about.
Having written all of the above, I'm pretty sure that no mix of oils in the climate in which you live would do any harm.
You could probably use a mix of oils for the rest of the car's useful life and you might reduce the life of the Prius's engine by as much as two or three hundred miles.
You might also end up with some varnish, but you'll probably see that eventually anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back