How to change the oil on a 2006 BMW 530I 3.0 L I6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I'm surprised there is so much debate about a dipstick. Differentials don't have them, transfer cases don't have them, manual transmissions don't have them, now many autos and engines don't have them.

When was the last time a mainstream BMW had an oil dipstick? Our '04 Audi had one but the dipstick and its plastic tube both broke before 50k miles - so...

Personally I like both approaches and would not avoid purchasing a vehicle due to oil level checking method.

Did you watch the video linked by Quattro Pete, first response to OP ? It is a real mess changing oil the old fashion way, oil splashed on over the places, the mechanic had several towels to minimize the mess.

You also see that the cartridge oil filter is on top of the engine, changing both oil and filter can easily done without getting under the car, if there is a dipstick tube to siphon oil with an extractor.

I done changing oil and filter in my MB E430 with dress cloth, and not a single drop of oil got on my cloth or on garage floor.

The main point here is with a good oil dipstick tube one can change oil much easier/faster and no mess with a right tool.

If you ever changed oil and oil filter in a Mercedes' engine with a good fluid extractor, you never understand why no other manufacture do the same.

No, I didn't watch the video, but I do have an E60 w/ an I6 and change my own oil now that the maintenance plan has expired. I've not had any issues yet.

I have used an extractor in the past on my parents cars - it is definitely very nice, but I have not felt the urge to buy one for myself. Two of my other cars do have dipstick tubes. I slightly prefer the ease of electronic monitoring, it just wouldn't be a factor in vehicle choice due to ease of oil changes or ease of checking. There are a lot of other things on this board that people use as reasons to buy or not buy a specific car that I also would not consider.

I want a RWD/AWD vehicle with lots of power, excellent handling and brakes, and a good stereo ... That's about it. If I can't have that, I will get as close as I can. Oil change difficulty, or the ability to monitor oil levels from within the car are not factors I'm concerned with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back