linux info docs - how to search next occurrence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must one really Control-x n?

I'm a vi person; one thing's really bothered me about GNU info docs.
To search for text, / works (just like vi).
To search for the next occurrence of the thing I just typed in, I'm used to typing n , but that drops me into the next section of an info doc. (In vi, that would search for the next occurrence of what I just typed. Then, I get lost and have to start over, and usually angrily bail out of info docs.)

How does one search for the next occurrence of text?
Please, no meta-key stuff, my Sun keyboard is not hooked to my Windows box that ssh's into the linux host I'm trying to do this on. There must me a single-keypress that does this.

I just spent another 10 minutes patiently reading through info, where it's trying to teach me all the dozens of keypresses of info but I don't want to remember them because I like vi and all I really want to do is find one keypress to search for the next occurrence of what I just searched for.

Then I Googled, and found:
(what does right-tilde-bracket mean, is that like PC load letter?)

C-x n (search-next)
}
n, vi-like operation

Search for the same string used in the last search command, in the same direction, and with the same case-sensitivity option. With a numeric argument of n, search for nth next occurrence.

By default, the search starts at the position immediately following the cursor. However, if the variable search-skip-screen (see search-skip-screen) is set, it starts at the beginning of the next page, thereby skipping all visibly displayed lines (but not any further lines in the current node).

Thank you!
It was for info --vi-keys ld, where Options is a 1716 line page.

you could also just redirect info to a file "info ld > /tmp/info.txt" and vi that.

Since it is linux there are 127 other ways too. lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back