Flash point over 240 C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically, flash point, true, means not much. everything in range 200 - 250.

And measurement:
cla5.jpg

Presenting a high tech super-duper precision instrument to burn the oil. Basically a heating cooking pot. Proudly called: Cleveland open cup apparatus. Nothing even close to the environment inside a gasoline engine. Oil industry very like it
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
what is the highest oil temperature inside the engine?

Temperature of the hottest surface that oil comes into contact with and can still get back to the sump is the piston undercrown. About 450F. Top ring temperatures can get to 480F, but oil that gets past the second ring can be considered lost. But it would leave deposits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrAdmin
Quote:
Mobil1 5W30 ESP has flash point of 254c.

impressive, a this one? :
0_af031_5c06e1d_XL.jpg

it seems tend to polymerize at high temperature, write off

Not sure about the point of that test. I did UOA of that oil in both of my car. Great results, except that it is not good match for the high sulphur U.S. gas. Due to low starting TBN, there is an issue due to fuel dilution in DI engines. Other than that, if I was living in California, I would use this oil.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
what is the highest oil temperature inside the engine?

Temperature of the hottest surface that oil comes into contact with and can still get back to the sump is the piston undercrown. About 450F. Top ring temperatures can get to 480F, but oil that gets past the second ring can be considered lost. But it would leave deposits.

I was reading that in hydraulic systems they can get localized temperatures that are very hot, 1000F kind of range, but that areas under high pressures as well so little vaporization occurs. Some hydraulic fluids were more susceptible to vaporization and would blacken quite quickly though.
I wonder what the internal bearing temps get to at the piston pin then? Must be very high as well, with the hot piston and the force of combustion loading that bearing.
I suppose there must be some correlation between standard air pressure flash point of oil and what happens in the engine though. But maybe additives affect that as well?

Polymerization may not apply wide. It case by case. I live in urban city, and 15 Km to work can drive up to 40 min, stop and go traffic, race, then stop on streetlight where summer temp can go over 30C, very poor engine cooling, and so and so.

Pick the oil that do not behave like this ( 3 kind I'm certain: PP, M1 0W40, GC 0W30) give me some assurance of deposit minimization in ring area, specifically from polymerization, (as cooking deposits is hard to avoid), especially oil ring, this stop oil consuming, causing troubles.

so far for car 5 y.o. and 100K KM - absolutely 0 (NULL) oil consumption. I may assume my tactic is working. But of course only take apart the engine reveal the truth.

Vehicles which have oil temperature gauge, what is the typical value observed?

Depends on where and how I'm driving. Stop and go I can creep up on 100C (around 95-98C) but on the highway it is closer to 85-90C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back