Mix Oil Brands for Oil Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Careful,your hypocrisy is showing.

How, or is that another gap in your comprehension...I'll break it down.
I used to blend (more than 25 years)
I used to think I was doing good, making my own syn blends
I used to believe that the miscibility standards guaranteed that two SN oils met SN performance.
I used to believe that mixing two 0W oil made a 0W oil.
I installed a frankenbrew in my Nissan, like I oft did.

oh, and yes, nothing blew up...an important performance parameter.

since then
I researched what the miscibility standards actually promised, versus my (mis) understanding.
I found cases where the cold weather performance was severely degraded by mixing.
I changed my belief system.
I dumped my brew early (found an issue in the cold performance maybe also), and am now running straight OCIs.
I reported my findings to others, some of whom have read and comprehended what I found/wrote.

clearly hypocrisy (???)

A thread that you might like to become familiar with.

BBC 5 step guide

33.gif

Not all base oils have similar physical or chemical properties or provide equivalent engine oil performance in engine testing. During engine oil manufacture, marketers and blenders have legitimate needs for flexibility in base oil usage. The API Base Oil Interchangeability Guidelines (BOI) were developed to ensure that the performance of engine oil products is not adversely affected when different base oils are used interchangeably by engine oil blenders.
The API Base Oil Interchangeability Guidelines define the minimum prudent physical and engine testing necessary to ensure that engine oil performance is not adversely affected by substitution of one base oil for another.

Last edited:
Yet every single bottle of oil says that it will mix with every other bottle of oil on the market and is comaptible?????
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Yet every single bottle of oil says that it will mix with every other bottle of oil on the market and is comaptible?????
crazy.gif

That's the beauty of the English language. Compatible doesn't mean "optimal". In this particular context it just means that the two products won't split and turn into Eggnog or some massive chemical failure. The terms of what define "compatible" are as per the API verbiage and are pretty loose.

Some manufacturers do make remarks about "optimal performance" being compromised and the like but not all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back