Cheap synthetic vs expensive semi-synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a 1997 Honda CB500 twin. Honda specify 10W30 SE, SF or SG oil. It's not a highly stressed engine but it likes to rev (peak torque is at 8k, peak power at 9.5k) and I like to make the most of this.

I usually use Castrol Power 1 GPS 10W30 part synthetic ( info here ) which costs me £40 for 4L. I've realised I can get Comma 'Two Wheel Four Stroke' fully synthetic 5W40 for £30 for 5L (see here ).

Any ideas which would be the better choice for this engine?

Hi mate

Im not a biker so can't comment on what would be best in your CB, but you can get much cheaper stuff that meets the same specs from eurocarparts or carparts4less, and you can get fancy high-spec race fluids from opieoils

Jus' sayin
smile.gif

Last edited:
Being labeled full synthetic doesn't make it any better than labeled part synthetic.

I would stick to the known good brand names.

If you want to save a little money, try a name brand diesel oil or a name brand A3/B4 rated oil in your CB500. I've used both in my Honda motorcycles successfully. A good starting place would be Shell Rimula 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Stay with the Castrol, the 10w40 is like the old RS red formula. It kept my CBR 1000 running for over 12 years and 240K Km. Its still running with it today with the new owner with over 300K on the clock. Never a lube failure, its 22 years old now.

Hows this?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/4-stroke-oils/castrol-power-1-4t-10w-40-4ltr-offer

Amazon.UK has it also for a little more but with free shipping.

240k Km in 12 years is about 20k Km a year, a lot of distance on a bike.

Thanks for the replies. Think I'll stay with the Castrol which I suspected might be the consensus. I'll look around for the cheapest deal on it. Demon Tweeks is actually a fifteen minute ride from my house!

On my previous CB500 (now retired with 150,000 miles on it which I covered in six years) I initially used Castrol Power 1 GPS, changing every 4,000 miles. Then halfway through the bike's life I got tight and changed to Comma semi-synth. By 120,000 it was consuming around a litre every 4,000 miles, with a puff of smoke above 8k rpm. Still ran as good as ever though. I can't help wondering if I'd stuck with the Castrol it might not have started using oil so much.

With this bike I'll stick with the Castrol, I think. It certainly seems to run better on that than on any other oil. It just feels perkier and gear changes are better. I'm also being brave and trying Honda's specified 8,000-mile OCIs...[ducks for cover]

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Trav
Stay with the Castrol, the 10w40 is like the old RS red formula. It kept my CBR 1000 running for over 12 years and 240K Km. Its still running with it today with the new owner with over 300K on the clock. Never a lube failure, its 22 years old now.

Hows this?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/4-stroke-oils/castrol-power-1-4t-10w-40-4ltr-offer

Amazon.UK has it also for a little more but with free shipping.

240k Km in 12 years is about 20k Km a year, a lot of distance on a bike.

Most of them were put on early in its life, i put so many Km on it i bought another one after 6 years and kept the 1000 because it had no real value anymore. LOL

I got the name of the oil wrong actually - it used to be called GPS, now it's just Castrol Power 1 4T. There's also a 'Racing' one which is the fully synth.

I wonder what Castrol Trizone Technology™ is...lol.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Being labeled full synthetic doesn't make it any better than labeled part synthetic.

I would stick to the known good brand names.

If you want to save a little money, try a name brand diesel oil or a name brand A3/B4 rated oil in your CB500. I've used both in my Honda motorcycles successfully. A good starting place would be Shell Rimula 10w-30.

What he said above.
With regular oil changes, name brand oils, Syn or semi or conventional will not matter. Another good choice if available over there is Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: JChesshyre
I got the name of the oil wrong actually - it used to be called GPS, now it's just Castrol Power 1 4T. There's also a 'Racing' one which is the fully synth.

I wonder what Castrol Trizone Technology™ is...lol.

It too confusing or me. The one i buy in Germany is 4T racing and it has red color like the old RS. They change formulas with the same name faster than a fiddlers elbow

generally most "synthetics" are group III dino oil, cleaner + better by extensive processing. semi-synthetics generally-no laws that i have seen- are 30% or less "synthetic" group III oil + the rest lesser quality. additives which are important usually are better with better oil. i seen where Germany + Japan did not recognise group III as synthetic, if so the full synthetic prolly PAO is surely superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back