Why so many replaced/bad 2.2 Ecotechs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Do you know how many millions of these engines GM made? For the last decade and a half they have gone into almost everything GM has produced. The failure rate is probably less that .0001%

did you mean "into almost every small car GM has produced"? that would suddenly change your "many millions" figure and the % figure you pulled from your own a**. FYI, .0001% of a million cars is exactly one car, and you should know that if you paid any attention in any math classes in your elementary education.

LOL When I read Dishdude's post last night, my first thought was, how long until someone posts figures to the contrary? After all, that's how this forum operates. Someone makes a point by making the broadest of generalizations, and someone else provides evidence to the contrary. Happens every time.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate!

Originally Posted By: css9450
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Do you know how many millions of these engines GM made? For the last decade and a half they have gone into almost everything GM has produced. The failure rate is probably less that .0001%

did you mean "into almost every small car GM has produced"? that would suddenly change your "many millions" figure and the % figure you pulled from your own a**. FYI, .0001% of a million cars is exactly one car, and you should know that if you paid any attention in any math classes in your elementary education.

LOL When I read Dishdude's post last night, my first thought was, how long until someone posts figures to the contrary? After all, that's how this forum operates. Someone makes a point by making the broadest of generalizations, and someone else provides evidence to the contrary. Happens every time.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate!

That would be because Dishdude's guess is so wrong it's positively laughable and can't even be considered a broad generalization. Honda has one of the lowest engine failure rates at about .29%, and Audi has one of the worst engine failure rates at 3.71%. Assuming that GM falls somewhere between them (I didn't find information regarding GM's engine failure rate), Dishdude's figure of .0001% is grossly inaccurate, and nothing more than wild speculation. That sort of speculation and level of inaccuracy should always be pointed out for what it is, lest someone actually believe it.

.0001% +/- 2%

Perfectly accurate
wink.gif

I've got a 2004 ION with the 2.2 Ecotec with 149,xxx on it, bought it new with 300 miles on it.

When I lug the engine too much I can hear what sounds like the timing chain rattling... Easy solution for me is keep the revs above 1900 or grab a lower gear if I'm over 25% throttle opening. The only engine related issue I've ever had was an extremely minor valve cover leak that was covered under warranty.

I loved the car the first year that I owned it (a HUGE step up from the 1991 [censored] I was driving) but hated it for the last 9-1/2 years for being mind-numbingly boring. I could put a copper head gasket in it with a 150-shot of nitrous, but I don't want to break the tranny or pay for an upgraded clutch. Now the car isn't worth much for trade and I'm too cheap to "waste" money on something else so I'd guess I'm stuck with this boring as can be toaster on wheels for another 100K... I'm sure the engine will still be running strong at 250K.

Originally Posted By: linksep
I've got a 2004 ION with the 2.2 Ecotec with 149,xxx on it, bought it new with 300 miles on it.

When I lug the engine too much I can hear what sounds like the timing chain rattling... Easy solution for me is keep the revs above 1900 or grab a lower gear if I'm over 25% throttle opening. The only engine related issue I've ever had was an extremely minor valve cover leak that was covered under warranty.

I loved the car the first year that I owned it (a HUGE step up from the 1991 [censored] I was driving) but hated it for the last 9-1/2 years for being mind-numbingly boring. I could put a copper head gasket in it with a 150-shot of nitrous, but I don't want to break the tranny or pay for an upgraded clutch. Now the car isn't worth much for trade and I'm too cheap to "waste" money on something else so I'd guess I'm stuck with this boring as can be toaster on wheels for another 100K... I'm sure the engine will still be running strong at 250K.

That chain rattling means it's going to skip a tooth and wreck the engine anytime soon. this is exactly what we are talking about here. see this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3706821/Re:__WARNING-------Ecotec_Timi#Post3706821

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back