Energy Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is snake oil, and telling someone else that a oil additive actually works is kind of like trying to convince them to join a cult(scientology).

List of vehicles: 09 Mazda 6 2.5 stated using at 50000 miles now has 125000, 2008 Mazda cx9 started at 120000 now at 140000. 01 Chevy 1500HD 6.0 started at 115000 now at 140000. Also use in 2 Arctic Cat snowmobiles 700 and 1000.

Most noticeable running benefit is acceleration, not much difference with MPG maybe a 1/2 to 1 point. Also my 01 chevy used to use a Qt at 5000 miles on a change or 3000 if I was towing quite a bit, that has gone to 7000 and 5000 towing. Also the oil change algorithm will not go off after I reset it with normal driving. I pulled a 5000 lbs trailer to the mountains for 2 seasons 5000 plus miles before the oil change light came on. Also coming down from the mountains my water temp gauge will drop 20 degrees while pulling.

I plan to do an oil analysis with the zx9 and 6 at the next oil change.

From an Amazon review of Energy Release:

Quote:
What "sells" products like this beyond the advertising hype is the initial perceived benefit, such as slightly increased idle speed (if you have a non-computer controlled engine). That's what is typical of chlorinated additives like what is reported to be contained in Energy Release. Chlorine is a corrosive agent that will in time cause damage to your engine. Here's my experience with Energy Release. Years ago, the guy in the marketing department was more than motivated to talk up the benefits and send me a DVD on their product. I applied it as directed and noticed a slight initial increase in idle speed (about 100 rpm). That's what chlorine initially does. After about 500 miles, I dropped the oil pan to install a high volume oil pump on my modified, high performance engine. What I found was that all the Energy Release I had added was sitting at the bottom of the oil pan with no blending with engine oil evident. Looks like it had settled out of the oil shortly after being applied. Regardless of what they say about the benefits of the product, it certainly won't do a bit of good if sitting at the bottom of the oil pan and never circulating in the engine. Probably a good thing regarding the chlorinated additives. I wrote the company multiple times over several years asking for their response to my observation and whether I not applied it correctly. They never replied. That non-reply confirmed to me their product is nothing more than "snake oil."

Originally Posted By: Lewis9
I know this is snake oil, and telling someone else that a oil additive actually works is kind of like trying to convince them to join a cult(scientology).

List of vehicles: 09 Mazda 6 2.5 stated using at 50000 miles now has 125000, 2008 Mazda cx9 started at 120000 now at 140000. 01 Chevy 1500HD 6.0 started at 115000 now at 140000. Also use in 2 Arctic Cat snowmobiles 700 and 1000.

Most noticeable running benefit is acceleration, not much difference with MPG maybe a 1/2 to 1 point. Also my 01 chevy used to use a Qt at 5000 miles on a change or 3000 if I was towing quite a bit, that has gone to 7000 and 5000 towing. Also the oil change algorithm will not go off after I reset it with normal driving. I pulled a 5000 lbs trailer to the mountains for 2 seasons 5000 plus miles before the oil change light came on. Also coming down from the mountains my water temp gauge will drop 20 degrees while pulling.

While you're at it, have them do a check for chlorine.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

While you're at it, have them do a check for chlorine.

I did hear that Chlorinated Paraffin was a component of Energy Release.
and without sufficient buffers, acid could be produced [in the engine] under certain conditions.

Any truth in this?

I thought I read CPs have their place in specific lubrication applications, just not in motor oil; A question about ER was the first question I ever posted on BITOG.

I used ER extensively in a 1984 Impala w/305 (my prebitog days) and noticed much better cold weather cranking. I still have a 3/4 gallon sitting in my chemicals closet.

In no way am I recommending its use, but the basic chemistry has been used for decades in other apps, so clearly it doesn't 'do nothing' I'm offering to be corrected if I have mispoken.

Someone pointed out a lack of patent indicates no magic is going on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
From an Amazon review of Energy Release:

Quote:
What "sells" products like this beyond the advertising hype is the initial perceived benefit, such as slightly increased idle speed (if you have a non-computer controlled engine). That's what is typical of chlorinated additives like what is reported to be contained in Energy Release. Chlorine is a corrosive agent that will in time cause damage to your engine. Here's my experience with Energy Release. Years ago, the guy in the marketing department was more than motivated to talk up the benefits and send me a DVD on their product. I applied it as directed and noticed a slight initial increase in idle speed (about 100 rpm). That's what chlorine initially does. After about 500 miles, I dropped the oil pan to install a high volume oil pump on my modified, high performance engine. What I found was that all the Energy Release I had added was sitting at the bottom of the oil pan with no blending with engine oil evident. Looks like it had settled out of the oil shortly after being applied. Regardless of what they say about the benefits of the product, it certainly won't do a bit of good if sitting at the bottom of the oil pan and never circulating in the engine. Probably a good thing regarding the chlorinated additives. I wrote the company multiple times over several years asking for their response to my observation and whether I not applied it correctly. They never replied. That non-reply confirmed to me their product is nothing more than "snake oil."

If this was the case in my use I would have a burned up mazda 6, I have ran 1/2 oz per qt for at least 6 oil changes if all it does is sit at the bottom of the oil pan then eventually it would prevent oil pump from working , I have since stopped using it for the last 3 oil changes and engine seems to run the same. I also mixed the ER in a 2stoke oil reservoir on a snowmobile, if the er would go to the bottom of the reservoir I would have 2 burn up 2,2-stoke engines as they sit for 8 months out of the year.

ER tells you to add to every oil change, my findings are that it is a lasting condition on the eternals of the engine that do not wear off.

Once again, how can you attribute this to the Energy Release additive?

The answer is that you can't, no matter how much you believe it.

If this was the case in my use I would have a burned up mazda 6, I have ran 1/2 oz per qt for at least 6 oil changes if all it does is sit at the bottom of the oil pan then eventually it would prevent oil pump from working , I have since stopped using it for the last 3 oil changes and engine seems to run the same. I also mixed the ER in a 2stoke oil reservoir on a snowmobile, if the er would go to the bottom of the reservoir I would have 2 burn up 2,2-stoke engines as they sit for 8 months out of the year.

ER tells you to add to every oil change, my findings are that it is a lasting condition on the eternals of the engine that do not wear off.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Once again, how can you attribute this to the Energy Release additive?

The answer is that you can't, no matter how much you believe it.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I thought I read CPs have their place in specific lubrication applications, just not in motor oil; A question about ER was the first question I ever posted on BITOG...

Chlorinated paraffins can be used in certain metal cutting applications with the proper buffering compounds and health mitigation (protective shields, anti-misting, etc) procedures.

It was taken out of gear lubes back in 2004.

Last edited:
If this was the case in my use I would have a burned up mazda 6, I have ran 1/2 oz per qt for at least 6 oil changes if all it does is sit at the bottom of the oil pan then eventually it would prevent oil pump from working .

If it sits in the bottom of the pan, it would be with the engine off and after settling. But you would not have that much in there as each oil change would drain out the old Energy Release, so it would not build up over multiple oil changes unless you had a low spot in the pan that does not drain.

I know this is snake oil,

Then why bother with it?

Clearly ER does have an effect on the internals of a engine. Primarily reduced oil temp. I have used ER in 3 different automobile engines as well as 3 2-stoke snowmobile engines. No ill effects from any of the 6 engines. The oil analysis did not point to any issues concerning ER being used in either engine. I am not affiliated with ER in any way I just want to document my experience with using the product. You do not have to use ER.

is there an msds for this or these products? i am not finding one on a quick search and my time is limited today, but i'll check back.

i like to look at the msds's even though they may give the "proprietary" thingy!

thanks

People saying it reduces oil temperatures, or increases acceleration are smoking some interesting Pineapple Express type stuff. The ONLY way to know would be with independent engine tests done, and notice we never see that. Wonder why?

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
People saying it reduces oil temperatures, or increases acceleration are smoking some interesting Pineapple Express type stuff. The ONLY way to know would be with independent engine tests done, and notice we never see that. Wonder why?

What are the inputs in GM algorithm to determine when the oil is needing an oil change? Engine RPM and oil temp. So my driving habits are the same as well as the oil I have been using. The light comes on at double the miles it normally comes on (5000 to 7000 is normal)so why did that happen? Why does my water temp gauge drop coming down the mountain pulling a snowmobile trailer(not a diesel)? I guess they are using the word of mouth marketing instead of late night TV infomercial.

less friction, when you are coming down the mountain in winter with temp in single digits and the motor is running a high rpm to slow the truck my temp gauge will drop. No load and less friction from the spinning engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back