QS Green bottle 5W20 5,129 miles in 2011 Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil was in service from october 8, 2014 to april 1, 2015. I was very happy with this oil as the engine was still fairly quiet at 5k miles. Not like when the oil was fresh of course, but the quiet/smoothness lasted far longer than QSUD or Synpower. Considering the winter we had, I didn't expect the TBN to be so strong at drain time. The filter was a motorcraft FL500s and I used this same QS/MC oil and filter again and glad I did. This is a 3.5 NA V6 with 44,593 miles. No oil added and it stayed on the full mark throughout the oci.

Element.............UOA........universal averages (5,800 last I knew)

Aluminum.............4.............4
Chromium.............0.............0
Iron....................8.............11
Copper...............23............25
lead.....................0............2
Tin.......................0............1
moly......................111...........63
Nickel...................1............0
Manganese..............4............5
Silver...................0...........0
Titanium...............0............5
Potassium..............4............2
Boron....................120.........57
Silicon..................14...........15
Sodium....................69..........61...(my sodium is leftover from synpower)
Calcium...................2327...........2125
Magnesium................10.............176
Phosphorous............810..............679
Zinc.......................920............780
Barium.................0................1

SUS vis @ 210F........51.8
cSt vis @ 100C........7.82
Flash point in F......395
Fuel................. Antifreeze.............0%
Water...................0%
Insolubles..............0.2%
TBN......................3.3
TAN......................4.9

Comments: dusty, wear metals look great once again. The viscosity is in the 5W20 range and theres no excess fuel or coolant contamination to worry about. The oil filter struggled to keep up last time, but no such issues here. Insolubles are a low 0.2%. The air filter kept silicon under control as well. The TBN is 3.3 showing active additive left and TAN is 4.9 having a bit more acidity than last time. A longer run should be no problem. If you're interested try 8,000 miles next time.

I have some QSGB in my stash and I like how it keeps my engines quiet
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Though I use QSGB 5W30, here is a PQIA(VOA) of the QSGB 5W20(staying within the subject of this thread) for those who may be interested.
smile.gif

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Nov2013/QuakerState.htm

And I must say, that the numbers between the UOA & VOA are surprisingly close! Another
smile.gif

Thanks for the link Char Baby...it looks like the bottle I had got a little extra calcium, phos and zinc mixed in, or maybe they bumped it up altogether since that PQIA test.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Am I the only one finding too much Copper in this UOA?

That copper is just a signature of the ford 3.5 and in many cases the GM 5.3L engines. Maybe it'll drop with higher miles but as you can see in the universal averages it's just the norm.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: Lex94
Decent shear stability. Looks like they removed half the Boron since 2013. Try PYB 5w20 with more than twice the Moly.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html

Unlike moly, measurable boron depletes during an OCI. With that much boron left at those miles it was likely well over 200 ppm to start with just as the VOAs indicate.

Thank you KCJeep! You beat me to it.

Nice report, everything below UA. Good ending TBN, viscosity and insols. But it's dino!! Impossible
grin.gif

Impressive, especially for an upstate NY winter run. QSGB & PYB are now the superstars in conventional oil IMO. Good post Dusty.

Here is another QSGB 5W20 / MC FL500s report. This time 4/1/15 - 9/25/15.

Engine: 50,494 miles
Oil: 5,901 miles

Napa sample kit (ALS lab)

Iron 9
Chromium Lead Copper 31
Tin Aluminum 3
Nickel Silver Titanium Vanadium
Silicon 19
Sodium 22
Potassium
Magnesium 9
Calcium 2155
Barium Phosphorus 684
Zinc 843
Moly 110
Boron 73

Water Coolant none

Viscosity cSt @ 100C 8.6
TBN 2.4

I keep telling myself I'm going to try something else, but really happy with this oil/filter combo. I used them again.

Silicon is up. The air filter was replaced 400 miles prior to oil change/sample. Still getting sodium rinsed out from Valvoline.

Oh yeah....still 100% rural driving. Good bit of dirt roads. Mostly 6-7 miles at a time. Once per week gets out for about 45-60 miles round trip.

Last edited:
Yes, very true. I have some 5w20 SM still in "the stash" to use. QSGB is underrated in my uneducated, mechanic opinion

Originally Posted By: car51
Yes, very true. I have some 5w20 SM still in "the stash" to use. QSGB is underrated in my uneducated, mechanic opinion

Come on man! Get with it...put some QSGB in your car. Don't just leave it sitting in the stash!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back