BBC Article: A five-step guide to not being stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot of reasons to stay stupid 'though.

When you finally work out that you ARE wrong about something, the same areas of the brain light up as if you'd hit your thumb with a hammer...it hurts to find out that particularly a long standing belief is wrong.

So people avoid it, and avoid ever admitting that they were wrong...and often look like gooses parroting a mantra that has long gone.

Good point Shannow. I was only wong once ...that was when I actually "thought" I was wrong.

Good article that again highlights the fact that IMHO most people really don't aspire to think logically.

I found that the most important thing I took away from engineering school was the art of learning to think logically. I am not saying that engineering school is necessary for that talent. Its just that it worked for me.

Its obvious that Politicians thrive on the inability of most people to connect the dots.

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

These pop into my head when I witness arguments, and everyone involved flubbing them up.

Directly asking someone to elaborate on their position is sometimes akin to having a liar expand on their untruth. From the mouthal area, the excrement flows...

The BBC article touches on "dumb people not knowing they're dumb", something I run into more and more, and I'm sure not getting smarter.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Al

Its obvious that Politicians thrive on the inability of most people to connect the dots.

Yet in a somewhat ironic fashion a degree in Political Science strives to teach an individual to think analytically and with limited bias.

Loved the article!

Originally Posted By: RamFan

Yet in a somewhat ironic fashion a degree in Political Science strives to teach an individual to think analytically and with limited bias.

Loved the article!

Except we don't elect political scientists, we elect politicians.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: RamFan

Loved the article!

Except we don't elect political scientists, we elect politicians.

You are correct. Which is why I said "somewhat ironic". The public and Politicians alike typically aren't fond of Political Scientists.

I'm somewhat astonished at the response I get when people learn I have a BA in Poli Sci and don't plan on starting my own campaign. Then again I often say that our Major is poorly titled, Government Studies would be a more appropriate title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back