Scag won't run

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend has a 52" Scag with a 23 HP Kohler Command engine that shut off during mowing and now won't run. The engine will start fine but then dies after about two seconds of running.

I disconnected the fuel line at the carburetor and cranked the engine, and fuel spurts out fine. The spark plugs look okay, and the throttle & choke plates operate. I suspect a clog in the carburetor, but don't know if there might be some electrical issue such as a faulty solenoid. Any ideas as to what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Tom NJ

Try feeding some gas into the carb to try to keep it running.
If you can, it is not an electrical problem.

Ah...Do you mean the Fuel solenoid on the base of the Carburetor?

Last edited:
Wow - fast responses...Thanks!

The oil level is good, and I tried running it at various choke and throttle combinations with no change - runs for two seconds and stops. I did not examine the spark plugs but an experienced friend looked at them and said they were dry. It is the first use after winter but it ran fine for about an hour before stopping.

I found a description of the identical problem online here:

justanswer.com

In this case it was the Fuel Shutdown Solenoid not getting a constant 12 vdc. Any ideas how to fix this?

Tom

Sounds like something is intentionally shutting it down... as in a safety switch is open somewhere.

Could be on the clutch, the brake, the base of the operator's seat, low oil...

Start "jumping" them one by one by using a small piece of romex wire bent into a "U" shape. When it keeps running and doesn't die, you've found it.

Starting fluid will not sustain the engine, so it looks like it is electrical. I believe an open safety switch will not allow the engine to crank, at least that is the case for the seat switch. She cranks and starts fine, but then cuts off. The oil level is full, but the low oil sensor could be bad. If so, will the engine crank? Where can I find the low oil sensor?

Thanks!

Tom

I say the selonoid at base if the carb is dirty/stuck....remove it and clean/unstick it see if it runs...if it cant be unstuck manually cut the rod off with some wire cutters and reinstall...will get it running till u get a new one....it may pop or backfire when u shut engine off but it will run fine...we have bunch of 20-25 horizontal commands that have that same issue if they havent been run in awhile...the [censored] gas is the culprit...

Well after days of tinkering, reading the manual, and searching online I was about to call a repair service when I noticed two fuses on the side of the control panel. Sure enough, one was blown. Problem solved for 69 cents.

Note to self, always check fuses first!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back