02 Audi s4 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted here before and didn't really get a definitive answer. I was in a time crunch before and just picked something quick. So now that I have more time before I decide I would like to post this again. I am wondering what would be good oil to run in my 2.7 twin turbo Audi. It requires anything from 0w-30 to 5w-40. I was considering rotella t6, Mobil 1 0w-40 euro, and German castrol 0w-40. I want something I can get locally and easily and these 3 fit the bill from what I see on the shelves at Walmart and auto parts stores. Any info would be great! As well as opinions! Thanks everyone!

I chose Mobil 0w-40 for this previous oil change and so far I have used about 1/2 a quart and it's been about 750 miles. I currently have 63k on my car.

Kendall GT1 Full Synthetic 5W40 Eurospec. I've used it for 11 years in my Passat with the 1.8T that has been APR chipped for the last 6 years. No issues and meets all VW/Audi specs.

Okay, you won't find it at every corner parts store :eek:(

M-1 0w40.....considered by many here to be a superior oil. IMO, you can't go wrong with M-1.

Its easy to find (sold at must WalMarts at a reasonable price).

If this is the first run of M1, some oil use is not unusual. It should slow down as miles add up. My Mazda used a fair amount on my first change to M1, now engine uses almost no oil.

You did not mention how often you plan to change the oil.

If you have consumption issues, look for an oil with low Noack, such as M1 ESP 5w-30. Just don't run extended OCI with it.

PPE 5w-40 could be another choice.

I wish M1 made a 0w-30 Euro formulation..
27.gif

The car in question is the girlfriends sludgy Volvo. Since its turbo'd, I prefer synthetic. I've read here to use an A3/B3 oil which I have no issues with, but since the car is excessively short tripped, I dont think going up to a 40 weight is the right answer. The OM says the car prefers a 5w30, but a 10w30 should be used when the temps are near 90*F (its sooo specific). M1 10w30 HM would work... but once again, her driving is so short, I prefer a 0w or 5w..

Intervals would be no longer than 3k.

And Castrol 0w30 at a reasonable price is nowhere near me. Cant even find it on WM's site.

And since the intervals are so short, I am wanting to just use some QSUD and be done with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
And Castrol 0w30 at a reasonable price is nowhere near me. Cant even find it on WM's site.

FYI, Walmart in the US does not carry Castrol 0w-30.

I plan to change the oil every 5k miles. Honestly I don't feel confortable going to far over that anyway so it will probably never go anymore than a couple hundred miles over that at most. I just want something I can trust, and something hat is good.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I just want something I can trust, and something hat is good.

Well, the oil you are currently using is already one of the best. But if you're having consumption issues, you can try something else (like Castrol 0w-40 for example). Not guaranteed that it'll make the consumption go away but worth a try, I suppose.

Honestly, I'd just go with M1 or Castrol Edge in 0w40. They're both reasonably priced and easy to get. Like you said, keep to 5k mile OCIs and you'll be served well.

Your car is an oil burner and you're worried about going over 5k?

I'd run Castrol 0W40 or 5W40 because it's the cheapest, your car is burning oil, and you're doing short OCIs. There is no point of using expensive oils. M1 0W40 is similar price as well.

GC 0W30 is not worth the price premium over M1 0W40 IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back