Burning some 2 stroke mix in a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mixed a couple gallons of 50:1 gas last fall for my little outboard.

It didn't get used and I want to start the season fresh.

Any issue dumping it in the tank of my CR-V and topping off with regular unleaded?

The mixture would end up about 225:1

I do it all the time at the end of the season. No problems if anything the mix will give the top end some lubrication.

In theory, it would probably be better to use the old mix to top up the CRV tank at home after running it down to 3/4. Or atleast don't add the old mix with the CRV near empty and then go fill it up.
It probably doesn't matter though.

http://download.ms-motor-service.com/ximages/ks_50003958-02_web.pdf

There's already an oil film established on the cylinder wall for piston rings to "glide" on (lubricates the rings), and piston type 4-cyl reciprocating engines have been running like that for many, many decades, esp. modern engines where such conditions can sustain the engine operational service life for many hundreds of thousands of miles by simply using clean, engine manufacturer specified motor oil + regular, undoped pump gasoline.

So, why on earth would someone still insist in adding the so-called "extra added lubricity" to the so-called "top end lubrication"? Why?

2T engine operational characteristics not applicable here.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
I mixed a couple gallons of 50:1 gas last fall for my little outboard.

It didn't get used and I want to start the season fresh.

Any issue dumping it in the tank of my CR-V and topping off with regular unleaded?

The mixture would end up about 225:1

Why not add a gallon per fillup to make it even a higher percentage.

As long as its your CR-V, no problem.

Why don't you tell Honda so they can void your emissions warranty ahead of time. Why not mix your new outboard gas with the old and the little outboard will take care of it.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Why don't you tell Honda so they can void your emissions warranty ahead of time. Why not mix your new outboard gas with the old and the little outboard will take care of it.

So you think this is much worse than burning 1 quart of engine oil per 1000 miles?
All major Auto Man say its normal, so how can they kick ur butt for a little lube in the gas?

Add the old 2-cycle mix to a full tank of gas after filling up and driving a couple of miles to get home. 2-cycle oil is heavier than gas and will slowly sink to the bottom of the fuel tank - mixing in with the fresh fuel as you drive.

SO we've got people OCD over "clean engines" flushing day and night and others using their engines as trash cans. GO figure.

I'd probably just go ahead and use it in the outboard.
It would be fine.
It shouldn't hurt the Honda a bit either.
If you don't want to use it in the outboard or the Honda, there's always the lawnmower.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

So you think this is much worse than burning 1 quart of engine oil per 1000 miles?
All major Auto Man say its normal, so how can they kick ur butt for a little lube in the gas?

Excellent point. It wont hurt a thing.

So people are telling you it's bad to use an gas/oil mixture in your vehicle? Heck sounds like what happens to my gasoline every time I add MMO at the pump!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back