Hydraulic fluid for old bucket truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have an old (1989) Altec AT200 bucket. This is a non-insulated telescoping type and its only used around my property a couple times a year. I try to maintain my equipment with the best parts and fluids, but lets be realistic... cost is significant factor on this one.

Altec replied to my inquiry saying that its either a gear or vane type pump and they recommended Conoco Super MV22 or equivalent. They mentioned that while I don't need dielectric oil, "most oils in this range are dielectric anyway".

I could be wrong...but I suspect that a dielectric oil is going to go through additional testing and certification which means $$.

For those not completely familiar with bucket trucks (or at least my bucket truck), its an open center system which consists of a pump, two hydraulic motors for rotation and extension, and two hydraulic cylinders for lift and bucket tilt, plus a bunch of electric valves and an 8 gal reservoir. That's it... no bearings, no transmission gears, no clutches.

Looking for your "much wiser than myself" recommendations before I run out and buy some TSC [censored] and call it a day.

Thank you
clint

NAPA and TSC both carry "tractor & hydraulic" fluid. I use it in my Bobcat. They have regular and premium. I have seen 5 gallon pails of Rotella "tractor and hydraulic" fluid at Walmart.

Interesting selection from Taildragger & Donald -- both are recommending UTF. Here's Traveller from TSC:

cSt @ 40ºC - 57.05
cSt @ 100ºC - 9.32

OEM recommends MV22:

cSt @ 40ºC - 20.8
cSt @ 100ºC - 5.1

I have also seen mention of Mobil 220 for boom trucks, whic has a viscosity closer to the MV22. But that does not appear to be readily available.

Keep the suggestions coming....

Originally Posted By: Fortecarbon
Keep the suggestions coming....

Look at the viscosity numbers posted above for the recommended product.
Got it? Good.
Pick a local auto parts store. I'll wait.
Ok, now look at the viscosity specs for their AW 32 hydraulic oil.
See how close they are? Yep, I do to.
Buy the AW 32. Change fluids. Enjoy life.

John Deere HyGard low-vis

viscosity @ 40c.....33
viscosity @ 100c....7.2

I use this fluid in several different hydraulic applications, its readily available and is close enough to your manufacturers spec that you will never be able to tell the difference in operation.
Its also a very good hydraulic fluid thats competitively priced.

I did learn that the pump is a Vickers (Eaton) V10 vane pump.

So if I understand correctly.... AW32 is a basic anti wear hydraulic oil with viscosity rating of 32 (or the 32 somehow relates to the vis. ) and does not include additives for tractors.

There is a lot of information on the John Deere Hy-Gard and it seems to be a very good choice for tractors. But probably includes more "tractor" additives that I require. Of course I have not priced either....

Thanks for the great info
Cheers,
clint

AW32.
Tractor fluids have additives for wet clutches that are not needed, and do not improve the performance of the fluid in a hydraulic only application. Use hydraulic fluid...not tractor fluid.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
AW32.
Tractor fluids have additives for wet clutches that are not needed, and do not improve the performance of the fluid in a hydraulic only application. Use hydraulic fluid...not tractor fluid.

Well stated!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back