Mobil 1 0W-20 Extended Performance VOA with TBN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PJboy
Looks like a quality product from XOM, even with a low amount of moly.

It's their tri-nuclear type which only needs half as much to do what they are after,so actual moly level doesn't mean much when you consider it's the new and improved stuff.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

WHY, exactly, it is "the best"??
21.gif

Search up the UOAs from it, there are several. Then find me a 0W20 that is even in the ballpark. Engine wear, TBN retention, etc. are all phenomenal with that oil.

Engine wear?

So which of these engines were torn down and wear on parts was measured,because the experts on this board have said without a shadow of a doubt that engine wear CANNOT be determined by a used oil analysis.

So again which engines were torn down?

And is the moly used in that oil the infineum tri-nuclear type.
Because if it is you only need half as much to work.

Put the M1EP 0w20 in the wifey's Rav4 as they were out of 0w20 AFE at Walmart, which is what I'd been using recently. Plan to go 10K with a mid-run sampling. The 2010 Rav4 is technically limited to 5K OCI, but the later models with the same engine spec'd for 0w20 only, allowed 10K. So we're going to try it.

As for why I switched from 5w20 to 0w20, well, there seems to be less engine noise when cold during the wintertime on 0w20 and the car just seems to run smoother with it in general, from a pure seat-of-the-pants impression.

Last edited:
I have almost 8,000 miles on this oil in the Mazda 2.0. I've been running almost all premium gas during this OCI other than maybe 2x i used regular. Sampling soon.

This type of lab report is almost useless with today's modern oils. Many will look 'weak' on paper compared to older oils.

Don't think Proof of Performance testing will be going away - both fleet use R&D - and high mileage folks on this site.
The aluminum stuff in blocks - has (hard) exotic coating or a cast iron liner BTW ...

Mineral oils like group II, are more oxidation prone, compared to synthetic oils and that make the problem worse. In case of syn base, the TBN can go lower without causing deposits and corrosion. TBN below TAN just implies that the TBN will decrease much quicker.

Last edited:
If TBN was my prime driver I'd be running Mobilgard M30. Would take a while to use up a drum ? ⛴⛴⛴⛴

Originally Posted by PimTac
That analysis is outdated. It's from five years ago.

Yea, but that add-pack UOA from five years ago proves XOM was correct stating their oil was SN Plus certified five years ago.

An industry leader for sure. Now if they can only quiet all the loud engine complaints.....lol

Originally Posted by dailydriver
^^^Yes, isn't XOM now claiming a 12 TBN on this oil (which is currently in my EcoBoost's sump)?
21.gif

Please change your signature to reflect this, Sir.
We need accuracy in reporting.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back