'08 Rav 4 AWD - "Clink" sound from stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd appreciate a little help in trying to ID a noise coming from my wife's Rav4.

Earlier this year, I started noticing that when she backed out of the garage her Rav4 was "clinking" when it started moving. Just once, and it sounds just like you hit two metal rods against each other. She'll start the car, put her foot on the brake and shift into reverse. Nothing. But as soon as she releases the brake, the clink happens. She told me the other day that she's been hearing this at stop signs now too.

My first instinct is that there might be something going on with the brake pads, but then I start thinking of all the drive train components up front and don't know. And I'll be the first guy to admit that I'm more of a certified "parts changer" than an actual diagnostic mechanic. So, I'd appreciate any thoughts on what it might be.

The last time the brakes were touched was about 40K ago, when I replaced the front pads. I think the vehicle is around 120,000 miles right now.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I would check brake pad thickness.
Sounds to me like the brake pad wear indicators are making the noise...telling it's time for brake job.

It could very well not be pads but I would start there.

Interesting. I guess I'd always assumed the indicators were more of a screeching noise when you applied the brakes. Learn something every day. It's certainly worth a shot - it is easy enough to check.

It could be anything from motor mounts, control arm, sway bar, driveshaft slack, brake caliper, pads,

Sometimes there is movement of the pad up and down in the caliper when going from forward to reverse. Drive it yourself and see if there is another clink on the first application of the brakes going forward.

My honda does this sometimes.

They technically shouldn't do this but it's probably not that big of a deal. Pull the caliper and check the pads and hardware if you're concerned.

Plus if she is mentioning it it probably means that it's getting worse.

If you have chassis ears, you can place on near the calipers.

Try having someone step on the brakes while you listen from the outside.

It is most likely an issue that is related to the Driveshafts. Some people call it axle click.

Last edited:
In salt country those wear indicators have been known to rust off before the pads get down to the backing plate. Not a good thing.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
It could be anything from motor mounts, control arm, sway bar, driveshaft slack, brake caliper, pads,

You need to check all of the suspension components. Something is probably worn out. I have a 98 Sienna and I was getting various noises. Ended up having to change stabilizer bar links, lower control arm bushings, front struts and even strut mounts to eliminate all the noises.

Get ready to start spending money on suspension repairs.

Is the vehicle AWD? My Dad's Tacoma had similar symptoms, and it turned out to be an issue with the drive shaft. I don't recall the exact failure, but there was play in it that caused it to "clink" when coming to or taking off from a stop.

Edit: I see now in the subject that it is in fact AWD.

Last edited:
My father in law has a 08 4x4 Rav4.

It was doing the same thing.

Turned out to be something to do a part that couples to the driveshaft.

It was around $700 put he had a Toyota extended warranty so he just made a deductible payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back