Oil choice help 5.3 GMC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 GMC 1500 with 5.3 aluminum block motor with 200k miles. Motor is starting to use about a half a quart between changes. I've always used 5W30 per manufacture, adding 10W40 to top off in between changing. Is their a better grade I can use? I'm leaning towards running thicker this summer but, after reading some articles on this site. Then tossing out everything I thought I knew about lubrication, other than change often. I'm in the dazed and confused mode at this moment! Summer here, we see 100 degrees with 100% humidity on a handful of days. What grade would you run? Thoughts and information would be greatly appreciated!!!

If you plan to keep this truck a lot longer which it is more than capable of going twice the mileage then I would do the valve cover update on your truck if it was never done, possibly add a 'catchcan' and then use Mobil1 5w30 High Mileage.

At work we have a 05 Yukon XL with the 5.3 as well. It burns like 2 quarts of oil per 5k miles. We use it to tow an 18' trailer. Upon acceleration, you can see a blue puff of smoke. Boss told me to change it and put in anything I want. I picked up some Havoline HM 5w30 for it, and it has considerably cut down on consumption and the smoke out the tailpipe. I'd say try a high mileage if you want and see if that helps with consumption, although half a quart per oci is not bad at all.

Last edited:
HM oil is the ticket. We run a fleet of 5.3's and 6.0's and when they get big mileage we simply switch to Maxlife. Quiet and smooth...

I had a 6.0 in a truck that used about 2qts between changes on a 5000mi OCI. I found that running conventional oil cut the usage in half. Of course mine was a 2000 model with the rattly pistons and iron heads.

If it's not leaking from anywhere then the oil is going past the rings and valves, or through the PCV system. You can put a catch can on it and see how much your losing through the PCV which you really can't do anything about without tearing into it.

I've got 2 99s with a 5.3 and an 01 with a 6.0.

How is the vehicle driven. If could be the rings are coked up if it's rarely exercised with some high rpm. If coked rings can be excluded I suggest adding a can of liqui-moly motor oil saver.
It conditions seals better than any high mileage oil and is well known for stopping leaks and its adds TBN to the oil.
Or try a European 0w-40. Great stuff. Easy 10000 mile intervals.

Originally Posted By: Bushshaker
I have a 2004 GMC 1500 with 5.3 aluminum block motor with 200k miles. Motor is starting to use about a half a quart between changes. I've always used 5W30 per manufacture, adding 10W40 to top off in between changing. Is their a better grade I can use? I'm leaning towards running thicker this summer but, after reading some articles on this site. Then tossing out everything I thought I knew about lubrication, other than change often. I'm in the dazed and confused mode at this moment! Summer here, we see 100 degrees with 100% humidity on a handful of days. What grade would you run? Thoughts and information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Using a half-quart between changes sounds pretty good, even if you're doing 3k mile changes. What are your oil change intervals?

At 200k miles, you should go to a high-mileage oil such as M1 HM or Valvoline MaxLife. Stay with 5w30.

You're only adding half a quart during an OCI? You don't say what mileage you're using, but half a quart isn't bad at all for 200k. Count your blessings.
My 2003 5.3 was using that at 100k and it was considered low oil use.
I use Penn Ultra 5w-30. Very quiet, oil pressure doesn't drop off at idle, keeps the piston knock when cold to a minimum.

Last edited:
My 100k 5.3 that I owned used about 1/2 quart between oil changes (usually 7k-8k as per the OLM) so you're doing good. I used many different oils (all group III synthetics) and found it used more and was noisiest on Mobil Super Synthetic (though not terrible, did use a full quart) and used the least and was quietest on PP.

You didn't mention what you are currently using (conventional or synthetic) but I'd stick with 5w-30 and maybe consider a switch to high mileage oil.

Last edited:
I would recommend also recommend to stay in grade but move to a high mileage 5w30, take your pick of your favorite brand. I like Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 if you want a synthetic, there's also new Pennzoil Platinum high mileage.

If you don't want a synthetic you can try Maxlife or Pennzoil high mileage.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

How is the vehicle driven. If could be the rings are coked up if it's rarely exercised with some high rpm. If coked rings can be excluded I suggest adding a can of liqui-moly motor oil saver.
It conditions seals better than any high mileage oil and is well known for stopping leaks and its adds TBN to the oil.

Work truck driven 14 miles round trip but, most off days it sees I-95 running 90mph. I usually use Valvoline or Havoline mostly high mileage oil. Will use any well known oil if on sale. I usually change at 3k but, will stretch it out. No more than 5k. It's a keeper, my set up a catch pan to see what's going on with the pcv.

What grade would you run?

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40. Available on the shelf in gallons at the local Walmart. You're welcome.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Work truck driven 14 miles round trip but, most off days it sees I-95 running 90mph. I usually use Valvoline or Havoline mostly high mileage oil. Will use any well known oil if on sale. I usually change at 3k but, will stretch it out. No more than 5k. It's a keeper, my set up a catch pan to see what's going on with the pcv.

Well if you just follow the oil life monitor any conventional will do. I'd start with an hdeo 10w-30 and monitor consumption. If consumption persist try a 15w-40.
Since your already using a high mileage oil try motor oil saver made by liqui-moly available at Napa.
My Chevys are all high mile. None consume oil in any measurable amount however I've used motor oil saver in all of them.
Currently I've got PYB in the 99s and Amsoil in the 01. 5w-30.
If you aren't going to extend the interval there really isn't anything to gain using a synthetic. They last longer in service and pump more easily in extreme cold.
Considering you live in Georgia the cold isn't an issue.
Conventionals tend to have less tendency to being consumed

Is the flashpoint on this really that low? PDS lists 215*C. The Delvac ESP 5W40 lists 249*C.

I would also try Rotella T6 or Delo LE 400 5W40

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
What grade would you run?

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40. Available on the shelf in gallons at the local Walmart. You're welcome.

Last edited:

Hi Bushshaker, we would recommend that you stay with your original OEM viscosity recommendation of 5W-30, but maybe bump over to a high mileage product (given your 200k miles), such as Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage with PurePlus Technology.

Being a high mileage oil, it is formulated with an increased amount of seal conditioner, so it that it can help reduce leaks and oil consumption (as well as
helping to keep your pistons up to 40% cleaner than the toughest industry standards). Since it's a full synthetic motor oil, it can “stand the heat” of your Georgia summers much better than a conventional motor oil, resisting viscosity loss with the higher temperatures, etc. This full synthetic high mileage oil can also help cleanup older engines by gently lifting sludge deposits off of engine surfaces (and dissolving them safely into the oil, so that these deposits can be taken out of the engine at your next oil change). - The Pennzoil Team

I'd opt for a conventional HM 5/30, and track what you see over at least 2 consecutive oil changes. As to brand, every engine and leak seems to behave differently. Start with Mobil S5k HM, as that is typically a few dollars less than VML or PHM.

In my 04 in my sig, I am currently on Penz ultra 5w30 from my stash. I don't notice any loss of oil during oci. If I were u, I would try rotella T5 10w30 syn blend. Good luck

Note that OP needs to determine if his engine has the fixed orifice or regular PCV setup. Fixed orifice systems get plugged up at high miles and can cause oil loss and other symptoms.

At 200k miles it is time to check it out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back