New to me 4.2L F150 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a new to me 04 F150 Heritage (people on the ford forum are still debating that its an 04, but trust me, its an 04, don't ask me how, a good magician never reveals his secrets) anyway, its a 4.2L V6 with a 5 speed manual, 2wd, just the way I like it.

Anyway, I have come to you all with questions regarding what the preferred fluids are, the engine has 186k on it and runs like a top, when I got it I put Maxlife 5w20 and a FL400S on it, then promptly took it on a 1100 mile trip pulling 2 motorcycles on a small trailer, no noticeable oil loss. I'm sure most people will chime in with, if it works keep doing it, which I can certainly appreciate, but I'm also open to other suggestions.

I'd also like to know what people would recommend for a smooth shifting transmission and the rear end..

Thanks guys

in the diff id use 75w140 synpower in that beast. The tranny im not 100% sure. i think ford used ATF in those sticks. probably mercon V. someone here will likely know for sure.

Maxlife is great, and so are motorcraft filters.

Last edited:
Nice looking truck. I have Synpower 75w-140 in my 2004 F-150's rear differential and M1 ATF in the transfer case. Make sure the ATF you use in the transmission meets Mercon V, and not just Mercon - some "universal" ATFs aren't rated for Mercon V. Motorcraft ATF is a good choice, and Valvoline makes a Mercon V specific product too.

Oil: any 5w20 is good
Oil filter: motorcraft is fine
Diff: any 75w140 syn is good
Trans: any mercon v.

I wonder if valvoline syn maxlife atf would work?

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Valvoline makes a Mercon V specific product too.
Need to be careful here. Valvoline's product is called "ATF for Mercon V Applications". It seems they don't want to pay Ford for a license, so they can't legally call it "Mercon V". With licensed product from Motorcraft, Castrol, Pennzoil, SuperTech, and many others, there's no need to gamble with an unlicensed version.

I like that truck! No nonsense workhorse.

I really like your oil/filter choice but I'd probably step up to Maxlife 5w30 myself that's it.

Blue Oval Fitter on here has a lot of experience with these maybe he will chime in.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Need to be careful here. Valvoline's product is called "ATF for Mercon V Applications". It seems they don't want to pay Ford for a license, so they can't legally call it "Mercon V". With licensed product from Motorcraft, Castrol, Pennzoil, SuperTech, and many others, there's no need to gamble with an unlicensed version.

You are correct about that. FWIW, I have the unlicensed Valvoline Mercon V in my truck's transmission now and it shifts fine.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

You are correct about that. FWIW, I have the unlicensed Valvoline Mercon V in my truck's transmission now and it shifts fine.

By chance, is your F150 a 4.2? I have heard mostly good things about them, my family owns a towing company and theres at least 3 other 10th gen f150's with that engine, all have over 300k and were likely running just fine till they wound up on the wrong side of the interstate or similar.

Snowflake, it's called the Heritage because it was the last year of "that" type of body style (97-04) as the new 04-08 body style was being introduced. From the factory there was an emblem on the lower left side of the tailgate that reads F150 and the word HERITAGE right below it.
As far as the 4.2 V6, when it was first introduced in 1997 the oil spec'd for the 4.2 V6 engine was 5W30. In the year 2K Ford spec'd 5W20 for CAFE reasons and also back spec'd 5W20 for earlier 4.2 V6's as well.
I have owned (2) other 4.2 F150's and am currently on my 3rd 4.2 V6, an 07 F150 XL. I have owned it since new (6 miles) and have used both 5W20 and 5W30 oil in it. The engine clearances and tolerances have NEVER changed since the engine was produced from 1997-2008, thus, allowing to use a 5W30 oil. My friend in FL. still drives the 97 I sold him (currently 288K miles) and he uses anything from 20W50 to 5W20 oil in it.
The manual trans. requires a Mercon V type trans fluid. Being mine is an auto it also requires a Mercon V trans fluid. Wal-Mart's ST Mercon V carries the Ford approved stamping on it as does the Castrol Mercon V. Besides using Motorcraft Mercon V trans fluid, these are the ONLY other (2) brand name Mercon V fluids that I will use in mine.
The differential should have a tag affixed to one of the cover bolts that reads,"75w140 synthetic fluid only." You need to look at the decal affixed to the drivers side door pillar to decode the differential, as if it is an "open" type or a "L/S=Limited Slip." If it is a L/S you need to add 4oz. of friction modifier to the gear oil upon servicing it. I stronly advise to add the FM to it even if the gear fluid decal on the bottle you are adding states it has FM in it already!
I currently have 119K miles on my truck and STILL have the factory rear brake pads on it! I changed the front pads at 92K miles (even though I could have gone another 10K safely) with Wagner Thermo-Quiets. I am about to do the same to the rear shortly.
As far as oil filters, I only like to use the FL-400S. I have a FRAM ULTRA on it now (Thanx 2010_FX4) and have not heard ANY engine noise upon startup. I have tried several other filters, as an experiment, and upon startup my engine sounded like a woodpecker on a street light! Oh, and I only use a new filter at every oil change.
"One Filter, One OCI!"
If you want to know anything else about your truck feel free to ask me. If I can't help you then ANY other BITOG member will gladly help you out.
thumbsup2.gif

292mwrd.jpg

I am fully aware of the heritage dealio, my opening statement was a bit of [censored] as when I asked questions about the truck on a ford site all I got was "its not an 04"
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: snowflake

By chance, is your F150 a 4.2? I have heard mostly good things about them, my family owns a towing company and theres at least 3 other 10th gen f150's with that engine, all have over 300k and were likely running just fine till they wound up on the wrong side of the interstate or similar.

The F-150 in my sig line is a 4.6L V8 XLT. It's the "new" version, not a Heritage like yours. I've had very good service out of it, and I've also heard good things about the 4.2L V6 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back