Does anyone else hate leather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i'm not a fan of leather either, unfortunately 2 of my vehicles have them.

always favored cloth seats, just more comfortable in my opinion.

Hello, So far we have:
17 who DISLIKE LEATHER (incl. me)
13 who LIKE LEATHER
05 who PREFERRED A MIXTURE OF MATERIALS
02 who said SOMETHING RISQUE'
01 who MENTIONED AN ALTERNATIVE

A good BITOG mix.

Me, I prefer cloth seats-dislike leather but can live with it being I'm a used car buyer. Kira

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I think fake is sometimes better than the real thing.

I agree. I pay extra for anything-but-cloth, but I don't care if it actually came from a cow. In fact, I'd prefer it didn't...a good vinyl is easier to maintain and virtually wears forever. Unfortunately, good vinyls are hard to find, as people seem to have a problem if the seating surface for which they paid extra didn't actually come from an animal.

My order of preference: a good vinyl > real leather > cloth. I'll pay extra for either of the first two. I need a credit if I have to take cloth.
smile.gif

In order of decreasing preference:
1. Cloth
2. Leatherette
3. Leather

I dont hate it but its not something that I prefer when car shopping.

In my case, whether leather is good or bad can depend on the design of the seat. High boosters can be difficult to slide across if you have cloth. Ed

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I love it! Its easy to clean and maintain, and it gives the car a higher end look and feel. It only gets [censored] looking if you dont know how to take care of it.
It looks nice and smells nice and wears well, but unless it's perforated and heated and cooled it can be unpleasant in weather extremes. Volvo in the 70s used leather made from prehistoric reptiles
armor plate. Salesmen used to say that "old guys" opted for leather because it made entering and exiting the car easier.

Last edited:
As others mentioned, good leather is excellent. Other materials CAN be. But they can all also be awful. I will cite a few examples:

1. BMW high-end leather (like in my M5): Absolutely fantastic. Very thick material and has held up incredibly well. Also, the seats themselves are incredible which certainly adds to the experience.

2. Ford's leather "mix": What we've had in all three of our Expeditions. Seat sides are a vinyl, bolsters are leather, seating surface is perforated leather on the front seats. We've had a bolster tear (drivers seat). That's about it. So I can't rip on it too hard, considering it lasted almost 200,000 miles. The other seats are all fine.

Also, as noted by somebody else, these are very easy to clean. An important thing when you have three kids and a dog.

3. BMW's vinyl (like on our 328i): Junk. It cracked and flaked off and even the passenger seat was showing signs of going south. We were not impressed.

4. Chrysler's leather "mix": What's in the Charger. I have no idea if any of it is real. The inserts are supposed to be suede but.... With a fraction of the mileage that the Expedition has on it, and significantly less than the M5, the bolster on the drivers seat has already cracked. It would appear to be a similar material to what BMW used on the 3-series.

The seats themselves are fantastic. So it would have been nice if Chrysler had spent a few extra cents and used better material. These are the upgraded "Daytona" seats, so we were surprised at their lack of durability.

5. Subaru cloth: What was in the '05 Forester XT we had for a bit. Very comfortable, quality seemed good with good support. A good execution of a cloth seat.

6. Ford leather (80's): What was in my old Town Car (1989). Held up well for about 300,000Km and then started to tear on the passenger side (drivers side held up, go figure). This was the "couch" style interior with the massive leather seats with zero support.

7. Ford cloth (80's): What was in my Mustang GT. The bolstering tended to flatten out so the seat structure wasn't great. The material held up well enough but stained easily (IMHO).

I hate Vinyl, but I hate perforated Vinyl the most. Not only hot, but as it gets older it dries, cracks, and tears very easily.

Leather is OK and as stated, some are better than others, but I still prefer cloth.

I just had a flashback to my well-spent youth... I kind of miss real sheepskin seat covers. Hmm... still available on Amazon.

I prefer cloth because I find it to be the most comfortable in the widest range of conditions. Wet Okole's will take care of any stains or spills.

If I couldn't have cloth I would prefer vinyl. I've found vinyl to be lower maintenance and hold up better than real leather, and I'd rather not use an animal product where it's not necessary.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's great. I appreciate the quality of foam and springs as a seat wears towards 200k with 200 lbs in it.

I've had a cadillac cimmarron and volvo 940 with leather, and a Merc with MB-TEX high-quality vinyl. All also had decent foam & springs.

Yes, the MB-Tex in my '97 C-Class was great. It looked at a glance like leather, but wore like iron. A seam on the back of one of the headrests came loose, but the rest of the interior looked new.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
Not many people use them now but sheepskins are still the most comfortable. Mine have Velcro tearaways for the side airbags.

I would too, if (a) anybody in Da Swamp sold and installed them and (b) if they were a bit more reasonable in the price. The latter is what has kept me from ordering sheepskins from the good places online. I had sheepskins on the seats of my MB 420SEL, and even here in the Sweating Capital of the South, my back was no warmer than I would have been with a leather seat alone.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
+1.

Luckily I have a buttvent intalled in mine. Takes care of 30-40% of discomfort.

Like a lot of new bicycle seats:
mountain-bike-seat.jpg

Perfect for that bike ride after eating beans!

Leather is to me no more than an option that makes buyers think they're getting something high-end or luxurious.
I prefer cloth every time.
More comfortable any way you look at it.
Also, if a cloth seat cover get badly stained or worn, it's a cheap and easy replacement.
Not so with leather.

The seats in my Chevy 2500HD are Leather tops & Vinyl sides.

The vinyl on the side of the driver seat gave out last year, The leather was worn on the seat bottom next to it. Had it repaired & looks OK. For 300,000 miles I cant complain. It has heated front seats, so cold weather isn't an issue & AC works great.

My Toyota has cloth seats, They are horrid! The cloth is loose at all five seating positions at 70,000 miles, My '85 Suburban wore 10 times better.

I prefer Leather/Vinyl over cloth, If not for any other reason, The retention of dirt & easy clean up.

I use Saddle Soap on my leather seats, Cleans & protects!

I am not a leather fan. All of my vehicles came with the "upgraded" cloth seats. They last a long time and are comfortable. Not that I really hate leather but seeing the quality of leather now is sad. Most are leather faced and the back seats and all sides are some sort of mystery vinyl. Seeing a LTZ Tahoe's seats cracking in just a few years is just sad. If I want vinyl I will get a base model.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Actually I stand corrected my BMW has fake leather.

It's still perfect after 10 years.

I think fake is sometimes better than the real thing.

Yep, I love the v-tex leatherette in my gf's VW. Its only a year old but it seems to be very durable and is super easy to clean.

Add me to the list. I'm not a big fan of the way it feels and how you have to maintain it for it not to get dry and crack. It also starts to stretch out and leave a wavy appearance from where you sit from what I tend to see. The cloth seats in the Firebird still look fantastic and they've never needed to be maintained, just vacuumed from time to time.

Why don't they have mohair interiors anymore?

leather quality varies a lot. Vat dyed leather (like old Connely) is great and smells great. Dyed all the way through- it doesn't show cracks as it ages. Surface dyed leather (like on my old BMW convertible looks terrible as it ages- white cracks show where it wears. Alcantara is worse.

I'd like to have car seats made from suspended mesh, like some office chairs. That might be really comfortable.

Other than that, I prefer a durable cloth seat to anything else I've experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back