Looking to buy first atv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kawie_guy
Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
awesome AWD system(polaris hands down has the best AWD system).

Yeah, the Po system may be the best AWD system, but it's still a AWD system. Not a real locking, controllable diff lock that stays engaged like a a true 4x4 system. In other words, do you want a rock crawler-Rubicon system, or would you prefer the Subaru type system? For my money and my quad, I'll take the real 4x4 system everyday and twice on Sunday! The Po system is computer/sensor controlled and goes in and out of turning the front wheels as often as the system thinks it needs to. And the front wheels have to spin before they will engage. Then the rider never knows when it's going in or when it's coming out. And the whole thing cancels out if the throttle is applied or a certain speed is attained. Units without the ADC fix for the bad system only send engine braking to the rear wheels which is downright dangerous on loose, steep downhills. If they do have the ADC "fix", they can't go in reverse without holding in the over-ride button (pre 2011?), and you must switch in to the ADC everytime when you attempt a down hill or after it has been cancelled by the computer. The Po system also needs special oil in the hubs which requires more maintenance. If the system fails (and it does often, just ask Doug Meyer of atvtv.com), it will default to 2wd until the problem is fixed. And fixing it can be a total [censored]. Since it's all electrical, the problem will not be so obvious. Even the dealers have turned folks away when they couldn't find what was throwing the error code. Need I go on!?
Listen, there's one thing serious off-roaders learned decades ago.......a locking 4x4 system is simply the best way to go. That's why it's used in all the other atv's except Can Am, and all the serious truck-type off road vehicles, and all the custom built rock crawlers. It's simple, it tough, and it works. Most importantly, it's driver controlled. And any serious off roader will tell you he trusts his own judgement and skill over some [censored] computer!

Comparing the Polaris AWD system to a Subaru is not accurate at all. The way the Polaris AWD system works is actually very simple. The front axle contains a Hilliard Clutch. As soon as the rear wheels start to turn faster than the front wheels, this causes the Hilliard Clutch to lock up and deliver power to both front wheels. This done mechanically, not by a computer. Older models like my Scrambler have two Hilliard Clutches in the hubs, while newer models have one in the center of the axle.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Comparing the Polaris AWD system to a Subaru is not accurate at all. The way the Polaris AWD system works is actually very simple. The front axle contains a Hilliard Clutch. As soon as the rear wheels start to turn faster than the front wheels, this causes the Hilliard Clutch to lock up and deliver power to both front wheels. This done mechanically, not by a computer. Older models like my Scrambler have two Hilliard Clutches in the hubs, while newer models have one in the center of the axle.

Obviously there is a mechanical action in the clutch packs to do the work, but it is tied in with an electrical system that controls it. Otherwise there would be no switches, overrides, fuses, or computer controlled cancellations. And the ADC system that controls the power going downhill is also electronically controlled. When it fails, the clutch packs are prevented from working. The clutch packs are actually very sturdy and well built, but the electronics involved are unfortunately not as well built. I've had two friends have their systems bug out on them, one has had it happen on two different machines, very similar to what Doug @ atvtv.com experienced. Both of them worked intermittently. The second friend's just plain never turned on and the dealer never could figure it out. AFter a lengthy battle with Polaris and the dealer, he was finally "given a good deal" to buy a one year newer model. That one has been fine so far in the awd regard, but the switch that controls the upper headlight has malfunctioned already!

This is a list of some of the models that I'm considering. None of them are big bore power plants as I am just looking for a reliable atv for hunting and a little trail riding.

Kawasaki Brute Force 300
Yamaha Grizzly 350 4x4
Honda Recon
Honda Rancher
Polaris Sportsman ETX
Polaris Sportsman 570

Have friends with new 570's. They sold older Polaris quads to get power steering. Nice rigs

Originally Posted By: justinh384
This is a list of some of the models that I'm considering. None of them are big bore power plants as I am just looking for a reliable atv for hunting and a little trail riding.

Kawasaki Brute Force 300
Yamaha Grizzly 350 4x4
Honda Recon
Honda Rancher
Polaris Sportsman ETX
Polaris Sportsman 570

Let me fix your list...

Kawasaki Brute Force 300
Yamaha Grizzly 350 4x4
Honda Recon
Honda Rancher

Kawasaki Brute Force 300
Yamaha Grizzly 350 4x4
Honda Recon
Honda Rancher
Polaris Sportsman ETX
Polaris Sportsman 570

All of those should be decent machines. Go visit some dealers and take a look. Test ride them if possible. See what you like best.

As with any machine, longevity depends on how it is operated, and the maintenance it receives.

High quality machines that are abused, will return service in kind.

I know a guy with a Brute Force 300, he loves it and it is trouble free. Your list doesn't include the Suzuki Ozark. I have owned one of them since 2006, awesome little machine. I have 8 ATVs right now and the Ozark is the only one that has never let me down. Starts and runs everytime you need it to with only routine maintenance. Not a powerhouse, but you can't expect it to be at only 250cc. The price is also very good, you might add it to your list also.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
What the wear parts on a 4x4 quad? and how many hours is the engine good for before a rebuild is needed?

I've got a 2001 Suzuki Kingquad 300 that I've had since new, mostly used around our place hauling wood or doing some other chore. Its a gear machine(no cvt belt) so the only wear items have been hand grips. I might have 1000hrs on it, with a 1-200 hard ones plowing snow on my 1/4 mile driveway for 6 years.
Basically I change the oil and clean the air filter yearly and that's it. Steering still has no play, suspension is all rubber bushings that haven't cracked. CV boots still haven't cracked, still original brake pads too. I don't mud it more than I have too either which helps.
Mine is useless for high speed or all day trail riding, but if you aren't doing that, a simple gear Honda/Suzuki machine with no power steering will run cheaply puttering around your property for as long as you want.

I got 7,000 Miles out out of my 2012 Honda Rancher 420 before my brother bought it from me, very dependable atv, low maintenance.

My experience-I have had several 4 wheelers thru the years and at moment own 2 honda atv's now which is 2007 rubicon and 98 300 both 4wd. They crank and run and like they should and only thing I do is regular maintaince. I have kids and they ride the wheels off them.only problem I have is keeping gas in them. . Bought a new polaris ranger in 2009 which good for while but I can't keep it going. It's always something with it and it's not run hard or mudded. No more polaris for me and I got friends with other polaris stuff and they say same thing. With that being said I'm not impressed with any of the newer stuff and even honda. All These machines keep getting Rediculously overpriced and complicated and are not as reliable as the simple well made older stuff. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Japanese only! Stay away from the Polaris trash and the Chinese garbage. Search the ATV forum for my posts about the new Polaris we bought. They were junk 15 yrs ago and still are. Can't hold a candle to a Japanese ATV.

Lol, whats a Japanese ATV nowadays? Most are made here now, including their engines, with globalized parts. IIRC, Yamaha still makes their engines in Japan.

Oh and my American made'04 Polaris has a Japanese engine.

I'm looking to buy my first atv. I have a few questions about the overall reliability of the different manufacturers and what model would you recommend for me. All questions will consider all of the major manufacturers: Honda, Polaris, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Arctic Cat.
1. Which brand has the greatest reliability associated with it?

2. Which brand requires the least/easiest maintenance? (I'm all about maintaining and taking care of my things. I just don't want to have to do it every time I turn around)

3. Should I buy new or used?

4. Which model would you recommend for me?

I'm about 5'10'' and 165 lbs. I have limited riding experience, although I did ride with my friends growing up. I'm not looking for the strongest, fastest machine. I'm just looking for something to use for hunting, leisurely trail riding, and to help with small tasks around the house. 4x4 isn't a must for me, but it would be a plus.

For your first ATV, being the same height and weight as you, using what you describe and your questions, I would want simplicity and dead reliability just as you are looking for. Forget the bells and whistles. I wouldn't get any ATV new. I would recommend a slightly older Honda Recon 2wd or Rancher 4wd used. With Honda they are not power monsters, they don't have complex suspensions or power steering or complex transmissions. Simple Honda 5 speed semi-automatics go forever.

I have a bro-in law who has a Can-Am, a bro-in law who has a Honda Rancher, know someone with a Kawi BruteForce, a bro-in law with a Polaris. A brother who has a Yamaha Grizzly. I myself have owned a Honda Foreman and currently a Suzuki Kingquad. None of them had significant issues, while we ride. I have ridden all of them. They all have their strong points to be sure, some have pretty big draw backs.

If you are to get more involved in riding with others then your tastes might change as your experience grows...or it may not. The only reason I moved from the Foreman is that I was getting more serious about trail rides and I wanted to be able to challenge myself according to my experience. When I had the Honda, on the trails I could still reasonably keep up on the trails with friends and it was more than capable of the tasks I put it through.

Last edited:
A quad used for hunting should be 4x4 and a winch will come in handy. Used is fine, if you can find one that has been taken care of. Have fun.

I ve been buying atvs since 1993 and have owned over 40. Polaris is a good solid quad. Nothing will beat the price and absolutely nothing will beat the ride with McPhersons struts. Polaris 500's are a very reliable quad and the suspensions are built well and quite easy to maintenance. The problem Polaris has is they are different and people cant seem to wrap their brain around that. Polaris are more rugged and actually simpler. They are almost like farm equipment. You will get people who simply cannot understand how they work because they don't do that in Japan logic. I have a 400 two stroke Polaris Xplorer with the front chain drive, which everyone thought would be a total nightmare. It has almost 3000 miles and is totally original yet. Follow the maintenance (which isn't extreme)and it will last forever. Everyone that I saw that had trouble had people monkeying with them. Polaris 500 Sportsman is a very good choice and cheaper by far than any Japanese models. Now the 570.

I bought a new 2014 Honda Rancher 420 4x4 with the DCT transmission last August and I love it. It is my first ATV. I bought it because my fiancee and her two kids have Honda's and her kids have beat the [censored] out of theirs with minimal maintenance and they just keep on going.

She has a 2005 Honda Rancher 4x4 automatic that her son has beat the [censored] out of it and it's still going strong with no problems and minimal maintenance.

Wayne

Last edited:
If your looking at a new machine you can't beat Yamaha, Honda, Can Am. If your going to buy used, take a really hard look at the machine for signs of recent repairs or abuse.

Most of the newer ones are fairly straight forward to maintain, you might have to remove some panels to reach things but it's not too bad. I have a Can Am and so far it has been solid, I do know they can be finicky electrically but I have a warranty to cover anything I can't fix.

I currently have a Polaris Ranger 700cc UTV 4x4. I have tortured that machine using it for work and play since purchase in 2011 (im the second owner) Its had one CV boot go bad and the Speed sensor go out and a bendix go bad in the 4 years ive owned it and I use it year round.

I was made a offer on a 2015 Kawasaki Teryx 800cc just yesterday from my local dealer. Im likely going to trade in. My Polaris has served me well for 4 years with only small issues.

The only machines I would warn anyone away from in my experience are those knock-off no name machines.

There is a lot of good advice in this thread.
Here is my 2 cents:
I use my ATVs for work. It's not easy on the machine. I have put my machines into tough situations and beat on them pretty hard. I'm talking inclines way over recommended and getting stuck so bad a dozer is necessary for retrieval. 4x4 and locking front diff is a must or I can't finish my duties. I don't abuse them for fun, I abuse them to finish jobs and get paid. I need to go through and get to spots on job sites and cannot avoid stuff as if I was riding for recreation.
My first work ATV was a Suzuki 500 Quadrunner. I LOVED that machine. It was solid, reliable, and very good on fuel. I ran it hard and sold it for $400 less than I paid for it. No locking front differential and no rear independent suspension made 8 hour days hard on myself and my equipment.
My second and current ATV is a 2005 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 FIS. It is no coincidence that it has a Suzuki built engine in it. I feel the 500cc Suzuki is one of the best ever built. I have put 2700 hard work miles on it and have had one failure: the front 4x4 actuator wore out. It was a $200 part that took me 10 minutes to change. I shift in and out of 4x4 a LOT during a work day so I'm not going to complain. This beast is on it's second winch and is just now needing tires. I have no desire to replace it as it rides and handles very well for my application.
I am strict about my maintenance and believe it is what keeps my stuff reliable. I run T6 Rotella with Fram filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back