New To Me 2004 Ford F250 V10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a 2004 Ford F250 6.8L V10 2-wheel drive last week. Two owner vehicle with only 56K on the odometer. 2nd owner is a Ford mechanic for a local dealer. He owned it for four years and only put 4K on it because he used it only to tow a 30ft TT to the desert.

Runs great and has plenty of power but my concern is that I do not know the service history of this vehicle from the first owner. 2nd owner said he only changed the oil when he bought it and that's it.

He was nice enough to do a full service on it before I took possession but I'm wondering if I should half the recommended 5K oil change to clean the inside of the engine. I did look down the oil filler tube and it does appear to be fairly clean.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Don't worry. What about the trans and differential how old is the coolant?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Don't worry.

^^^This^^^ My opinion and based on opinion alone I would do 1 year or 5k mile OCI's for daily driver with some towing. 1 year or 3k if the trucks primary purpose will be towing with an SN rated conventional of your choice.

"Full Service" from a reputable mechanic should include these items.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

"Full Service" from a reputable mechanic should include these items.
Should may be like assume.

As others have said, I'd make sure any other items that need servicing have been, but I wouldn't be a bit concerned about how clean the engine is.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Run a syn and change it on regular oci
Not a bad idea.

The second owner (mechanic) gave me the receipts from his dealership showing the service, oil change, lube, trans oil and filter change, tire rotation.

I believe all other fluids, diff, ps, coolant have not been changed since new. Pulled the trans dipstick out and it was red but now sweet smelling like I'm normally use too. Does Mercon have a distinctive smell to it?

I'm ok with doing a couple of quick oil changes but should I stick with Motorcraft Syn-blend 5w-20 or look to something else?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: fbergski
The second owner (mechanic) gave me the receipts from his dealership showing the service, oil change, lube, trans oil and filter change, tire rotation.

I believe all other fluids, diff, ps, coolant have not been changed since new. Pulled the trans dipstick out and it was red but now sweet smelling like I'm normally use too. Does Mercon have a distinctive smell to it?

I'm ok with doing a couple of quick oil changes but should I stick with Motorcraft Syn-blend 5w-20 or look to something else?

Thanks

Motorcraft would be a fine choice....

Thats a great engine. I put 100k on one before the ecoboost I've got now and it runs the same as it did when new. I wouldn't worry about it at all if its running well. They're pretty stout from what I've read, seen, and experienced. Change the oil on an interval fitting your use and call it a day. Like some of the above said, I might change the coolant and I'd probably flush the brake fluid and check the power steering fluid. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back