Strut-Shock recommendation for 1996 Buick Century

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our 1996 Buick Century V6 with 40k appears to need shocks and struts. Anyone have a similar car and can recommend a particular brand type replacement?

Monroe or Gabriel quick struts in the front, and the same brand's rear shock. Both have a rebate promo this month.

Unfortunately. KYB doesn't seem to make quick struts for your car.

If u like stock ride, u can go OEM or save money going with Gabriel or Monroe. For better performance / stance, go bilsteins if available.

The Gabriel on Rockauto are one of the best, they sell the fronts for $160 each - GABRIEL Part # G56908

The AC Delco professional are probably pretty good too at $123 each - ACDELCO Part # 903009RS

Not sure if your vehicle uses something else in the rear, but Rockauto only sells front quick struts for that vehicle. If you shop locally the Monroes and Moog are usually okay.

I took a chance and installed Gabriel struts on the front of the 'ol minivan awhile back...have been VERY happy with them...good dampening and ride. I recommend them and will buy them again.

I guess the biggest difference is gas vs regular shocks,struts.

Last edited:
What was OEM from the factory-probably regular shocks. A car that old with a little stiffer shock could rattle/rattle more. I wouldn't go with a gas shock/strut.

I've heard better things about Monroes.

However, I do not like their Quick-Struts. The springs inside them are worse than OEM. Mine was too stiff, jacked up the ride height, and made the car ride like [censored].

Use the regular struts and reuse the OEM springs.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I do not like their Quick-Struts. The springs inside them are worse than OEM. Mine was too stiff, jacked up the ride height, and made the car ride like [censored]

ALL new springs will do this! The reason is that the old springs have sagged during the past 20 years. The new springs are the original height. Even if you bought brand new springs, OEM or aftermarket, separately or as part of a quick strut, they will ALL raise the height!

New struts and springs will also be a bit stiff when brand new, but they will settle. This isn't restricted to quick struts.

Leaning towards the AC Delco ( all Gas) as after some research they seem to give a better handling ride. The Monroe's seem to sacrifice the very same in reviewing part specific items.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I do not like their Quick-Struts. The springs inside them are worse than OEM. Mine was too stiff, jacked up the ride height, and made the car ride like [censored]

ALL new springs will do this! The reason is that the old springs have sagged during the past 20 years. The new springs are the original height. Even if you bought brand new springs, OEM or aftermarket, separately or as part of a quick strut, they will ALL raise the height!

New struts and springs will also be a bit stiff when brand new, but they will settle. This isn't restricted to quick struts.

It's not from sagging. I had the FSM and checked the ride height according to procedure in the FSM.

With quick-struts the ride height was always well-over factory spec. I had them for over a year and it did not change.

I also replaced the OEM springs in the rear and the ride height was exact factory spec after replacement.

My car also comes in I4 and V6 flavours and Monroe uses the exact same part for both. Sorry, but one part does not fit all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back