Kia 1.6 Petrol UOA. Very high Aluminium and Iron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lurker here. I know images are discouraged, but I couldn't get the formatting to work right.

I got this car not by choice out of a divorce. My x ran the last oil change for 30~ miles, it was a blend oil. When i drained that oil, there was approx .75-1 quart in the engine.

I did an oil change Castrol Full syn 5/20 and ran it 3k then drained for analysis/UOA. I'm not quite sure how to take the comments and the levels. Am i looking at a ticking time bomb? What do I do now? Thanks all for your input and great forums!

Screen_Shot_2015_04_22_at_10_02_52_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2015_04_22_at_10_02_40_PM.png

I would read it pretty much exactly as written. Had you not mentioned the abuse they would have commented "she's ready to blow" but considering the history they're saying "run her another 3,000 miles and maybe it will be OK or maybe she's ready to blow".

The motor you already own is always the cheapest. Run 'er.

Wow, can't believe you had a 30k OCI in there. Having just a quart left in there is insane...very fortunate that it didn't die on you.

The low oil before is bad, but the car should survive okay. My bigger concern though is how it was driven while it was low.

If she drove it hard while it was down, at that point it might be trade in fodder...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Keep doing short changes every 2k then resample a full run to see what happens.

I'm thinking maybe like one more with a good oil at maybe 3-5k-then see where it is at.

I'm thinking a good fresh oil in there should give him a better idea....

With only 3K on this OCI, the FP of the oil would be a slight concern to me as well, unless it was seriously short tripped during this time. Is this a direct injection engine or?

The only thing of concern here IMO is the iron and low flash point. The iron IMO is a hangover of previous abuse I'd be really surprised if that doesn't continue to trend down over time.

This vehicle sounds like a good candidate for some short OCI's with a top quality dino like PYB.

JMO.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The only thing of concern here IMO is the iron and low flash point. The iron IMO is a hangover of previous abuse I'd be really surprised if that doesn't continue to trend down over time.

This vehicle sounds like a good candidate for some short OCI's with a top quality dino like PYB.

JMO.

+1. If it were my car I'd do a few 1,500-2,000 mile OCIs with a good conventional and an over sized oil filter. I'm surprised at the 0.3% insolubles....that oil filter taken off for the 30k OCI was likely in bypass at that point.

ZeroAviation, do you know what oil and filter combo was used during the 30k OCI? Was the oil light ever on?

Thank you all very very much for your replies!

I'm not sure what filter/oil combo was used during the 30k OCI. I know my x wife drove it hard (just how she drove).

In light of the comments here, I decided to get rid of it. Both because of the memories, and the concerns with engine.

Thanks again!
-Matt

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

JMO.

Exactly. Save the synthetic use until after it gets cleaned up.

wow, crazy report.

Only subsequent UOA will tell if it will recover. Keep the intervals short and keep an eye on the oil level in case she's burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back