Heating Oil Prep to burn in diesel motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remove heating oil tanks and have 500 gallons on hand. I have used heating oil in the past in my equipment. Is there a danger to the diesel motors by using 1000 ppm heating oil for fuel?

Strange that the diesel for vehicles is low sulfur and the heating oil is high sulfur. Government is wonderful.

The real problem is that Standard Road Diesel #2, Diesel #1, Kerosene, K-1, Jet Fuel, JP-1, Agricultural Diesel, Diesel #2, Home Heating Oil/Fuel Oil #4, or Home Heating Oil/Fuel Oil #6 may be shipped by fuel distribution companies and sold for use as home heating oil.

Home Heating Oil/Fuel Oil #4 and Home Heating Oil/Fuel Oil #6 have a much higher BTU content. This is done by adding much heavier petroleum oil distillate similar to automotive motor oil to the formulation. This allows a furnace to burn less fuel, for each BTU of heat produced. These types of fuel should NOT be used in a Diesel Engine without modifying the mix to correct this.

You also need to be sure your fuel pump gets the proper lubrication and since you don't see red dye then you are running fuel that has not been taxed and that might be a big problem.

But the answer is, yes.

He has 500 gallons that he paid for and had to do something with. He can try to sell it, probably at a loss, or use it somehow. Could he put 5 gallons at a time in his diesel at fill-ups and use it up?

Basically it's illegal because the road tax hasn't been paid and it has a different color. It's a big fine if you're caught.

Originally Posted By: Cat320
Thank you for the prompt replays. Heating Oil is a dark red. Some guys suggest adding a quart of transmission fluid. Any Thoughts?
Interstate truckers are subject to the closest attention from the Federalies. If you use heating oil in some proportion in a low profile diesel car and don't have a "It's a diesel" bumper sticker, well, that is below the radar. For cold weather it lacks anti gel additives.
The "diesel oil politzie" use a comparator for making sure the "red" is the real thing.

Unless someone told me it was going to hurt my truck I'd blend it in discreetly and not lose a bit of sleep. Has anyone ever been checked, or heard of anyone being randomly checked for illegal fuel in their diesel car or pick up truck? Good grief.

What kind of diesel engines are you talking about?
If you've got emissions engines that really need low sulfur fuel, I'd not use it.
If you have old-school diesels with no after-treatment, it should do no harm.
Fully mechanical FI engines?
Even better.
I'd mix it at some sensible ratio, maybe 20% and use it up.
The only folks I've ever heard of being hassled by the authorities about running untaxed fuel have been farmers, who do often have a large tank of untaxed off-road use fuel on property.
At 20%, your fuel should still be red enough and taxed enough that there'll be no issues in the very unlikely event that you get stopped and checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back