2006 Ford 6.0 Powerstroke - 4300mi - M1 TDT 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was doing some engine upgrades and decided to go ahead and change the oil at the same time. Yes I know it was way early and could have gone longer, but whatever... I was already having to drain it.
crazy.gif
As usual per the 6.0L, it sheared the nuts off the 40-weight oil in only 4300mi. I refilled with Rotella T5 10w30... so I'm hoping the shearing will slow as it has shown for others. Also ran commercial grade B-20 the entire OCI... no ill effects being shown in the oil over the last OCI.

Code:

OIL M1 TDT M1 TDT

OIL FILTER OEM OEM

AIR FILTER OEM OEM

DIESEL TYPE B20 B5

MILES IN USE 4300 5000

MILES 69300 65000

SAMPLE TAKEN 3/6/15 8/21/14

ALUMINUM 2 2

CHROMIUM 2 2

IRON 19 25

COPPER 2 3

LEAD 4 2

TIN 4 1

MOLYBDENUM 8 23

NICKEL 0 1

MANGANESE 1 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 0 3

BORON 76 61

SILICON 8 11

SODIUM 3 4

CALCIUM 1245 1108

MAGNESIUM 962 1025

PHOSPHORUS 1089 1083

ZINC 1276 1284

BARIUM 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.1 0.3

WATER 0 0

FUEL
FLASHPOINT ºF 420 420

SUS VIS 210ºF 64.6 66.7

cSt @ 212ºF 11.51 12.07

Last edited:
So it sheared to a healthy 30 weight, and as I gathered it is a problem in your eyes...so the solution is to re-fill with a 30wt? I'm confused, but see this "solution" from many.
5w's shear like mad unless you go group 4&5, anyone that shifts gears with their left foot will tell ya
wink.gif
I'm not an advocate for watery oils, but if wear numbers look good why bother?

The shearing isn't a "problem" per-se in my eyes as I don't think there's a 6.0 out there that doesn't do it with the stress the HPOP puts on the oil. That being said, the UOAs coming from 30-weights in the 6.0 tend to show little-to-no shearing... and no increase in wear metals. In addition, both Ford and CAT have changed their recommendations with their HEUI systems recommending 30-weight oils up to 90*F and 104*F respectively stating improved HPOP operation and injector performance.

Seems like all the signs are telling us something - "Have a HEUI? Give it a 30-weight or it'll make one for you."
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
So it sheared to a healthy 30 weight, and as I gathered it is a problem in your eyes...so the solution is to re-fill with a 30wt? I'm confused, but see this "solution" from many.
5w's shear like mad unless you go group 4&5, anyone that shifts gears with their left foot will tell ya
wink.gif
I'm not an advocate for watery oils, but if wear numbers look good why bother?

" 5w's shear like mad"

Are you for real?
Your entire post is tripe. I'm sure the op appreciates your effort.

Watery oils. HILLARIOUS.

Op
The 6.0 seems to turn every 40 grade no matter if conventional or syn into a 30 grade so what you are seeing is common with that engine.
Good news is that they are fine running an hdeo 10w-30.
Metals are consistent which means nothing abnormal going on and no coolant intrusion.
Looks fine.

What work did you have done to the engine.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

What work did you have done to the engine.

Just an oil pan gasket. She was marking her territory a bit too much for my liking lol... and making a mess of the undercarriage.

I should add to my original post - my engine has been "bulletproofed" by 6.0 standards (EGR welded shut in both ends, ARP studs, coolant filtration installed, rebuilt and upgraded FICM, 4" straight pipe exhaust, oil stand pipes, some fittings upgraded, etc etc etc etc). She's also running fairly aggressive tuning (Truck Source Diesel - SPD tune).

Last edited:
As real as they come. Granted a plain ic engine can't do as much damage to oil as a15k rpm 6speed combo, but yeah, when I drain the oil out of the bike, it is thinner than anything I've ever seen. Now if you can guide me to a 5w40 in a gp 3 that can take the abuse, I'm all ears.

5W-40 is a wide spread lots of viscosity improvers ! The higher the viscosity index the more prone to shear .

Understandable that the oil had to come out for the work; not a waste in that regard (unless you catch and refil ... but that too has risks).

Overall pretty typical wear and characteristics; nothing alarming here at all.

Good mods, overall. I'm not a person who tunes up a truck, but many of the things you've done will greatly aid reliability, so kudos!

Shearing, schmearing ... it's moot. I suspect the T5 will do very nicely. Get a Fumoto (if you don't have one) and then you can sample before draining.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Get a Fumoto (if you don't have one) and then you can sample before draining.

Fumoto already installed. :) Love those things.

Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Get a Fumoto (if you don't have one) and then you can sample before draining.

Fumoto already installed. :) Love those things.

I love them too! I have one on my Dmax. I use it to get a "live" sample and then get the analysis done. I've run some three year OCIs based upon the data, rather than just blindly dump oil. The Fumoto is da-bom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back