Amsoil not making PAO base synthetic oil anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Actually it is making me wonder why I am spending more for M1 rather than just buying Supertech....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Flareside302
uhm dude.. Amsoil's OE is pretty much [censored] near equal to Mobil 1...

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

All this is telling you is that these oils are in line with API SN requirements. Another words, no red flags. You cannot draw any other conclusions from this as to the actual performance of the oils.

As far as the base stock goes, M1 oils will have a superior base stock compared to ST syn.

No but the chemical makeup is what makes an oil good vs another.. It's pretty basic.. [censored]... It's basic.. Very basic..

And you think that VOA tells you the chemical makeup?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
No but the chemical makeup is what makes an oil good vs another.. It's pretty basic.. [censored]... It's basic.. Very basic..

And you think that VOA tells you the chemical makeup?

Not the exact makeup but the features of the oil.. Due to the chemical makeup..

Originally Posted By: Tiboi
By your answers, it seems like you are into it already LOL

You do realize that MolaKule is a scientist, not a preacher, don't you? Or are you an engineer, Mola? I suppose that would be half way in between.
wink.gif

A VOA will tell you little to nothing about base stocks or any additives that aren't the more basic non-organic additives. You'll know if it uses a sodium additive pack or not, you'll know TBN, viscosity properties (and not even all of those unless you pay for them), flash point, and things like zinc, phosphorous, moly, and so forth. Even the moly number tells you little since there are different types of moly.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Tiboi
By your answers, it seems like you are into it already LOL

You do realize that MolaKule is a scientist, not a preacher, don't you? Or are you an engineer, Mola? I suppose that would be half way in between.
wink.gif

A VOA will tell you little to nothing about base stocks or any additives that aren't the more basic non-organic additives. You'll know if it uses a sodium additive pack or not, you'll know TBN, viscosity properties (and not even all of those unless you pay for them), flash point, and things like zinc, phosphorous, moly, and so forth. Even the moly number tells you little since there are different types of moly.

Well put Garak
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
You do realize that MolaKule is a scientist, not a preacher, don't you? Or are you an engineer, Mola? I suppose that would be half way in between. wink

No, not a preacher, but my dad preached to me a lot when I was a kid!
spankme2.gif

One can look at my profile and see what nefarious stuff I am into.
21.gif

Last edited:
Wow. Lot's of hate, ignorance and plain stupidity in this thread. It's weird, it is like BITOG never evolves.

People who chose Amsoil are "out of their mind". Wow.

In a nutshell:

Amsoil OE and XL are the exact same base oil. Likely mostly a good grade of Group III.

The SS oils are Group IV and V, with very little VII's.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Wow. Lot's of hate, ignorance and plain stupidity in this thread. It's weird, it is like BITOG never evolves.

People who chose Amsoil are "out of their mind". Wow.

In a nutshell:

Amsoil OE and XL are the exact same base oil. Likely mostly a good grade of Group III.

The SS oils are Group IV and V, with very little VII's.

Thank you! I got tired of fighting all by myself... So I've stopped

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Wow. Lot's of hate, ignorance and plain stupidity in alot of threads. It's weird, it is like BITOG never evolves.

Edited
56.gif

Hate is a strong word. Some of the criticism of Amsoil is justifiable and understandable, some is not. I think a lot of the frustration comes from their dealer network who often don't know much about what they are selling and have a tendency to greatly exaggerate. All brands get ripped on. It's not exclusive to Amsoil. Plllleaaaassseee.

Pablo strikes down the 4+ page discussion in one simple, educated response. Outstanding.

-signed, out of my mind with Amsoil and loving it.

its a little later now + as we know things change. being an avid amsoil user thru the years it seems my car is eating more of it than in the past, even changed from 10-30 SS to 10-40 premium synthetic. i know 25 lb of boost tends to push the oil a bit + only a bit over 4 qts in the sump. my other turbo'd 1.8 went 200,000 on the 10-30 with 20 lbs vacuum on the gauge at trade in. looking at penrite oils, they make no bones about their oil types used in their varying grades, why is everyone in the USA so "sneaky". just hungry for a bit more profits fot the stockholders i suppose. with the quality group III synthetics of today + mobil I extended performance with "some" PAO base oil they make my Amsoil using days may be over. its surely the whole mixture but group IV + V oils superiority is well documented. typical cars are one thing but higher performing small turbo'd engines + hot running air-oil cooled motorcycles are more challenging. my 106" victory with shared engine + tranny oil chews up cheap oils + shifts poorly in a short time!!!!

Last edited:
been looking at Penrite oils from Australia, they have many types as well + don't mind saying what group base oils are used. a fellow forum member on Victory motorcycles had mentioned it. only available in a few places, seen it on summit racing's but its gone now. being a longtime satisfied Amsoil user i feel their superiority was partly due to their PAO base oils. when oils are tested they are new + the breakdown that happens with dino oils + VII's dont get noted.vehicles with controlled temperatures don't stress oils like a hot air-oil cooled v-twin motorcycle, especially with a shared engine + gearbox oil supply. i guess Redline will be my new motorcycle oil seeing as there is little or no shear stable PAO used in the 10-40 + 20-50 premium synthetic variations of amsoil, robust add pack with high TBN is a plus though

Amsoil OE appears to have a more robust additive package than regular Mobil 1, but not as strong as the EP version.

Perhaps we can say it's similar to Mobil 1 Plus or EP Minus.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back