BP Exiting Cellulosic Biofuels in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigt61
With cheap oil everywhere, bio-fuels are making less economic sense.

And thus, we start yet another downward cycle in our quest to become energy self reliant. I've witnessed about three of these cycles since the oil embargo of the mid 1970's. Everyone will relax their standards about conserving energy (bigger cars and trucks, etc.). In a few years the supply will dry up, once again, and we will be whining about how dangerous it is to be so dependent on others for energy. We make a few strides forward during each cycle, so all is not lost.

Your comment reflects how short term our memory is. It's just human nature, I guess.

Thanks for the link, Nyogtha. I do research in biofuels and we have noticed the downturn already this year.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

And thus, we start yet another downward cycle in our quest to become energy self reliant. I've witnessed about three of these cycles since the oil embargo of the mid 1970's. Everyone will relax their standards about conserving energy (bigger cars and trucks, etc.). In a few years the supply will dry up, once again, and we will be whining about how dangerous it is to be so dependent on others for energy. We make a few strides forward during each cycle, so all is not lost.

Your comment reflects how short term our memory is. It's just human nature, I guess.

Thanks for the link, Nyogtha. I do research in biofuels and we have noticed the downturn already this year.

Oh I don't know about that being that other than a global slow down US production is a big reason why there's so much supply. We've become better at extraction. Also it's not like the Gov't is going to roll back their min fleet efficiency requirements.

It's just the cellulosic biofuels BP is exiting in the US.

I can't tell you how many years I've heard a breakthrough is "just around the corner" on cellulosic biofuels.

It would appear BP who advertised their acronym as standing for "Beyond Petroleum" has concluded there is no corner in sight, only a cul-de-sac for cellulosic biofuels.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

And thus, we start yet another downward cycle in our quest to become energy self reliant. I've witnessed about three of these cycles since the oil embargo of the mid 1970's.

The big difference now is that more of the oil is being produced in the US and Canada. Cellulosic biofuels were a placebo that the Feds put in the Renewable Fuels Standard to silence the critics who said using our food supply to make fuel was foolish. So the Feds said "Just wait 10 years, and we'll be making ethanol from switch grass grown on marginal lands." Well, 10 years came and went as of 2012, and there was no cellulosic ethanol to put on the market. Just another case of central planning gone bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Just another case of central planning gone bad.

I'm really getting sick of hearing that line from the far right. Do you want planning of any kind? Or just leave our future to minute to minute price fluctuations on the commodities market?

Well we are just as sick at the rank failures of central planning. As stated above this was a carrot thrown to the fools who believe the state cares about them. Using food to make fuel IS foolish, and is a purely political decision.

The comical part is the other side of the aisle wants to portray every conservative as ignorant yet your own failures are very well documented. Conservatives do not favor dirty water or air, war, etc., and have families and houses in suburbia right next to the lefties...

You cannot force this change, the market will demand it and someone will fill the need...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

You cannot force this change, the market will demand it and someone will fill the need...

I don't even know why I'm responding to you.

Did the market drive space exploration, particle accelerators, cancer research, etc. etc. etc. that have made our lives better and possibly saved the future of mankind. Did the market put together research for nuclear weapons?

Your model of the world doesn't work. And the conservatives are the ones who drove the laws on ethanol.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I'm really getting sick of hearing that line from the far right. Do you want planning of any kind? Or just leave our future to minute to minute price fluctuations on the commodities market?

What makes politicians competent to see into the future and accurately place values on commodities?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

What makes politicians competent to see into the future and accurately place values on commodities?

Agreed. I see no evidence to support such obviously biased statements. I'm more of a show me results kind of guy, haven't seen anything to indicate that idiot elected officials do anything other than pretty much whatever benefits THEM and their cronies.

We're from the Government and we are here to help you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back