Broken air filter housing...is this ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the air filter myself for the fist time in my Accord, I got a Honda OEM unit of course
wink.gif
After cleaning the MAF sensor and installing the new air filter, I checked to make sure the fit was snug, thats when I noticed a crack. I looked closer and saw that the "lip" of the top of the air filter housing was gone, I can feel the rubber seal of the filter even with everything nice and tight. Not sure how long its been broke but if you go back and look at my UOA the silicon is not high. I am due for an oil change in about 600 miles and I will be doing a UOA so it would show high silicon if its not making a tight seal right?
Here are pics:
20150422_1807271_zpsnr1bgwwn.jpg

20150422_1807101_zps5xxk0fn0.jpg

Duct tape is a good temporary fix, but I would not trust my engine to it. That is a bad crack, I would replace it.

Is the crack on the clean air side or dirty air side? If it's on the clean air side I'd duct tape or JB Weld it. If it's on the dirty side I'd leave it alone. MORE AIR = MORE POWER RIGHT!?!? FTW!!! Then you can tell everybody about the CAI on your vTEC yo!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
As long as you don't have air bypassing the air filter and entering the engine, you're alright.

Just what I was going to say. On my housing this crack would be BELOW the filter. So the air would have to pass through the filter first anyways. But this will make your air filter dirtier, quicker. But they filter better slightly dirty anyways. Get some gorilla tape. Much better than duct tape.

I put silver foil tape on my brothers accord, it's been solid for 2 years, he said his gas Milage has gone up significantly. It was the air intake hose that had a big crack, dealer had serviced his vehicle prior to that, never again.

Try and find one at a junk yard. Probably get it for 10-20 bucks or so. And you will learn some more about your car. And connections.

The UOA could show elevated silicon just from changing the air filter mid oci, save the UOA for the subsequent oil change if you want to narrow it down.

Even if it doesn't leak now, don't trust it to not leak in the near future. Like everyone else here, duct tape it now. Go to the junk yard when you can.

It might be hard to duct tape the outside, if the inside is smooth you can tape it there. Then nobody can see it

Duct tape - HVAC foil back tape - fiberglass strip (AZ carries one just for plastics)
But I'd get a replacement when able to & replace

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
As long as you don't have air bypassing the air filter and entering the engine, you're alright.

This. You're probably stressing about nothing.

Alright guys I just ordered a new cover from Bernardi Honda to the tune of $65 (includes shipping and extra bolt/washer combo since one is stripped). There were no pics, only going off the part # so I am hoping they send the right part. Hoping its easy to remove this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back