intermittent fasting diet or variation of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to gut down carbs dramatically, zero bread..ever. Limited pastas, etc. Up protein and non saturated fats are fine. You need to raise your resting metabolism which means exercise. Without limiting carbs and increasing excercise you are 100% doomed. Don't even bother trying. Its a painful journey. 95% of people that do diets ultimately fail.

Read "Wheat Belly Total Health " by Dr Davis. He really wants you to eliminate "grass grains..100%" 15 grams of other carbs per meal". That's the reader's digest versiion.

Last edited:
It's true that a calorie is a calorie, but the your body cannot handle all energy sources the same way.

If I eat primarily sugar and starch, my energy levels will swing wildly between meals, even if the meals are rather close together. Blood sugar levels must be tightly controlled, so when there is a large influx your body must put away most of it. The first 'store' is glycogen. But our bodies have limited glycogen storage capacity, so when that is full it must make fat from the excess sugar.

A model I find helpful is to imagine my body has a sugar tank, which is the sugar that can safely circulate in my blood plus the glycogen it can store in liver and muscle. If I repeatedly overfill this tank I am asking for trouble, for reasons beyond the scope of this discussion, and which aren't my expertise anyway.
wink.gif

I know that for me, eating too late in the evening makes my body feel bad that night and the next morning. So if fasting from 7 PM to 9 AM (for example) is intermittent fasting then I do believe this is good for me. Plus, my guts can use a break from food processing.

Stop eating processed food. You will cut out junk your body isn't built to deal with.
Want to get in shape?, take more aerobic exercise.
Want to lose weight?, eat less.
Want to get in shape and lose weight?, see above. It will hurt a bit when it starts taking effect, but don't wimp out and you will get there.
To stay fit and healthy keep up a healthy lifestyle. our partner should be pleased!.

I understood a calorie was the energy required to raise an ounce of water 1 degree farenhiet.

Claud.

Most those over weight need to do some detox....those food(sic) has things that need to be cleaned out. Eating too much fillers makes you want to eat more. Process food from what I read or those in the inner supermarket isles does things in your system so you want to eat more of it with no nutrient value. It's how those big business makes money.

Also GMO in my opinion does something to disrupt the digestive system. Try going to the supermarket and check the ingredients on the oils used all GMO or it has GMO corn, GMO wheat or GMO soy. Just about 99% GMO oil. GMO this GMO that. Even so called healthy frozen wild fish sticks has some GMO in it so that makes it yuk to me.

Eating out also I mean they use GMO oil. My favorite oil is Macadamia nut oil and favorite sea salt is Kona Sea Salt clean good salt.

Also parasites and bad bacteria can cause you to not to lose weight because your food don't burn off properly.

If you are over weight you need to cleanse your system out. In the olden days in my neck of woods there was 3 foods you needed to eat regularly.

1 - Natto good for the digestive, strong bones(K2) and keeps appetite down.

2 - Chinese parsley good detox mostly like adding that to soups and steaming fish.

3 - Gobo burdock root good cleanser and aids digestive.

Also a lot of tropical fruits I like eating wild mountain apple. That is food for the good bacteria in the digestive, need to understand good bacteria keeps you healthy good digestive. Some will say well this fruit is not nutrient enough but you are thinking wrong food for the bacteria is needed too. It's the good bacteria fighting the bad stuff so need to keep it healthy.
Those veggie/fruit blender stuff isn't only nutrient stuff but to feed the good bacteria. Having a healthy digestive keeps appetite down too.

Fasting is said to ease the organs and for the body to detox. Eating a lot of fruits and veggie also eases the organs and a slow detox.

Originally Posted By: Al
You need to gut down carbs dramatically, zero bread..ever. Limited pastas, etc. Up protein and non saturated fats are fine. You need to raise your resting metabolism which means exercise. Without limiting carbs and increasing excercise you are 100% doomed. Don't even bother trying. Its a painful journey. 95% of people that do diets ultimately fail.

+1 for the above.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
A calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

nonsense. you can eat the same number of calories and lose weight if they are first thing in the AM or gain wait if they are the last thing in PM. proven by human experiments and published in peer reviewed literature.

as for the OP's question: http://www.lift-heavy.com/intermittent-fasting/

Quote:
Abstract

An increasing number of animal studies have shown altered markers for health in subjects exposed to intermittent fasting, i.e. regularly and repeatedly abstaining from eating during 12-36 hours per period. It has been hypothesized that the reported beneficial health effects from caloric restriction on excess body weight, cardiovascular risk factors, glucose metabolism, tumor physiology, neurodegenerative pathology and life span can be mimicked by alternating periods of short term fasting with periods of refeeding, without deliberately altering the total caloric intake. Therefore, a systematic review of available intervention studies on intermittent fasting and animal and human health was performed. In rodents, intermittent fasting exhibits beneficial effects including decreased body weight, improved cardiovascular health and glucose regulation, enhanced neuronal health, decreased cancer risk and increased life span – some of the effects independent of the effects attributed to calorie restriction alone. The human studies performed to date are generally of low-quality design. Beneficial effects such as weight loss, reduced risk for cardiovascular disease and improved insulin sensitivity have been observed, but conflicting data exists. The potential health promoting effects of intermittent fasting in humans and applicability to modern lifestyle are discussed.

i'm doing the mini-version of it (12 hrs).

Originally Posted By: Claud

I understood a calorie was the energy required to raise an ounce of water 1 degree farenhiet.

1 cal = 1 g H20, 1 C
1 kcal = 1 kg H20, 1 C

I've lost quite a bit of weight by eating more often, but eating healthy stuff(vegetables) through out the day. Broccoli, bell peppers, cucumbers, and carrots, raw with no dips. I also have dropped gluten containing grains(they did bad things to me), and I find my cravings for food have dropped significantly near dinner time.
We also have too many GD chickens running around our place, so I eat 2-3-4 eggs a day for protein and good fats.
My motto for food now, is "more killer, less filler" so I try to eat foods that actually contain something useful for my body, not just the empty calories of most baked stuff, pasta, etc...
Its also an excuse to order steak more often, instead of saving $4 and have some khrappy pasta with "creamy" sauce(containing no actual cream) from a bucket...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back