gluten-free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

that food pyramid thing has been discontinued for some time now. it was never based on any science. I've heard it was phased in mostly due to insistence of agro industry lobbyists.

millions of Americans lost their life due to diabetes in the process. makes you wonder why there was never any hearings about this.

I think it originated in WW2, so it would help convince people to switch to more easily produced grains than animal proteins.

no, the actual "USDA food pyramid" started in 1992 and was replaced by "my plate" in 2011.

here is the brief history of influence of US government on food consumption: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/health/food-pyramid/

well, after Easter update:
did mostly home cooking to control ingredients. (vegy plate, cold meats + cheeses plate, homemade meatballs soup, lamb and true mashed potatoes + salad)
only did some GF cookies and a small GF cake. (bob's red mill)
What parents do for their kids....(this is from a guy that experienced the fresh from the mill, fresh from the clay oven bread, oh, good times...)
So i guess from now on I would be putting the rice cooker to frequent use.
and I make a wicked polenta..

Gluten is an umbrella term for about 6-7 proteins that the body cannot digest. These proteins cannot be digested by anyone although some react to them more than others ie: gluten allergy vs gluten sensitivity.

In much the same way everyone who comes in contact with poison ivy is intolerant to it, poison ivy doesn't cause a system wide allergic response, only inflammation at the site of exposure. This is known as contact dermatitis.

Gluten has the same effect in the intestinal tract - a type of contact dermatitis on the walls of the intestine. Over time, chronic exposure can weaken the tissue and make it 'leaky' - this is known as leaky gut syndrome. Admittedly, leaky gut syndrome is not generally accepted by medical doctors as a diagnosis, although, keep in mind that only a decade ago it was widely believed that only people with Celiac disease had trouble with gluten. This belief is changing.

The gut walls are meant to let in the things the body needs and keep out the stuff the body doesn't. When the gut leaks, it lets in molecules (ie proteins) that are not meant to be in the body and that the body sees as foreign; consequently, it mounts an immune response against them.

I didn't think gluten was a problem for me until I went off of it for a few weeks and felt a difference.

I don't go all out to be gluten free but I do try to avoid wheat as much as I can. Wheat is one of the top 10 food toxins and what's interesting is that the wheat effect on chronic diseases is much more robust than the animal protein impact based on analysis of the raw data from the China study.

FYI, in case you don't know, the China Study is the major trump card used by vegans to claim that animal proteins lead to major chronic illnesses. Turns out the animal protein impact is not so robust to various control variables used in the statistical analysis, but the wheat effect is pretty robust.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb

FYI, in case you don't know, the China Study is the major trump card used by vegans to claim that animal proteins lead to major chronic illnesses. Turns out the animal protein impact is not so robust to various control variables used in the statistical analysis, but the wheat effect is pretty robust.

Hope they used imported food products in their study. Food products comimg from China scares me. And I am a pretty rational person.

Last edited:
For those with Celiac Disease...a gluten free diet is a neccesity.

For those that MAY have non-celiac gluten sensitivity, it may also be a good idea.

But I think what people need to keep in mind is that for the VAST majority of consumers, gluten presents ZERO issues with digestive health.

In my opinion the majority of the "gluten free" trend these days is another angle for money to be made by the food industry, with very little benefit to the often knee-jerk reaction of the consumer.

I don't go all out to be gluten free but I do try to avoid wheat as much as I can. Wheat is one of the top 10 food toxins and what's interesting is that the wheat effect on chronic diseases is much more robust than the animal protein impact based on analysis of the raw data from the China study.

My concern about meat is the garbage the feedlots feed them. Nothing like grass fed beef. Are true free range Chicken and eggs. I am not so sure Wheat is that healthy to consume and them there is GMO/GME foods and the foods drenched in poisons and herbicides.

thanks for bringing up the wheat connection in the china study.
i had to look it up: http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/09/02/the-china-study-wheat-and-heart-disease-oh-my/

i didn't read the book. did they mentioned it in the book or just concentrated on the animal protein thing (still controversial)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back