Aftermarket speakers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured out After installing a new head unit this weekend that all 4 factory 4x6 speakers in dads old 93 Z71 had given up the ghost ! I installed a Alpine head unit that he picked up on sale 6-7 years ago. No SOUND.. so I hooked up a box speaker and the stereo is pumping out music just fine.. so I asked dad, have the speakers been acting funny ? "Well, about 10 years ago and within a year of each other both the rear speakers started cutting out and the quit.. five years later one of the fronts.. then last year the other front started getting static" I told dad it wasn't the head unit, it was the speakers. so with the back story out of the way for fun, im in the speaker market. this truck takes 4x6's in the dash and behind the seat. I am 200% out of the loop on speakers these days. Dads half deaf (he uses hearing aids" and clearly with this back story isn't all that worried about speakers or sound quality for that matter. With that said I do want to buy something that's not going to just pop after 3 years of normal use. No, im not going to pay for OEM, and no im not putting ubber expensive high dollar stuff in there. He has given me a $100 cap on the price for the 4. I can buy them as cheap as $8-9 each however as previously stated I don't want just pure junk in there. Any suggestions ? ive checked out Boss, Pyle, etc on Amazon and a few others online.. id be glad to take a look at your suggestions for this old hunting truck.

Have you looked at the old ones? Are the foam surrounds disintegrated? Rubber or vinyl surrounds usually don't rot but I doubt it matters as I bet the speakers won't be replaced for a 3rd time

I used these to replace the 30yr old OE cones in the scirocco.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-SXE-4625S-4x6-150w-Coaxial-Speakers-Stereo-CD-/160520075366

Still going strong and sounding crisp after 5 or 6 years or daily use
smile.gif

Z71 and your dad didn't care until all 4 speakers didn't make a sound. Not many good men like that around these days. At that of basically $25 each, Pioneer coaxials tend to go on great discounts on ebay.

What'd I'd actually do is spend the majority of the $100 for the fronts and whatever budget is left go to the swap meet/garage sale and get cheap $10 4x6s for the rears. Best of luck.

No, I haven't looked. but with dads description id say its a safe bet that there all dead now. especially knowing that the new head units working well.

Just go to Wal-Mart and look for a good 3 way speaker. They have ok tweeters that are good at "louder" however iv ran into few after market speakers that have the same bass as OEM (not that OEM are know for bass).

Might not be a problem for some but I dislike it.

Anyways yeah anything you find at a super market will work fine. Shpuldnt cost you more then $50-$75

Last edited:
that's my plan tonight, I was looking on amazon a little while ago, however with shipping etc I know id have to wait awhile, im looking to get the swap done by this Sunday afternoon.

Your budget is $100 for FOUR? Hahahhahahahahaha....You obviously dont really want decent sound quality, just go to Amazon and filter by price and be done with it, the difference in sound quality btwn any particular speaker at that price point is non existent, they'll all just make some noise. think: 2 cans connected by a piece of string.

My advice: Go to a car stereo store and listen to various speakers and then go online and save 50%. You'll spend more than $100..hahahahahahaha...but at least you wont arrive at your destination with a splitting head ache.

Radio Shack used to have decent but cheap replacement speakers for most sizes.

Speakers in cars sometimes get water or heat damaged. Even bug infested.

Car Speakers are made in china for 4 dollars and sold in America for $39.95.

At My last job the M.E. was a designer at Boston Acoustics (which farmed out everything to the far east).
Then came the fall of high fidelity.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Your budget is $100 for FOUR? Hahahhahahahahaha....You obviously dont really want decent sound quality, just go to Amazon and filter by price and be done with it, the difference in sound quality btwn any particular speaker at that price point is non existent, they'll all just make some noise. think: 2 cans connected by a piece of string.

My advice: Go to a car stereo store and listen to various speakers and then go online and save 50%. You'll spend more than $100..hahahahahahaha...but at least you wont arrive at your destination with a splitting head ach

did you even read the post ? this is my fathers hunting truck... its a 93 with four blown factory speakers.. and 3 of the four have been blown awhile.. of course he doesn't want to put $ into fancy speakers. I thought this would have been clear from the back story..

Last edited:
Before you spend anymore money on anything, please take the time to remove the old speakers and test them. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at their quality

why do you say that ? what am I missing ? I have a brand new head unit that I have tested and it is working correctly its wired using a harness to the factory speakers. there is no amp, or anything else in between.

Last edited:
Those Sony or pioneer budget speakers in the auto section at Walmart is sufficient enough for a basic truck with speakers being powered off the headunit.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
why do you say that ? what am I missing ? I have a brand new head unit that I have tested and it is working correctly its wired using a harness to the factory speakers. there is no amp, or anything else in between.

Just ignore... I had the same reaction. Clearly did not read your OP or has an inferiority complex... maybe both.
smile.gif

If it were my dad, I would get a pair of speakers from Wally world and replace the fronts only. Sounds like your dad just likes a little background noise, mine too. Spend $50 or less and make him extra happy.

Btw as far as brands, I'd get whatever fits the truck and fits the budget. They will surely last long enough to outlast the truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Srt20
If it were my dad, I would get a pair of speakers from Wally world and replace the fronts only. Sounds like your dad just likes a little background noise, mine too. Spend $50 or less and make him extra happy.

Btw as far as brands, I'd get whatever fits the truck and fits the budget. They will surely last long enough to outlast the truck.

This is what I'd do. Why spend money on rear speakers if it won't matter to him?

Also, I'd definitely inspect the speakers before replacing. In an old Pontiac POS my gramma had when I was a teen, a couple of the speakers had become disconnected at the speaker. I had similar issues with the speakers in my first car, but they were aftermarket and the terminal tabs were paper thin for some reason.

Anyway, the blown speakers may be making noise that he can't here, but if they're making no noise then I'd at least do a cursory inspection. You might find that you can salvage one or two by simply restoring the connection.

Originally Posted By: razel

Just ignore... I had the same reaction. Clearly did not read your OP or has an inferiority complex... maybe both.
smile.gif

@Lolvoguy... I referenced the wrong quote. I didn't mean you.

My advice: Go to a car stereo store and listen to various speakers and then go online and save 50%. You'll spend more than $100..hahahahahahaha...but at least you wont arrive at your destination with a splitting head ach

did you even read the post ? this is my fathers hunting truck... its a 93 with four blown factory speakers.. and 3 of the four have been blown awhile.. of course he doesn't want to put $ into fancy speakers. I thought this would have been clear from the back story..

Check out Parts Express for automobile replacement speakers. Most of them are priced sensibly.

Q.

My advice: Go to a car stereo store and listen to various speakers and then go online and save 50%. You'll spend more than $100..hahahahahahaha...but at least you wont arrive at your destination with a splitting head ache.

If your reading skills were anywhere close to your snide snarkiness you would be quite intelligent. Pity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back