Dexos spec and warranty??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will running an oil that is recommended for use in a vehicle that requires Dexos spec'd, but is not officially licensed or Dexos tested void my GM Power train warranty if an issue arises?

Last edited:
Depends on the dealer. It goes both ways, but to play it safe I would use only Dexos and keep your receipts.

In the US, no, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act provides protection from voiding warranties unless the oil is proven to be the cause of a failure. In Canada, you need to check for warranty laws in Canada.

Why would you not run a DEXOS1 oil? They are easily available and not really more expensive?

Last edited:
I stick with the Dexos oils in my Chevy and in my parents newer Mopar which only requires dino as it seems like a good oil spec and the Penzoil or QS dexos is well priced for a synblend.

Why would you not run Dexos1 approved oil. There are lots of very high quality choices.

Why risk it, run the certified oil and your likely to not ever need the warranty.

The oil I use, I get because of a good value from my supplier. It states dexos1 standard, but is not on the "official" list. I never worried about it. For both my 2013 1500 and now my 2015 2500. No one ever seems to ask, and I just play dumb. Just as in dealing with law enforcement, one should never go around divulging too much information to the dealer. If there is a problem, they are required to do the leg work to prove that you messed things up. And most any oil that claims it meets dexos1 standards probably does. For the the folks who make the oil, they have to deal with legal litigation, Federal Trade Commission hassles, and a host of other problems. Not wise to put out a product that claims it meets the standard when it doesn't. That being said, I have confidence that the oil I use will be just fine. The company has been in the lube business longer than anyone in N.America, so I think they know what they are doing. Each of us has different comfort levels. If you only sleep well at night knowing the oil you put in is on the approved list, then that is a safe bet.

Originally Posted By: moklock
I stick with the Dexos oils in my Chevy and in my parents newer Mopar which only requires dino as it seems like a good oil spec and the Penzoil or QS dexos is well priced for a synblend.

The dexos1 spec is advanced, compared to SN-GF5. Only at least syn-blends can meet it. Better wear requirements, other performance too.
I'm amazed at how GM can run that dexos racket, extorting money per quart sale of oils too. The list of dexos1 oils is long now. GM pockets lots of $$$. I like specs like ACEA or LL-01 where you don't have to pay royalties to a car maker.

You say you won't give your money away to Amsoil but you will pay royalties to GM for their con game?
LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back