Kawasaki oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a kaw fh580v. Just repaired bent push rods and had head checked.

Anyone got an oil they recommend for it? Also any oil filter beside kaw brand that I could use??

I have a liquid cooled Kawasaki FD501V that i run Amsoil XL 5w-30 with Napa Gold filter.
If you don't use the engine in the winter i would go with their Amsoil Small engine oil SAE 10w-30 oil. THat probably would be the best IMO. NAPA GOLD/ WIX are great filters for the 100 hour OCI that Kawasaki has.
Just my .02 worth

Georgia with high temperatures, look toward something in the 40w realm like a Rotella 15w-40. I put that in my grandfather's JD 285 FD590V water cooled with 1400 hours on it. It got rebuilt at 1000 hours when the plastic cam gear failed like clockwork. It's not uncommon to see him out on a 100* day mowing the lawn.

I have a liquid cooled FD501v that I've owned since 1998 and have ran Supertech 30 wt HD in it since new. I run the NAPA Gold filter as well. I don't have an hour meter but feel like it probably has around 1600 hours on it and it runs like a top with no oil smoke on startup and never have to add oil between yearly oil changes.

Most Kawasaki engines take either 10w-30 or 10w-40 as their recommended oil. I use Delo-400 LE 5w-40 and love it. 5w-40 will work in almost any temperature range and provide good start up and cold wear protection as well as high temperature and hard use protection. Both Delo and Rotella also make 10w-30 HDEO oils that are very affordable and easy to find at Wal-Mart if you prefer a 10w-30.

I have a Kawasaki FD440V on my John Deere mower. This is a 2 cylinder V-twin, liquid cooled engine. The label on the side of my engine specifies monograde 30 for temperatures above 32ºF.

I notice that when using a multigrade oil that my rate of consumption is a consideration. I have to check and top-off the sump after every 3 hour mowing session which I don't need when using monograde oils. In my Georgia climate (metro ATL) I use monograde 30 and it has worked well for my application for the past 20 years on this engine (don't remember exact purchase date).

As for oil filters, I have determined that the OEM JohnDeere filter that came on the engine was a Canadian made Fram PH4967,, painted black. The disection of the OEM filter and the Fram reveals that they are identical in construction, form and function. This Fram filter is applicable to an early 1990's Geo Prizm I think. The Fram costs a few dollars at the local Wal-Mart while the JohnDeere filter cost $8.

This combination of oil grade and filter choice has served me well for twenty years and I will continue this regimen. BTW, how did you bend a pushrod?

Fowvay I bought it with the bent rods. Got a great deal on a scag zero turn because it was low on power. Tore it down when I got home realized rods were bent. Took the head off Also to have it inspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back