Microwave ovens never last more than 6 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
microwave itself never dies, the other stuff breaks,
I have a GE counter top and the door switch broke.

There were 3 door switches, of 2 different types.

2 off by default
1 off on by default
(or opposite)
anyway, as a safety feature when one of these dies, the microwave stops working.

I bought the part from online parts place for $2, shipping cost me more, so I bought 5 of them.

the problem is most of the switches are designed to last n # of cycles.

My over stove unit has a built in hood and fan, if it blows as long as the stove hood works I'll be happy.

I have a 1980 Kenmore (not for over a range) that I use almost daily. The only things I have had to replace on it have been a light bulb and one fuse. I'm not sure there are many newer microwaves that will do that anymore.

The one in our has has been here since it was built (12+ years ago) still works, although it does make some odd humming noises now and then.

Our counter top MW has been sitting and working just fine for at least 25 years now. I bought it new for less than $50. bucks.

Use a Maytag (LG rebrand) overhead at the house that is 8 yrs old still works great. I think Amana (whose overheads are Korean last time I saw) is still the best. Might not be anymore but the Radarange micros were the first and still usually last.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I'd worry about the seals going on such an old microwave. How long do you really want them to last 5-6 years sounds about right for about how long they're designed to last. What do you want for $100-$200?

Above the range models are at least 450$ for even the cheapest models of any major brand.

I'd expect at least 9 years possibly 10. The fact that older models work perfectly for decades and were not priced outrageously it should not be an issue.

Im om 11 years with my GE and it was $900 (reduced 30%) when we bought it. I expect it to last. IMHO i is a durable good....mine is above the oven but all that means is I had to run a home run electric line and buy a overpriced trim kit.

My grandma has an 1982 thats 650w with a built in convection oven. I recently moved it to the basement replaced with the 1991 panasonic 800w 900w? model she was storing downstairs... at least that one has a turntable.

The 1982 Montgomery Ward combo oven, yes its really big.. could get a small turkey in there easily
2014-11-27.jpg

the 1991 Panasonic with turntable.
2014-11-27%281%29.jpg

My Dad has a 80's Magic Chef that he still uses daily.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I'd worry about the seals going on such an old microwave. How long do you really want them to last 5-6 years sounds about right for about how long they're designed to last. What do you want for $100-$200?

My Litton is close to 30 years old & works perfectly.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
The over the range units seem to have noticeably lower lifespans than countertop units. I'm wondering if that's not due to all the heat.

Everyone i have known that needed to replace a microwave had an over the stove unit. I've never had an on the counter microwave fail.

The one in my parts department was old and on its last legs when I started 8 years ago. We still use it everyday.

The one in my house is at least 20 years old and still plugs away.

Scary moment, I was at a hotel earlier this year and the glass turntable exploded while cooking bacon. I called the front desk and they acted like it was normal....

Every appliance these days are engineered to last under 10 years it seems. Before i was born my parents bought a refrigerator that worked great when we sold the house when i was 30, it was in the basement used as a second refrigerator and it was always ice cold. It was built like a tank. It was a philco and according to my old neighbor it was still there in 2007

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Every appliance these days are engineered to last under 10 years it seems. Before i was born my parents bought a refrigerator that worked great when we sold the house when i was 30, it was in the basement used as a second refrigerator and it was always ice cold. It was built like a tank. It was a philco and according to my old neighbor it was still there in 2007

In the case of refrigerators, having it last a long time is a false economy. They've gotten more energy efficient every few years such that if it had been replaced, it probably would have saved multiple times what the refrigerator cost in electricity. For instance, a refrigerator from the 80's would probably use about 5 times more electricity than a new one. A new one would pay for itself in just 2 or 3 years just from the electricity savings.

IIRC, the Whirlpool we have is ~13 years old and it works fine. It isn't anything high end, just a plain microwave with a few programmed settings. I just wish it was black instead of white so it doesn't look so dirty after all these years even though it gets cleaned often.

In December 2010 I replaced a Litton Generation II oven which lasted 22 years. Probably was a mistake too as it might've been just a door fuse. Bought a GE inverter oven but it was total junk after only 2 years. No more inverters for me. Then bought this Amana: http://tinyurl.com/cr2zppm and it has been great so far. Hoping it lasts a long time, not anxious to buy another consumer-grade unit.

There are three in my family all bought as a gift from wifes grandpa when they were fairly new to the market in the mid 80"s. All three still working, cant recall the brand right now maybe Quasar.

I bought a daewoo on Black Friday 2000 for $29 and it's still working perfectly.

32.gif
It comes with the "just start cooking now" one-button mode they all should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back