Is this safe on automotive door seals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it is because I applied it to all door seals this afternoon on my Accord. The front two doors have been making some racket when turning or going over uneven pavement, it sounded like the seals rubbing against each other as the car flexed. I applied it this afternoon, they are more supple than before but still have a layer of grease on them. Anyway, is this product safe? I was going to by the OEM Honda grease but it was $18! Yikes! What say you all?
Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-Synthetic-Syncolon-Lubricant/dp/B000XBH9HI

Probably fine, but anything with propellants will just dry rubber out even more
.BTW, you must have the most pristine 2006 Accord in the free world.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Probably fine, but anything with propellants will just dry rubber out even more
.BTW, you must have the most pristine 2006 Accord in the free world.

What made you come to that conclusion? I think its better than average but its not pristine. Good shape though, yes.

I normally just use silicon spray, or even WD40. Grease is fine, door seal rubber isn't anything special, but I'd be concerned with grease getting on clothes as people got in and out.

Originally Posted By: redhat
I would've used silicone paste or dielectric grease.

What is harmful in what I used?

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant and am very happy with it. My seals had been turning gray'ish, I used the 303 on it and they look like new. No more freezing shut in the winters, they function like new.

My 31 year old Honda in the sig below gets soap and water on the door seals. They're like new. I have no idea why I'd use anything else. I know there's been nothing else because I'm the original owner.

Originally Posted By: redhat
I would've used silicone paste or dielectric grease.

I would have done the same. I actually splurged on Honda's Shin Etsu stuff and while it's nice, I don't know it to be different than dielectric grease. Just put it on thin.

Here's the MSDS of the Super Lube stuff: http://www.super-lube.com/files/pdfs/SDS_Super Lube Multi-Purpose Grease w PTFE_EN_sds.pdf

Only thing I could think of is the petroleum based mineral oil that could affect the seals. I wouldn't worry a bit at all though.

You should not have used that. The proper lubricant is silicone grease or spray. Dielectric grease works too as well as plain ol' Armor All. Of course everyone will tell you what they use by brand name because it's the "best".

I use Wurth Silicone in the tube.

You need to apply on a hot Summer day, it is really thick.

But it lasts 5 YEARS between applications.

Also, I like that you have a high quality caliper guide (slider) pin grease in your toolbox that you can trust.

Also works amazing on Coil Pack boots, and I haven't found anything better on Battery Terminals. When it gets really hot under the hood in the Summer and the engine is hot, this stuff refuses to run off of the Battery Posts.

The point is, you have to TRUST the product because damage may happen long after application.

You could also purchase a high quality Silicone "personal" lubricant off of Amazon and that is really user friendly to use on only door seals.

I steer clear of silicone sprays, I worry that it will melt seals as they always mention petroleum on the ingredients.

Also, a spray doesn't last very long at all.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I hope it is because I applied it to all door seals this afternoon on my Accord. The front two doors have been making some racket when turning or going over uneven pavement, it sounded like the seals rubbing against each other as the car flexed. I applied it this afternoon, they are more supple than before but still have a layer of grease on them. Anyway, is this product safe? I was going to by the OEM Honda grease but it was $18! Yikes! What say you all?
Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-Synthetic-Syncolon-Lubricant/dp/B000XBH9HI

Should be totally safe. I believe it's listed as compatible with edpm. My truck had the worst weather stripping squeak that didn't go away with 303, meguiars m40, vacuuming various silicone sprays (applied to rag and wiped on) but was finally solved using silicone grease (motorcraft xg3a).

How does the superlube seem to be working for you? Did it absorb? Solve any noise issues?

Originally Posted By: buck91
Originally Posted By: gregk24

Should be totally safe. I believe it's listed as compatible with edpm. My truck had the worst weather stripping squeak that didn't go away with 303, meguiars m40, vacuuming various silicone sprays (applied to rag and wiped on) but was finally solved using silicone grease (motorcraft xg3a).

How does the superlube seem to be working for you? Did it absorb? Solve any noise issues?

I just applied it last night, so when driving to work to day I will see if there is any difference.

I wish I could get a tube of the Honda stuff for that cheap. The dealers here want $40 and it costs even more with shipping from the states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back