anyone scared riding roller coasters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GF and I are planning a trip to visit some friends next weekend. We will only be there for 1 full day and will be at an amusement park packed full of large roller coasters. I do not like them, and have never been on one before, but I would like to conquer the fear, any tips? I usually have very high anxiety levels before getting on rides.

Start on the kiddie rides ................ well, at least the small ones, and work your way up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RyanCreasia
What exactly is it that you are afraid of? Can you pinpoint it?

Hmmm, I really don't like the feeling of dropping, and the waiting in line before the drop is killer. Makes me get sweaty and twists my stomach in a big knot!

The greatest velocity is going to be in the last car, the least will be in the first car. So perversely those that hate them end up sitting in the last car and those that love them sit in the first one. The first car will be going slower going down and the last car will be at the faster speed going down.

I have to ask. How can the cars be going different speeds since they are all bolted together? I don't have a problem with coasters,its deep water I don't like. Maybe start off with the log ride?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
The greatest velocity is going to be in the last car, the least will be in the first car. So perversely those that hate them end up sitting in the last car and those that love them sit in the first one. The first car will be going slower going down and the last car will be at the faster speed going down.

http://jacobsphysics.blogspot.com/2011/01/do-you-go-faster-if-you-ride-in-back.html

"If the back car did go faster, then it would end up going through the cars in front of it. That doesn't happen."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: RyanCreasia
What exactly is it that you are afraid of? Can you pinpoint it?

Hmmm, I really don't like the feeling of dropping, and the waiting in line before the drop is killer. Makes me get sweaty and twists my stomach in a big knot!

Ride one that goes forward, then backward...
smile.gif

http://science.howstuffworks.com/engineering/structural/roller-coaster.htm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I do not like them, and have never been on one before, but I would like to conquer the fear, any tips? I usually have very high anxiety levels before getting on rides.

I just have 2-3 drinks before hand and scream alot
cry.gif

The clicking on the way up is the absolute worst. The drop is the second worst. After that it's quite fun.

My rule is i only ride ones with a proper lap bar and something to hold on to, or a harness type. I will not ride any that only has a lap bar, i don't like feeling like im going to fall out during a drop. The diamondback at King's Island is like this and i refuse to ride that one again, i don't feel secure on that one at all.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

So if I ride in the last car, the ride will be shorter?
<eyeroll

I've ridden on some really big ones, and I get pretty nervous too but I always end up alive afterwards lol.

It runs through your head how frightening it is mostly on the way up, but I always try to think "this ride has been ridden a million times and nobody has died yet, I'll be fine"

Being afraid (somewhat) is the fun part. You should have a little anxiety and adrenaline pumping. Then scream like heck and you'll find it enjoyable
smile.gif

I have the same fear. I do not care for the drop at all, but in the end i find it exhilarating. You just have to get over the hump.

It sounds weird, but I find the more you fight it and try to hold yourself in your seat, the worse it feels. If you just relax and let your body weight naturally press against the restraints as the force moves you around, you don't really feel much just the force and speed of going fast.

I'll usually go a few years without riding them b/c I'm not near an amusement park, and then the first time I ride one I'll usually be gripping the bar trying to hold myself in place at first. Then after getting that out of my system, I relax and don't grip as tightly, I just have my hand lightly on the bar, and the ride feels so much more tame. You just feel the force of accelerating more than anything else.

The apprehension before the ride is all a part of the process. It's perfectly normal. Just go with it, relax, and enjoy! It really is a mind over matter thing.
smile.gif

Make sure to go roller coaster riding with a full stomach. A couple beers help too. And make sure to sit up front.

Avoid salty, fatty foods prior to ride. You can always take Dramamine for safe measure.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Make sure to go roller coaster riding with a full stomach. A couple beers help too.

Can we put you in the car behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back