Anyone still using uniroyal tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uniroyal of Europe, a different company from the US one, and owned by Continental, produce some really great tyres over here. Their ReinEzpert and RainSport range are great for coldish, rainy climates without snow. I actually recommended it to a Canadian without realising that NA Uniroyal is completely different company.

Tiger Paw Touring on wife's HHR. Don't run them in winter. A nice, hard wearing tire. Decent ride and traction, we don't push them hard. A nice tire for someone who doesn't care about tires.

Even better, they sell them at walmart, so you can accidentally get a pretty good tire from a crummy store.

I had a set of tiger paws that came on a used car, installed new by the dealer. one was over 1/8" out of round, visible to the naked eye when spun against a guide. It was obviosuly impossible to just "balance out."

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I did not have good luck with Continentals but that was quite a while back.

If you want a high value, great performing bang for the buck tire I'd suggest Generals. All I have bought the last several years are Generals, 14 straight now, and I have no plans to change.

I agree! I really like my Generals but you do know Continental owns them right?

Try this test, get one Uniroyal tire and one Michelin and lay each tire on its side-- now step on its sidewall and see which one collapses easily. Make sure the tires are of same size passenger tires.

In another lifetime, Uniroyal tires were call the tennis-shoe tire company, that might have change now.

I don't see us buying any more Uniroyals ... Two different tires cracked in the same spots. With sidewalls bubbling. Apparently being stored for the winter was just too much for them.

tefeNbE.jpg

1kzwZEG.jpg

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Continental PURECONTACT is where the magic is

Loving my PureContacts, but only about 5K miles to report so far.

My Uniroyal experience is too old to matter.

It seems to me that anyone experiencing rapid wear with two sets of tires in a row should start looking carefully at their undercarriage.

The new ones would have to have good ratings while being exceptionally cheap for me to even consider them again. They were OE on the Tracker and were not good. Squealed in parking lot maneuvers, bubbly sidewalls, low wet grip. They wore like iron and were quiet, so maybe they would be a decent cheap tire for somewhere that doesn't rain.

I put a set of Tiger Paw touring on my Chevy Cruze on recommendation of my local tire dealer. I was skeptical but he told me most customers are satisfied with them . Tires were road forced balance with very little weight and one even came up balanced with no weight added. I was surprised and skeptical but car road great no vibration and tracked very straight. Much better than stock. 25000 now on Uniroyals and 8/32 of tread left. Tires now 1 year later still as smooth as when new and very quiet. Don't believe all the negative hype. Many bad reviews of any brand have a lot to do from improper matching tires to rim and balancing.

Last edited:
Uniroyal is now owned by Michelin. I doubt they sell junk, even if it's last year's Michelin with a UniRoyal stamp on the sidewall. I bought two in 205 60 15 at a killer price seveal years ago and they wear very well and provide good lousy weather grip. They were made somewhere in the Far East.

The brand name Uniroyal covers a bunch of different tires.
Some posters in this thread report bad experience with this brand while others report this brand of tire to have worked really well.
This is true of every brand. I've had some sets of tires of a French brand of which you may have heard that weren't all that and a bag of potato chips and others that were really good, for example.
If the Subie guy is recommending Uniroyal tires, find out exactly what model he's recommending.
Assuming that selling these tires isn't a sideline of the dealer's shop, he's probably giving you good advice.
It'll never hurt you to try something different.
If it ends up that they suck, then you'll know not to buy them again or to take tire advice from a Subie parts guy.
If they turn out to be really good, then you'll have found a value priced tire that you can buy with assurance of good performance.

Uniroyal has been around a long, long time (late 1800's), shortly before Goodyear. They began as the US Rubber Company. The Tiger Paw tire has been their flagship since the 1960's. I had a set (4) of Uniroyal's in the early 1990's. Wore them down until they had steel showing. Never a problem, quiet, smooth, reliable ride (wet, dry, or snow).

They're made for traction, and normal driving. Don't expect a fuel efficient or sporty tire. Just an all around solid tire that wears well.

Last edited:
when I purchased my car it had new Tigerpaw GTZ's on it from the dealer because that's probably the least expensive tire that fit. They're not terrible or dangerous, but they don't really excel at anything. I've put almost 30k on them with regular 7500mi rotations and they're just about ready to retire at 3-4/10ths. So, basically it's a high performance all-season tire that handles like a touring tire and wears like an UHP summer tire. Meh.

I'm planning on climbing up the Michelin hierarchy to a set of BFG Comp-2 A/S, which should be a marked improvement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I assume anyone who chooses Uniroyal these days doesn't know much about cars or tires.

Uninroyal Tiger Paw Touring on my Oldsmobile for 1.5 years now, and they have been doing fine. Ride smooth with minimal noise. Still look new. I don't claim to know everything, but when I see B.S. statements like this I am going to call it what it is...B.S.

I bought four tiger paws two years ago. I was very limited with my choices due to the size I needed(215/70/14). They have performed well, wearing good and no cracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back