Here to repent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty good about changing my oil in my cars and bikes, but honestly I never thought twice about my small engines like blowers and mowers. I started feeling a little guilty that I literally did zero maintenance since new. Zero. So I decided to change the oil in my Troy Bilt leaf blower after like 5 years (factory fill). All 3 ounces of it. Man oh man, black as tar and nearly the same consistency. I'd dab some on my figertips and when I pulled them away it would create those "strings". Frightening. So I filled it up with new oil, ran for a few, dumped it (very dark), repeated (a bit better), and refilled with 5w30 syn to run into the summer. Seems pretty happy now, and revs a lot more freely.

Cleaned the air filter too.

Anyhow, just scraping off some guilt. That poor thing, but it hung in there and seems to work fine.

You should be remorseful. I was thinking of changing the oil in my vehicle this morning. I am still thinking about it.

I did the mower right after. It was fine since it was pretty new, only had maybe 5 hours on it. I dumped the oil anyway, it still looked good. Good Honda engine, I'd like to keep it that way.

Hopefully the leaf blower will de-sludge and get some long life.

Last edited:
My dad is the same way. He has never changed the oil on his lawnmower. Its been on the same fill for probably 5 years. I keep offering to change it for him once he runs it out of gas so I can tip it sideways (Honda motor), but he's too stubborn to let me do it for him.

You changed it just in time most likely, I've noted a lot of people make it about 5 years or so with no maintenance before sometimes locking up the engine. I used to be a lawn and garden salesman at sears.

It's probably a good practice to do a quick drain and fill on everything you neglected to get as much of the old oxidized oil out as possible, making sure that you reach operating temperature if possible.

Brother, I know where you're at. Years ago, I would change the oil in my mower, but never bother checking it. It was mid season, the mower was overdue for it's oil change, but the grass needed cutting. I pushed on, neglecting to even check the oil. Half way through mowing the yard, the mower's engine slowed, and slowed and finally stopped. Then I checked the oil... When I removed the cap all the crankcase offered up was a wisp of smoke. I knew I had a problem. When I pulled the recoil starter, it wouldn't budge. Seized motor. I was being punished for my neglect.

I'm much more faithful about checking my oil now. I'm a changed man.

Yeah I figure I dodged a bullet for the most part. With the oil capacity in the blower being 3 whole oz I figure I'll do a few short interval changes which should clean things up inside.

I too am a changed man.

My neighbor, on my advice went to change the oil in his new portable generator after roughly 20 hrs. He claimed he drained it over night and didn't get back to it the next day, or the next...or the next.
Next power outage he was eiger to yank that cord. Needless to say he quickly remembered the unfinished o/c and went for the kill switch but it was too late.

We got a small generator a couple of years ago. The first time I needed it I ran on and off for a day, about a total of 7 hours. Then I read the manual, first oil change should be after 5 hours, oops, but not too bad. The oil that came out looked absolutely awful, brown, dark streaks, nasty. When they say to change the oil after only a short period, they mean it.

Our yard vac never needs changed because it consumes so much I just keep it topped off.

Regardless of how you neglected your engines, I am betting theyll be in service for quite some time yet. They are pretty tough.

A co-worker offered me his "junk mowers". With them came a generator they seized up during hurricane Gustave. The oil had burned off and never was checked. It's made by Dayton with an old 5 hp flat head Briggs on it. Probably about 2500 watts or so. I poured some used ATF and a little MMO in the spark plug hole. Soaked it over night. Gently worked it loose with a pry bar in flywheel and freed it up. Don't know how long it will last but I got it running only shelling out for the air filter. (don't tell him I got it got it going, he'll want It back)

Ehh, don't feel bad. There is the worm gear on my Ariens tiller that I asked my grandfather when the last time he changed the oil in it. He responded with, "It needs oil?". Yeah, so it was in there for 40+ years and was mixture of sludge and dirt.

awesome. "share your feelings with the group."
smile.gif

bitog rocks

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I keep offering to change it for him once he runs it out of gas so I can tip it sideways (Honda motor), but he's too stubborn to let me do it for him.

You can change the oil with a full fuel tank as well. The fuel cap is on the left side of the engine and the oil dip stick is on the right side. Just tip it over, let the oil drain out, and re-fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back