Fiat+GM =

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gm won't let it happen. Too many issues with FCA.

But, won't be surprised if someone tries to take over GM in a buyout in the next five years or so....

I can see GM buying chunks; say, Jeep, it's not like Jeep hasn't been passed down and sold around before! Also that's the way GM was formed.

I can also see technical cooperation, like the AMC Pacer/GM Wankel engine (look how great that turned out!) Or Honda 3.5L's in the Saturn Vue, etc.

Another avenue is badge engineering, like GM has done with, oh, just about everyone, Isuzu, Suzuki, Honda, Daewoo, Daihatsu, Toyota, etc., etc.

But a complete merger or buyout? Not worth the anti-trust battle just to win market share. Sooner or later FIAT will dump Chrysler on the next hopeful investor(s). Making it appear that GM is interested might raise interest from other potential suitors.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I can see GM buying chunks; say, Jeep, it's not like Jeep hasn't been passed down and sold around before! Also that's the way GM was formed.

I can also see technical cooperation, like the AMC Pacer/GM Wankel engine (look how great that turned out!) Or Honda 3.5L's in the Saturn Vue, etc.

Another avenue is badge engineering, like GM has done with, oh, just about everyone, Isuzu, Suzuki, Honda, Daewoo, Daihatsu, Toyota, etc., etc.

But a complete merger or buyout? Not worth the anti-trust battle just to win market share. Sooner or later FIAT will dump Chrysler on the next hopeful investor(s). Making it appear that GM is interested might raise interest from other potential suitors.

Maybe GM will buy Chrysler from Fiat.......And the Dodge bros will spin in their graves.

Chrysler - Fiat owns Jeep. It's profitable. Why would they sell it? If it's not a troll it's a woefully uninformed post.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, GM had invested in Fiat several years ago and ended up LOSING on the deal (as usual)....If they tried again I'd sell their stock if I owned it....

GM had an agreement to merge with Fiat that required that GM pay Fiat for the priviledge of walking away, which GM did about a decade ago.
This was probably the best two billion dollars GM ever spent.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Chrysler - Fiat owns Jeep. It's profitable. Why would they sell it? If it's not a troll it's a woefully uninformed post.

Nissan Xterra Production to End After 2015, This essentially marks the death of the "serious off-roader not named Wrangler" segment.

Last edited:
If Fiat bought GM, I'd never consider another domestic vehicle again. If GM bought Fiat, it would be the best thing that ever happened to them.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Nissan Xterra Production to End After 2015, This essentially marks the death of the "serious off-roader not named Wrangler" segment.

As if anyone that bought one of those ever took it on anything shadier than a gravel road.

Last edited:

That will become an underserved part of the market for the half dozen or so people each year who buy a new vehicle with the intent of subjecting it to serious off-road use.
For a fraction of the cost of a new Wrangler or Xterra, any serious off-roader knows how to build something better for the purpose and will continue doing so.

Pablum!

If you ignore the G wagon and Toyota Land Cruiser.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Pablum!

Baby food?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablum

Chrysler is in a good position under Fiat and has a CEO who is really behind the Chrysler portfolio, so I doubt they are in a buying or selling mood for the near future.

GM needs to just keep focus on there own business right now. The products are good but many could still be better, just like Chrysler.

Hopefully they remember from the 80s-90s that all those other ventures they bought into only created numerous OK products that often competed with their own products instead of fewer but better ones.

I don't think any venture would be into the US markets. I think they are looking into Europe and China. Marchionne likes to stir things up every few months.

First I'll say that I am partial to GM, but I do give credit to FCA for keeping RWD cars alive and well, building a 700HP family sedan, bringing back the pony car war, putting 8/9 speed automatics in vehicles and a small diesel engine in the RAM. FCA takes risks, and make some people happy with breaking the mold. Like Toyota, GM tweeks the vanilla pudding here and there and calls it groundbreaking.

Powertrain wise, GM all the way. FCA powertrains seem overly complicated/trouble prone for the rewards they offer. Dodge/Chrysler interiors are superb, as some of their exterior designs are beautiful. To me, the 2016 Malibu looks like a Chrysler 200 with a different grill and the powertrain looks to copy the Ford Fusion tiny turbos. If you can't beat them, copy them. I thought GM could do better than that?

FCA knew Jeep would save the company and look at the current sales numbers. Wow.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Isn't a G wagon like six figures?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

And the 4Runner, and the Tacoma, and the FJ Cruiser!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back