Firefox vs. Chrome Display Sharpness

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't necessarily a which-is-better thread, but have others noticed that Firefox looks "crisper" or "sharper" on the same display vs. Chrome? I have Firefox 37 and Chrome 42, and use both somewhat interchangeably. Everything in Chrome looks just a touch "fuzzy" compared to Firefox (and yes, on the same display with the same display settings).

Are my eyes fooling me?

100 years ago (well, 1997) Opera triggered 16-bit mode in my graphics card while Netscape Naggivator ran in 8-bit mode. Paint Shop Pro also ran in 16-bit. This made things obviously better.

I use both but I don't notice much difference between the two looks wise. Chrome's very clunky to use so I only use it when I have to.

I believe Firefox (and IE11) use the newer Windows 2D drawing API (DirectWrite). A consequence of this is different text rendering which to my eyes looks better. This could be what you're seeing.

People differ on how fonts should look. Some like smooth fonts while others like them sharp. You can download free apps from the Chrome Webstore to change the appearance of fonts. Look up Font Rendering Enhancer for Chrome and another app called Smooth Fonts.

I have used both Firefox and Google Chrome over the years and like the security features and sandbox features of Google Chrome.

Am using the extension "Font Changer" for Chrome and it works well.

Thanks, guys. I'll look into the extensions on Chrome. I use (and love) Chrome on many different devices, and that cross functionality is one of its biggest assets to me. But Firefox does look quite a bit better to my eyes in terms of display sharpness. Maybe it is just the text rendering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back