Thinner oils and higher wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,

Pontual - Whilst it’s true that some Centrifuge filtration systems perform better than others, all are a quantum leap forward over a full flow filter in maintaining engine lubricant condition via the removal on contaminants. They are also demonstrably better than the normal barrier type by-pass filtration system at the same task.

It can be said that any by-pass system will better maintain engine lubricant condition than a normal full flow filtration system. However the end result comes at a cost and for most end users (especially non Commercial car users) the cost over benefit ratio simply doesn’t stack up

I first became a fan of by-pass systems in Commercial equipment – namely in Earthmoving and in Heavy trucks during Testing in the 1960s and later on in small Japanese high speed diesel engines on Reefer Units on Semis

My first exposure to Centrifuge systems on cars was on some Simca engines during the 1960s too In the case of the Simca car engines the Centrifuge was crankshaft mounted and prone to lack of servicing once the vehicle left the Simca service network. I’ve seen these devices clogged rock hard with debris rendering them totally ineffective at that point

Other Euro engines also used various types of Centrifuge lubricant conditioners as well – mostly on diesel engines. Some of these engines were pre combustion chamber types

In my own case I used Mann-Hummel Centrifuge units on my Detroit Series 60 powered vehicles. This was over millions of Kms in all sorts of climatic conditions. In the final configuration I dispensed with the synthetic media barrier FF filters and used 45 Micron SS cleanable screen inserts instead

In various Tests via SAE and OEMs it has been shown that the rate of depletion of the additive package was lower in engines fitted with a Centrifuge. Of course this is typically because the contaminants are removed very quickly allowing the detergent additives (depending on formulation) to function longer

Some practical facts;

Typical Test results follow:
Particle (metallic wear metals) size in Microns/%

15% 0.25-0.5/25% 0.5-1/30% 1-2/16% 2-3/6% 3-5/4% 5-10/2% >10/2%

So around 90% or so of the particles were less than 2 Microns

My vehicle’s results (using Mobil and Castrol Labs) showed no unusual additive depletion due to the Centrifuge
OCIs averaged 90050kms

TAN at OCI = 6.67

TBN at OCI = 2.64

In all other such Field Testing on various engine Families the results of the TAN/TBN “balance” were much the same

So IMO based on considerable Field Testing and Lab results and other practical experience there is no evidence of any abnormal additive depletion due to the operation of a Centrifuge

Now THAT's evidence. Always liked the idea of centrifugal filtration.

Fiat 124 had one but unfortunately it didn't carry-over into my Lada when they copied the design. Perhaps the Russians wouldn't have cleaned it.

Small Honda motorcycle engines (eg CG125, commonly cloned here) have them as well, but hardly anybody cleans them either.

Librizol - Low Viscosity SAE 16 Oils Wi...Wear Challenges

Quote:
While GF-6A oils (i.e., SAE 0W-20) will incorporate all the measures of protection required for use in gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines, along with other innovative automotive technologies that haven’t yet reached the market, it will be backwards compatible with all applications currently approved for GF-5. As a result, the viscosity of these oils will be low but not so low that they can’t protect against wear and corrosion in older engines.

GF-6B, on the other hand, forgoes the requirement to be backwards compatible with GF-5 applications and opens the door for the development of ultra-low viscosity lubricants (i.e., SAE 16) that will push the industry into areas of formulation that have never before been encountered. These lubricants will produce significant fuel economy benefits for many engine applications, but because of their low viscosity grade, there is the potential for wear or other durability related issues.

Last edited:
when we rebuild an engine we use the oil recommended for the application.. We are now dealing with a courier company with mostly ford vans and pickups and most with the 4.6 or 5.4 v8 these engines go 350,000+ when they come here its usually because they were overheated. The mechanics at their maintenance shop are very strict about oil changes at the 5000 mile mark which comes pretty fast because they are used day and night most of the time. They use 5w20 in the winter and sometimes 5w30 in the summer and they get long service out of these engines. They use whatever bulk oil they send them and always a motorcraft filter.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Librizol - Low Viscosity SAE 16 Oils Wi...Wear Challenges

Quote:
While GF-6A oils (i.e., SAE 0W-20) will incorporate all the measures of protection required for use in gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines, along with other innovative automotive technologies that haven’t yet reached the market, it will be backwards compatible with all applications currently approved for GF-5. As a result, the viscosity of these oils will be low but not so low that they can’t protect against wear and corrosion in older engines.

GF-6B, on the other hand, forgoes the requirement to be backwards compatible with GF-5 applications and opens the door for the development of ultra-low viscosity lubricants (i.e., SAE 16) that will push the industry into areas of formulation that have never before been encountered. These lubricants will produce significant fuel economy benefits for many engine applications, but because of their low viscosity grade, there is the potential for wear or other durability related issues.

Yes, but (from your same link):

Quote:
“While it is generally accepted that lower viscosity brings an improvement in fuel economy performance, it can have a negative impact on durability; the protective oil film is less robust, or under the most extreme loading conditions, non-existent. In terms of performance requirements, this translates to a set of standards that will ensure fuel economy is improved via lower viscosity, but durability will not be compromised. The future proposed ultra-low viscosity GF-6B specification requires the same durability performance as the proposed GF-6A. This may require enhanced fortification of specific additive components or a different formulation shape to deliver the required durability in SAE XW-16 fluids.”

Last edited:

My first exposure to Centrifuge systems on cars was on some Simca engines during the 1960s too In the case of the Simca car engines the Centrifuge was crankshaft mounted and prone to lack of servicing once the vehicle left the Simca service network. I’ve seen these devices clogged rock hard with debris rendering them totally ineffective at that point

Another was the Fiat 500 (Bambina in NZ), never saw anyone open the filter on those. The British motorcycle twins (Triumph, BSA) used a centrifical filter in the crankshaft (the sludge trap) and many an engine has met it's end from a blocked sludge trap. Just a gauze filter, but the bigend shells didn't look scored on most I pulled apart. They ran on non detergent oils, so additives falling out wouldn't be a problem. I have a couple of bikes with centrifical filters (Honda TLR200 and Moto Guzzi Stoenello) but both have ball and roller bottom ends - I seen a lot of metal debris in Honda's I service.

Here is the rub:

Quote:
Formally labeled as SAE 16, the new oil specification will help OEMs meet increasingly strict corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) requirements. However, ultra-low viscosity grade oils can create durability challenges.

If you read the rest, it also says that GF-6B will have the same durability requirements as GF-6A. Durability challenges does not mean "these oils don't protect engines." It means that formulating them presents challenges.

Hi,

Pontual - Whilst it’s true that some Centrifuge filtration systems perform better than others, all are a quantum leap forward over a full flow filter in maintaining engine lubricant condition via the removal on contaminants. They are also demonstrably better than the normal barrier type by-pass filtration system at the same task.

It can be said that any by-pass system will better maintain engine lubricant condition than a normal full flow filtration system. However the end result comes at a cost and for most end users (especially non Commercial car users) the cost over benefit ratio simply doesn’t stack up

I first became a fan of by-pass systems in Commercial equipment – namely in Earthmoving and in Heavy trucks during Testing in the 1960s and later on in small Japanese high speed diesel engines on Reefer Units on Semis

Other Euro engines also used various types of Centrifuge lubricant conditioners as well – mostly on diesel engines. Some of these engines were pre combustion chamber types

In my own case I used Mann-Hummel Centrifuge units on my Detroit Series 60 powered vehicles. This was over millions of Kms in all sorts of climatic conditions. In the final configuration I dispensed with the synthetic media barrier FF filters and used 45 Micron SS cleanable screen inserts instead

In various Tests via SAE and OEMs it has been shown that the rate of depletion of the additive package was lower in engines fitted with a Centrifuge. Of course this is typically because the contaminants are removed very quickly allowing the detergent additives (depending on formulation) to function longer

Some practical facts;

My vehicle’s results (using Mobil and Castrol Labs) showed no unusual additive depletion due to the Centrifuge
OCIs averaged 90050kms

TAN at OCI = 6.67

TBN at OCI = 2.64

In all other such Field Testing on various engine Families the results of the TAN/TBN “balance” were much the same

So IMO based on considerable Field Testing and Lab results and other practical experience there is no evidence of any abnormal additive depletion due to the operation of a Centrifuge

Ok, you tested centrifuges in a Simca Chambord in the 60's (did you used at least an additivated oil? Like Heavy duty oil, if existent?) and in a Diesel, with very low rpms ...

Lab results?

So say that you should agitate the bottle because gravity would settle the additves to the bottom of it, Imagine in a centrifuge at sustained 6k+ rpms ...

Never heard of a sports bike high revver, with a centrifuge filter. Coincidence?

That's not good evidence to me, sorry.

Last edited:

I had one of those centrifuge filters, on a Fiat 850. It was about half full, and in a box with all the other parts when I bought the car. Not easy to clean. I seem to recollect some time spent with a small hammer and a chisel.....

My assessment was that most of the hard stuff in the filter was lead, from the gasoline of the day.

I added a full flow remote filter can when I put the motor together. I cleaned the centrifugal filter every other oil change, but since it was running on unleaded fuel by then, not much showed up in the filter (The oil went through the remote filter first.)

Anyway, it did do its job, though I suspect you are correct in that people did not service them......Most people had no idea they were even installed!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Your statements about (thiner) viscosity and therefore improved fuel efficiency are readable the same as.... as toughts of those americans who says that they must buy SUV that they will be safer on road...stupidity here is the same
smile.gif

You will simply achive the same with smaller cars (less weight produce less fuel comsumption)....with more efficient and smaler (twin) turbo engines (less fuel again)...etc etc

Etc, etc, sure ... we're stupid, etc, etc, YOU'RE STUPiD, etc, etc...

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Hi,

Some practical facts;

OCIs averaged 90050kms

TAN at OCI = 6.67

TBN at OCI = 2.64

Ok, you tested centrifuges in a Simca Chambord in the 60's (did you used at least an additivated oil? Like Heavy duty oil, if existent?) and in a Diesel, with very low rpms ...

Lab results?

So say that you should agitate the bottle because gravity would settle the additves to the bottom of it, Imagine in a centrifuge at sustained 6k+ rpms ...

Never heard of a sports bike high revver, with a centrifuge filter. Coincidence?

That's not good evidence to me, sorry.

I think you need to go back and re-read Doug's post if that's all you took away from it.

No, I don't think I need. Because if it takes tetrahethyl lead from the oil (and that's easy to spot by visual inspection), that's enough for me to confirm my statements.

Last edited:
No, I don't think I need. Because if it takes tetrahethyl lead from the oil (and that's easy to spot by visual inspection), that's enough for me to confirm my statments.

Obviously you don't have any exposure to small aircraft running leaded AvGas.

Listen, you are more than welcome to believe what you want. But Doug Hillary literally ran centrifuges for millions of Kilometers WITH TEAR DOWNS AND UOA's when he was testing Delvac 1 5w-40 for ExxonMobil in the Australian outback. That's more experience with those particular products than everybody else on this site put together.

So you can poo poo Doug's data if you want to because it doesn't jive with whatever preconceived notion you are rocking here, but if that's the case you aren't going to get much out of this forum either.

I'm not trying to answer for Doug, but potential additive fallout in the bottle would be at room temperature or lower, and with no agitation of the oil. That's certainly not what's experienced in an engine.

GemStater, from basic physics, higher viscosity oils create more internal engine drag (friction), and that friction requires gasoline to overcome it. Using thinner oils will definitely increase MPG. No doubt.
From a 20 to a 30, engineering studies I've seen say its somewhere around 1% to 2%, depending on the engine, friction modifiers in the oil, and whether its a thicker or thinner version of 20 and 30 weights in the allowed visc spread there.
That might not be enough of a difference for one to see, but its there.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
GemStater, from basic physics, higher viscosity oils create more internal engine drag (friction), and that friction requires gasoline to overcome it. Using thinner oils will definitely increase MPG. No doubt.
From a 20 to a 30, engineering studies I've seen say its somewhere around 1% to 2%, depending on the engine, friction modifiers in the oil, and whether its a thicker or thinner version of 20 and 30 weights in the allowed visc spread there.
That might not be enough of a difference for one to see, but its there.

Oh I agree, undetectable but there.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
No, I don't think I need. Because if it takes tetrahethyl lead from the oil (and that's easy to spot by visual inspection), that's enough for me to confirm my statments.

Listen, you are more than welcome to believe what you want. But Doug Hillary literally ran centrifuges for millions of Kilometers WITH TEAR DOWNS AND UOA's when he was testing Delvac 1 5w-40 for ExxonMobil in the Australian outback. That's more experience with those particular products than everybody else on this site put together.

So you can poo poo Doug's data if you want to because it doesn't jive with whatever preconceived notion you are rocking here, but if that's the case you aren't going to get much out of this forum either.

Stop right there Fella, I'm a pilot with 500 hours on GA planes (small planes as you said) in my belt. I'm also an IA inspector with Airframe, Powerplant and Avionics ratings. And you?

You and Hillary can kiss now!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Stop right there Fella, I'm a pilot with 500 hours on GA planes (small planes as you said) in my belt. I'm also an IA inspector with Airframe, Powerplant and Avionics ratings. And you?

You and Hillary can kiss now!

I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night
grin.gif

Seriously though, if you have aircraft experience, I can't see how you can think that your point is somehow made with the reference to lead. Lead fall-out and accumulation in aviation engines (without a centrifuge helping it) is common knowledge
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back