best oil for engine with known cam dephaser issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: shDK
Hi all.

Just changed out the familly mazda with a new to us Renault megane stationwagon since we where in constant need of the space.

The engine in the Renault do have a verry wellknown issues with faulty cam dephasers.I got it changed together with the cambelt, and waterpump as a part of the deal.

According to the manual You can use any acea a5/b5/a3/b4 between 10-40 5-40 5-30 10-50 engineoil.

My question is. With type do all You experts think would be the best to make my new dephaser last as long as posible? I am leaning towards
5-40 because it was what the car came with from the factory. And the engine runs 3500 rpm at highway speed( 130 km/h)

the Oci is 30.000 km. I however plan on changing every 10.000 km. The engine has done 136.000 km and runs great.

Tanks
Søren

I think the best you can do is use an A3/B4 5W40 oil and hope for the best. It may or may not help the cam phasers last longer, but I'm sure a thinner oil won't either. Just make sure to choose an A3/B4 rated oil for best wear protection and stay-in-grade performance for longer OCI's. You should be able to extend past 10,000 km without issue, as long as you don't exceed 12 months.

Originally Posted By: il_signore97
Originally Posted By: shDK
Hi all.

Just changed out the familly mazda with a new to us Renault megane stationwagon since we where in constant need of the space.

The engine in the Renault do have a verry wellknown issues with faulty cam dephasers.I got it changed together with the cambelt, and waterpump as a part of the deal.

According to the manual You can use any acea a5/b5/a3/b4 between 10-40 5-40 5-30 10-50 engineoil.

My question is. With type do all You experts think would be the best to make my new dephaser last as long as posible? I am leaning towards
5-40 because it was what the car came with from the factory. And the engine runs 3500 rpm at highway speed( 130 km/h)

the Oci is 30.000 km. I however plan on changing every 10.000 km. The engine has done 136.000 km and runs great.

Tanks
Søren

I think the best you can do is use an A3/B4 5W40 oil and hope for the best. It may or may not help the cam phasers last longer, but I'm sure a thinner oil won't either. Just make sure to choose an A3/B4 rated oil for best wear protection and stay-in-grade performance for longer OCI's. You should be able to extend past 10,000 km without issue, as long as you don't exceed 12 months.

I think i will follow your advice. Seems like the best solution. Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back