anyone else notice pennzoil platinum burns easier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using PP for well over 233,000 km 145,000 miles in the Corolla. Without fail, every single oil change the PP is read at the top fill mark...then at the end of the interval the oil level is still the same, right where it was from fresh at the top of the fill mark. If my engine is consuming this oil...it must be in the order of nano-litres.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Nope, no issues whatsoever. Driving style... just saying...

I am just saying I agree with your assessment.

Its interesting that several have asserted that it takes an oil change to normalize, when switching to a new oil. My engine burned none that I ever noticed while using lubro moly 5w40 for the entire life of the engine (53,000 miles) and on the first interval with M1 0w40, I noticed about .5 qts burned in 3500 miles. I stuck with it and just did the second change last thursday, so we shall see what happens.

Ive used pp. pu. QSUD .Valvoline syn. Castrol syntec. car quest. All in the 5w30 flavor and never used a drop of oil until I used M1. At 50,000 miles I Started using almost a qt of oil between oil changes. Ive switched back to pp and in 2000 miles I used A third of a qt so far. I do 3,750 mile oil changes . Whats scary is the car only uses 3.3 qts of oil. Very small sump. But Ill never use m1 again.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
I saw 1 quart low on my '01 Silverado for the first time ever this week, with 4800 miles on its first run of Platinum 5W-30. All oil changes except the first two used Mobil 1.

I'll be using Mobil 1 again next time, and that should help me sort out whether the consumption is due to the Platinum or 102,000 miles.

I am using 0W-20 Platinum in a Vibe with no oil consumption.

And the answer to that is.......

Originally Posted By: Guitarmageddon
Its interesting that several have asserted that it takes an oil change to normalize, when switching to a new oil. My engine burned none that I ever noticed while using lubro moly 5w40 for the entire life of the engine (53,000 miles) and on the first interval with M1 0w40, I noticed about .5 qts burned in 3500 miles. I stuck with it and just did the second change last thursday, so we shall see what happens.

Voilà

Sometimes when using a brand consistently when you change brands the new oil cleans off the previous oils anti-wear layers and thus opens up little gaps that weren't present before.
Once the new oil lays down its additives the consumption should cease b
As a data point I use a different brand of oil in every vehicle i own at every oil change. I even mix brands and grades and I've yet to see any consumption in any of them.
I really don't know why other than perhaps mixing oils makes the anti-wear layers more resilient because of the different additive packages(guessing).
So op I'd not worry whatsoever. Give it a few intervals. If it continues try something else.

My civic had 3 qrts new PP and 75% of a qrt of qsud syn, both 0w20 and I went through about 40% of a qrt in about 1500 miles. It used more then usual, and might not do as well as a 30 weight but its never used that much oil. Last winter I went 3100 to maybe 3300 till It went down 1/2 qrt with Castrol 0w30.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
I put the blame more on the grade than oil type

^ What he said. 0W-20 is extremely thin oil. Consumption is inevitable.

When I switched from M1 to PP in my impala, I noticed less consumption. It went from 1 quart in 2000 miles to 2500-3000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back