Are windshields rated for chip / crack resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me compare to home toilets- they are probably rated to some plumbing standard. If you ask which flushes best you possible get told, "well they all meet the standard/regulation".
Then someone (not the government) started actually testing the flushing ability and you can look up a toilet model and see how much "poo" it will flush.

for windshields is there any test for chip resistance? my toyota oem windshield was great for 12 years, the replacement 2 years ago seemed to collect chips every 4 months even tho driven in same manner and on same route by same person.
. Is there any rating of chip resistance? my guess they are tested but the results are not published.
this last windshield is a safelite installed PGW brand. you would think there would be quality variations.

Last edited:
There is no toilet flushing standard or regulation for flushing power. There are regulations for water usage per flush, though. There is a staggering difference of poo-flushing power between expensive toilets and cheap toilets.

Similarly, there is no standard or regulation for chip resistance, but there is a regulation for what types of glass can be used for windshields.

Last edited:
excellent question ! ive replaced 3 windshields in the past two years on two different cars.. rock chips that turned to cracks in no time.

my cynical guess its more chinese content, and the quality has gone down.
I bet toyota has names of windshield vendors they WONY buy from.

anyone in the industry care to speak up?

I have driven for several decades and all the chips have happened in the last 5 years.

Usually OE windshield lasted very long, can be up to 10-15 years. Aftermarket has more chips and/or cracks in shorter time frame.

Originally Posted By: 2sld3kf2bt
There is no toilet flushing standard or regulation for flushing power. There are regulations for water usage per flush, though. There is a staggering difference of poo-flushing power between expensive toilets and cheap toilets.

Similarly, there is no standard or regulation for chip resistance, but there is a regulation for what types of glass can be used for windshields.

I don't know who makes the most durable windshields, but if you need maximum flushing power I can fully recommend the American Standard Champion 4 Max, a gravity flush toilet, or the Toto Ultramax pressure assist toilet.

I dunno, but my wife rented a car in Boise Idaho and drove to Pendleton Oregon on I84. It was winter and icy-the DOT folks in that area used gravel on it and traffic was mostly truckers that kicked it all over her Buick rental car. She got back and had a couple windshield and paint chips that she figured would be an issue. The rental folks said that's normal and they deal with replacement/repairs every spring.
My wife is also a toilet queen and the Jacuzzi water saver she got does a great 'job' with little water as it has large dump diameter/flapper.

We have had a rash of this in our fleet in the last 3 or 4 years.

I have a privateer that does mine with OEM glass, but it seems to me that the quality has slipped lately as the smallest rock causes a chip which then develops into a crack...

What has happened in the last 10 years is the glass is now thinner for weight savings. That is not the fault of China, that's our OEM's deciding the weight savings is more important than longevity.

Okay, I will accept that Chinese windshields might have more problems with optical distortions...but they know their glass...as the whole nation needs glasses! And I'm not trying to be rude either.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
We have an aftermarket windshield that was installed in the Matrix.

5 years later it looks like a sandblaster hit it.

Looks absolutely terrible.

I'll wait for it to get a crack, then I will let insurance pay for one directly from Toyota.

THere's an ongoing black market in "old" WC's. I kept our American Standards. I think the aero shape of new cars contributes to how the gravel which passes for road treatment hits windshields.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
What has happened in the last 10 years is the glass is now thinner for weight savings. That is not the fault of China, that's our OEM's deciding the weight savings is more important than longevity.

Okay, I will accept that Chinese windshields might have more problems with optical distortions...but they know their glass...as the whole nation needs glasses! And I'm not trying to be rude either.
crazy.gif

weight savings via the Environmental pilferidge agency.

seems a lower slope on the windshield would cause less cracks than an upright windshield, like on a vw bug or a honda element both of which had flatter upright windshields

Last edited:
I have not had issues with cracks as much as pitting. After two years I would like to get a new windshield.

Right now I have scratches from the ice scraper! I think VW uses really soft glass.

I got a chip in my 2014 Fusion windshield when it was just a couple of months old. The glass looks very thing.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
seems a lower slope on the windshield would cause less cracks than an upright windshield, like on a vw bug or a honda element both of which had flatter upright windshields

There's truth to that!!
I was an auto glass tech for about 10 years. Jeeps, hummers, and FJ cruisers all seem to get it pretty bad.
If ever you go to a dealer for glass replacement, specify OEM glass. Otherwise they'll call who ever they use for the used car lot and mark it up %40 and you'll get whatever glass they can get cheapest or quickest. Most glass shops should be able to get oem through stealerships but sometimes glass wholesalers will carry oem glass or at least carry a premium brand.
All automotive glass (sold in the states) should have a D.O.T. number. That indentifies who manufactured the glass. Premium brand glass manufacturers used to have glass made in China that was junk.

Last edited:
The Rat came with a repaired bulls eye. After 3 1/2 yrs, It has a crack starting. I swung by my insurance agent and Yes , I have glass ins. Yah, I went through 2 windshields in the same year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back