Auto makers trying to stop home mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're looking to protect the software code in the ECU, what does that have to do with shadetree mechanics?

There could be examples of a common module being crippled via software for some loss-leader econobox, and the makers wanting the end user unable to un-cripple said doohickey. As it stands, cruise control on a drive-by-wire car is "just a button" and some software enabled.

They already "get ya" with VIN-tied computers and modules.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
They're looking to protect the software code in the ECU, what does that have to do with shadetree mechanics?

exactly. this is about hacking the ECU embedded software and not about just repairing cars.

"TOO DANGEROUS?"

The ECU has everything to do with the shade tree and 3rd party...ie everyone other than the dealership. After the warranty period, if the ECU looses memory, or becomes corrupt, the manufacturer will not back it. But in sense, this is saying that we would no longer be able to have ANYONE reprogram a new one for us. Dealers would be the only over inflated price option. This doesn't just concern hacking and "reprogramming" this also concerns chips, aftermarket programmers, etc. The manufacturing world has long tried to squeeze everyone else out of the picture.

Yesterday, we set the timing on a 99 1500 Chevy. After setting the distributor in place it is followed by a computer program which includes the scan tool hooked to the ECU, then idle to rev limiter operation so the process can be set. Since this would now be considered a "reprogramming" if such were written, I would have to haul 45 miles to the stealership to have them do this process.

Last edited:
I've read some things about this on other forums. I'm no expert, but there seems to be disagreement among commenters about what this would do.

Some people are saying this would only affect people who want to hack/modify the actual programming for things like a performance ECU tune.

But other people have concerns this could affect diagnostic/programming equipment. One example is VCDS, formally known as VAG-COM, for VW/Audi vehicles. It has powerful diagnostic capabilities but also allows you to change settings for things like auto door locks and other stuff.

So, people are disagreeing on whether this would negatively impact some of the powerful diagnostic programs like VCDS.

I don't know the answer, and I don't care enough right now to research it more.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
But other people have concerns this could affect diagnostic/programming equipment. One example is VCDS, formally known as VAG-COM, for VW/Audi vehicles. It has powerful diagnostic capabilities but also allows you to change settings for things like auto door locks and other stuff.

That is a fantastic example. However, their previous version was reverse engineered for people willing to use resistors to figure certain things out. Cars always change one way or another, and every generation complains that they're getting too complex for the DIYer. I was doing things with the old Audi that ten years previous I would have thought impossible for someone at home.

i look forward to the bright future where those evil tuner warehouses are shutdown and incarcerated. they are a blight on the landscape across from the fedex building. also, the driveway should be only used for vehicles that are registered and inspected (city ordinance).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i look forward to the bright future where those evil tuner warehouses are shutdown and incarcerated. they are a blight on the landscape across from the fedex building. also, the driveway should be only used for vehicles that are registered and inspected (city ordinance).

I look forward to future when the EPA looses control of the economy.

Very soon now, people will look back at the good ole days when one could actually purchase a car and drive it anywhere they wanted, pull into any gas station and fill up, and even do some of the maintenance themselves.

With electronics gradually taking over the industry you will soon receive automatic speeding tickets, pay road taxes on miles driven including adjusting your auto insurance and paying out of area road taxes for going beyond your assigned boundaries.

What bothers me about all this is that the price of good older used cars is going to be driven up. There may even be new laws passed that will ban older cars.

My daily driver is 31 years old and I have no intention of ever selling it. I'm worried that someday soon it will be illegal to drive it on public highways because of these new laws protection large corporations and the ever expanding big brother government.

Yes, they are talking about average trip speed tickets, not top speed anymore, in here. Regularity races area nono ...

Funny, we have 1 st world laws (in massive mess) in a 3rd world educational system. In top of that, not enough law divulgation, to gotcha unprepared (they like more this way). And the govs and institutions (and now, their successors: The Big $ Companies) are getting corrputissima.

Last edited:
The NYS Thruway does trip average speed, I believe, for speedpass users.

I got a comment once (with the little ticket they give) that I was going fast. I didn't realize that they have entry time recorded ...

“The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.”

William Shakespeare, King Henry VI, Part 2

13.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Very soon now, people will look back at the good ole days when one could actually purchase a car and drive it anywhere they wanted, pull into any gas station and fill up, and even do some of the maintenance themselves.

With electronics gradually taking over the industry you will soon receive automatic speeding tickets, pay road taxes on miles driven including adjusting your auto insurance and paying out of area road taxes for going beyond your assigned boundaries.

What bothers me about all this is that the price of good older used cars is going to be driven up. There may even be new laws passed that will ban older cars.

My daily driver is 31 years old and I have no intention of ever selling it. I'm worried that someday soon it will be illegal to drive it on public highways because of these new laws protection large corporations and the ever expanding big brother government.

Register it in another state as an antique auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back