Read "Beast" book? by Jade Gurss 2014, Ilmor-Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half-way through, and this book is incredible, for inside info on the design of an unique racing engine in 1993, Ilmor-Penske, Indycar V8, pushrods, boosted, around 1,000 hp.

You won't be disappointed. Inside info, technical somewhat. Certainly gets into the politics of CART vs. the Hulman-George family that ran the Indy500.

I like the tech mostly. After piston and wrist pin failures in early road testing: "We made major changes in the pin. We made it stronger and improved the piston stiffness...." -Illien
Then he goes on to say it was because they were testing at around 40 degrees F, where air is denser than 60 deg F, and cylinder pressures were very high at those densities.
Many other factoids like that. Some pretty wild.

I was a Newman Haas fan at that point, I was around 9-10 years old when that all happened. I changed to being a Penske fan when The Thrill from West Hill drove for them.

I would seriously love to work for Penske Racing. I applied there last year for a parts department opening they showed, but alas no love.

Where is it available?
The Ilmor 500I is one of my favorite race engines.
A bolt from the blue that blasted the competition.

Hi all. This is the book's author, Jade Gurss. Always glad to see a discussion about BEAST. Let me know if you have any questions about the book!

Jade.

Welcome to the board, Jade!
Of course I'll have a lot questions about the book, but I should read it first.

When the 500I ran at Indy was the last time I was really interested in the 500. I was working at Cummins at the time, and living about 50 miles from the Speedway. I made it a point to get to Pole Day qualifying so I could hear it run. It sounded different from all the other engines. I've always considered it to be one of the finer examples of engineering an engine specifically for an application, then executing its build and fielding well enough to win. If it hadn't shown such superiority the first time out, maybe it wouldn't have been outlawed.

Originally Posted By: JadeGurss
Hi all. This is the book's author, Jade Gurss. Always glad to see a discussion about BEAST. Let me know if you have any questions about the book!

Jade.

Jade Gurss! I'm a little celebrity-struck right now and have no questions. I'll recover. Keep checking back in here. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your book is amazing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Welcome to the board, Jade!
Of course I'll have a lot questions about the book, but I should read it first.

When the 500I ran at Indy was the last time I was really interested in the 500.

Same here. After the IRL was formed, and everyone was running the same spec engine, I lost interest.

Originally Posted By: JadeGurss
Hi all. This is the book's author, Jade Gurss. ....Let me know if you have any questions about the book!

Interesting about how they installed the cylinder liners in a very hot (300 degF) block on the 265E engine. In comparison, I just saw a Ferrari V8 cylinder liner installation where they chilled the liners a bit, lubed them, and just pushed them in, instead of heating the block.

Anybody know where one can get 1994 Indy500 and-or other years on DVD? Makes a great companion to this book.

Someone has the whole thing on Youtube. I watched it a few months ago.

Someone else has the whole 1995 Indy 500 on Youtube and it is the satellite broadcast so no commercials and you can hear the ABC guys talking during the break.

No need to be star struck... Ha! Glad that folks are enjoying the book.

Regarding the hot install of liners, I received almost 90 minutes of descriptions and display of the entire process. Pretty amazing how the guys got so quick and efficient at it without crimping the seals, etc...

Jade.

This book has so much detail in it. And the balance of techie stuff with human-business interactions is superb. My other favorite author is Michael Lewis, so my standards are high too. Although I really don't read that many books! Tech articles almost all the time.
Maybe its because I'm a mechanical/aerospace engineer, but every time something in the book refers to thermal, dynamic, forces-moments, energy concepts, stress-strain, etc., its just mind-blowing. >>>> Those engines are pushed!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Someone has the whole thing on Youtube. I watched it a few months ago.

Someone else has the whole 1995 Indy 500 on Youtube and it is the satellite broadcast so no commercials and you can hear the ABC guys talking during the break.

Very cool! Probably the best source. Hopefully the youtube resolution is good. Back in those days of course, no ABC Sport's HDTV, right?!

I can imagine some hard-core Indy race fans have a complete set of DVDs/VHStapes, whatever, somewhere. Every race is priceless. I haven't always been a consistent fan over the years since driving in circles is sometimes boring!!! Behind-the-scenes action, drama, and techie stuff is where its really at. Thats why this book is so great.

Last edited:
I'm watching the 1994 Indy500 now on YouTube. OK, a few years late. If I look closely I might be able to see the turbo bearing disintegrate, LOL, on Tracy's car ( or at least the white smoke ).
Absolutely more interesting after that book!

Interesting how one of the race TV color-commentators toward the end of the race made a big statement on how Mercedes had nothing to do with the engineering or building of the Ilmor-Penske engine, yet will reap a PR coup from it. Trying to ruin Mercedes's party, even after they aired a Mercedes infomercial minutes before showing how Mercedes invented the car (Benz in 1885) and made racing history in the past.
That shows the animosity about the unfair advantage of the engine. Also, the crowd cheered when Fittipaldi hit the wall, showing the crowd wasn't into Penske's trick.

I remember rushing home from work in the middle 80's to 90's to watch happy hour. The growl of the Buicks and the shriek of the Chevys ,the stock -block NASCAR roar. Open wheel racing has lost its way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back